Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2008, 05:58 PM

10 posts, read 37,789 times

Advertisements

We didn't get much response under the Eugene forum thread so we'll try here. I'm considering applying for a position in Eugene which would require a relocation from the Austin area. We currently live outside of town on a 1 acre lot where we can have chickens, llamas, etc. We are free from city zoning and have no home owners association. Our neighborhood is stable with complete freedom from burglaries or other crime. Are there close in (bike commute distance) areas near Eugene which would offer a similar living arrangement that would not break the bank?

Any comments on a Texas to Oregon move in general would also be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 08:54 PM

290 posts, read 1,180,834 times
I don't know anything about Eugene.

We moved from Austin to the Portland area earlier this year and so far we love it. It is different. I used to think that Austin was green until we moved here. Here are the changes from the top of my head:

1. Temperature is more moderate. Today, it got to mid 90s, but that is unusual for this area, and even when it did, the humidity was fairly low, so it didn't feel sticky. Next week it is supposed to be in the high 70s...

2. No fire ants! Mosquitoes don't go after you!

3. More friendly drivers and whole lot less pickup trucks and large SUVs on the road. You still see them, but they are very few.

4. The coast here is a short drive and we've been there 3 times since we moved. Yes, we love it. Haven't been to Mt Hood yet, but we plan to do that soon. There is so much to do outdoors it is incredible. There are some guides you can pickup at the bookstore and a lot of online info that helps.

5. Food wise, the groceries here seem to push more organic. Multiple farmers markets (at least in the Portland area) around and you can taste the difference. We like that.

6. Austin has a much better economy. But if you have a job, I guess it doesn't matter much.

7. There is a state tax but no sales tax. Property taxes are about 30-40% lower (from my experience). House insurance is about 50% less than Austin. Most bills are less in general. But at the end of the day, the cost of living is similar if you factor in the state tax. I guess it depends on how much you make.

I'm sure by now you heard about the gray season.. My personal take, is that it is no big deal. Sometimes it feels like you will never see the sky for few days.. but it is mostly psychological than anything. Best advice I heard from someone that is local: When it rains, don't stay home....

Welcome to Oregon!

Old 07-13-2008, 09:38 AM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
All cities in Oregon have UGB's (Urban Growth Boundaries). These are designated areas of city development and everything outside the boundaries is rural development. Oregon has very strict zoning laws.

What you need to know about the UGB's is that it makes it hard to divide farmland into smaller plots for development (Measure 37 aside for a moment) so what that does it put a premium on smaller acreage parcels. I don't know what "break the bank" is for you since I'm not sure how Austin prices compare to us, but land is not cheap in Oregon.

Unless you live in an actual rural development, most rural land does not have HOA's or CC&R's. You will have county codes, and there are rules about the amount of land you must have for certain animals. I don't know what the requirement is for llama's. A lot of people have them out here, so there may not be rules.

I'm not sure if there are any Eugene agents on this forum, but if you gave the folks a price point they might be able to direct you.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:27 PM

758 posts, read 2,370,845 times
I disagree with Silverfall about the prices, but there is less availability - it takes some looking. That said, only about 30% of the population wants to live in a rural area. If you have a rural place, it can take a year or so to sell unless it's priced right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon