Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 11:47 AM

378 posts, read 1,569,917 times

Advertisements

Yes Tiff, I understand exactly what you mean, and your found place sounds like heaven! Seashelly, I also thought maybe it isn't very safe to go someplace alone. It's a scary world. When I need to be alone and recharge the old batteries, I take my dog on a beach walk and find a log to sit on and just watch the waves and other people enjoying the beach. There is something so soothing to me about ocean air and the sounds. Maybe the troubles don't go away, but they become a bit more manageable. I love having found this site and reading that other people have the same feelings as I do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 02:44 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,287,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffela74 View Post
walked about 5 min. through a deeply canopied treed path, then came out along the cliffs edge. Sat there, along the bluffs w/the wind whipping my hair about, no sounds but the massive crashing of the sea against the cliffs directly below me and the seagulls above. Looked out over the water, and down the 200ft. cliff drop below me, nothing in my view but a wild pacific northwest ocean, the cliffs/bluffs along, and the treeline behind me. 2 hrs and no company but the birds and some seals I caught sight of down on the rocks. And after calming down and recharging my soul, all I could think was..."Where the heck do people in places like Iowa go to think/re-charge?
Love your posts Tiffela and Oregonbeachlover! Gives me a chance to live vicariously.

I'm not in Iowa, but I can tell you where I go to re-charge..........to the Oregon forum or anywhere else I can read about the Oregon coast. I know, I know not a substitute for the real thing but we do the best we can.

To Alinka, I haven't decided yet. I still hope to visit in September or October to have a more serious go at narrowing my choice. Would love to hear when you decide where you hope to land.

Old 08-03-2008, 05:30 PM

741 posts, read 1,379,246 times
Yes, I also look forward to reading Tiffela, Oregonbeachlover and the others who make beautiful Oregon seem so real.

Regarding the "happy place", I didn't know it was not safe to walk on the beach alone!

Then again, I was confused by an earlier thread about driving on the beach, can't really understand why anyone would want to do that...

Mollyblythe, I have to wait for years yet, until spouse retires. Or win a lottery. Coast I know for sure, and not too far south because I am done with heat and sun. So far I think Cannon Beach as the farthest north but don't know how far south to consider. Very much still learning.

Old 08-03-2008, 05:51 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,045,187 times
It does suck to always have to be aware of your surroundings and who else might be there. But Ive got a few safety precautions up my sleeve, and leave if anyone else comes my way. So far, ive never had anyone bother me there, but I know theres always the chance. Plus, even when Im fried, i let my husband know where I'll be so if im gone too long, here he comes! Lucky for me too, i get cell reception there.
but I do appriciate the thoughts and concern.
of course, then theres my husbands cousin, who got a concealed weapons permit and carries a gun w/her when she goes out alone!

Alinka, i have never ever understood anyone wanting to drive ON the beach either...really ruins the natural beauty of it all IMO.

mollyBlythe, you oughta check out some of the live oregon coast webcams too, they're pretty great too!

Old 08-05-2008, 12:24 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,235,032 times
Speaking of 'strange characters', lol, recently while I was standing at the cliff overlooking the Sea Lions, suddenly, climbing up over the cliff pops up a guy carrying a 5-gallon bucketful of golfballs, lol. I guess the currents drift the missed balls that way from the local golf course. I'm wondering how much the current bounty rate is now for a recycled golfball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon