Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 11:11 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,608,720 times

Advertisements

You used to be able to drive on Cannon Beach by Haystack. It was always interesting to see the monthly spectacle of a car stuck when the tide hit. We all watched in a horrid wonder one year when a pristine restored 56 chevy convertable went slowly under, sand up over the rims. I agree with the others that say "WHY"??? park your car and walk -and enjoy the splendor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 12:33 PM

1 posts, read 22,001 times
Others opinions aside, I agree it is fun to drive on the beach. It is a different sort of experience and a MUCH easier way to get your gear to your camp spot for the day. I agree that you should keep legal obey all rules and respect others in the area.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:08 AM

1 posts, read 21,395 times
Default Drive on Beach

I have a disability. It would be nice to be able to drive an ATV on a beach. Maybe with a handicap permit. I lost a leg in Viet Nam. Maybe the State can find a way to help persons with a disability get on the beach..

Old 06-30-2010, 06:09 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
You used to be able to drive on Cannon Beach by Haystack. It was always interesting to see the monthly spectacle of a car stuck when the tide hit. We all watched in a horrid wonder one year when a pristine restored 56 chevy convertable went slowly under, sand up over the rims. I agree with the others that say "WHY"??? park your car and walk -and enjoy the splendor.

I've heard some kayakers say they parked
there when fishing Haystack.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:39 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,631,619 times
The state's Department of Transportation publishes an "official state map" every few years (the current version is for 2009-2011). It has a "beach vehicle accessibility" key along the side, showing the classifications for various stretches of shoreline.

There are six categories: Vehicles Prohibited; Vehicles Allowed; Vehicles Prohibited (May 1 to Sept. 30); Vehicles Prohibited (May 1 to Sept. 30, and from sunrise to sunset during weekends and holidays Oct. 1 to April 30); Vehicles Prohibited (May 1 to Sept. 15, 12:01pm to midnight); and Vehicles Allowed (Oct. 1 to April 30, 7am to noon).

Large stretches of the shore are open to vehicles.

You can download a copy of the 2007-2009 map (or order a copy of the current version) from this website:

Oregon Highway Map - ODOT Geographic Information Services (http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/TD/TDATA/gis/odotgis.shtml - broken link)

Old 06-30-2010, 08:42 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,450,202 times
OK here is an informative answer without all the bleeding heart environmental oh please don't drive on the beach crap.
At least for the North coast.
You can access the beach at Gearhart and several points north (Gearhart is just a little north of Seaside) and drive almost up to For Stevens State Park. Several miles.There are several access points.
Driving on the beach is easier than driving onto the beach.
If you are lucky, the access points have been recently graded and it's easy getting on,
If not, you run the risk of getting stuck if you are in a car.
Some access points are better than others, if you are not confident, try the next one.

If you get stuck and it's a weekend, expect a lot of people to drive by you shaking there heads thinking you are a dumass or laughing at you before somebody stops to help.
If it's a week day, it may take longer for help to arrive because there are less people, but there are lot less idiot people.
If you plan to drive on the beach, get ahead of the game and take a folding shovel and a tug strap as a minimum just to be prepared. If you have that stuff, it's more likely you'll get helped out a hell of a lot quicker than if you are unprepared and helpless.
(What I mean is, say for example you need a jump start. Having jumper cables in your car will dramatically increase the odds of getting help, because few people carry jumper cables.)

There is also a 25mph speed limit on the beach. Turn your headlights on so other people (on foot and in cars) can see you. Don't drive fast. People will park and let the kids and dogs out and they are all excited about the ocean and will not pay attention to anything but the waves. People will run right out in front of you even though you might be the only car in sight. And YOU will get the finger or the dirty look. You never know whats going to happen. It's not like it's super crowded or anything, but chances are it will be foggy and visibility might be low. Driving on sand is way different than driving on asphalt. If you go faster than 20-25mph it can get squirrely.
It should go with out saying to constantly pay attention to your surroundings.

If you get out of your car to enjoy the surf, park away from the water. Always keep a window rolled down if you get out of your car with the engine running so the wind won't slam the door shut and your are stuck with your car running with doors locked and the tides coming in. Don't ask how I learned that by the way.
Don't get crazy and drive in the water and splash it up. Drive on the drier wet sand, it's firmer. (OK, go ahead, it's fun but be careful and wash the salt water off the underside of your car later. And the birds WILL get out of your way!)
Stay away from the dune side. Stay on the surf side, but not to close to the water. On the dune side, the sand is drier and softer, increasing the chance of getting stuck.

Remember where you got on the beach. Find a landmark and remember it. You won't realize how far you drove, then you'll turn around and won't remember where your entrance/exit was because sand and dunes all start looking the same.
That particular stretch of coast is a wonderful place to find your own Razor Clam digging spot or a good surf fishing spot, or just get away from the Seaside thing. Don't do stupid things, wildlife LEOs are ALWAYS out there and I have seen many, many tickets written.
Overnight camping is not allowed, but feel free to bring along lots of wood and have a nice big campfire. I have been to many fun party/BBQs on the beach at night. Just don't overdo it and please watch the tides and the waves.

IF YOU HAVE LITTLE KIDS AND LET THEM RUN AROUND ON THE BEACH, KEEP THEM CLOSE AND NEVER LET THEM OUT OF YOUR SIGHT.
ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE NOT PHYSICALLY ABLE TO HAUL ASS RUNNING AND/OR SWIMMING LIKE AN OLYMPIC ATHLETE AT A MOMENTS NOTICE TO SAVE THEM FROM DANGER.

BAD THINGS NEVER HAPPEN SLOWLY.

Also realize that on the surf line, it's cool and windy more often than not. If you want to stop and hang out and enjoy life on the seashore, bring some warm clothes and a blanket unless it's the middle of summer. You will be happy you did. Oregon ain't Hawaii.

I'm not trying to scare people, but it totally amazes me how people don't think about the simplest things.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 06-30-2010 at 10:09 PM..

Old 01-02-2012, 04:04 PM

1 posts, read 19,679 times
Some of us drive on the Oregon beaches for easier access to fishing points that otherwise would be much harder if not impossible to reach with our gear. It also gives a 'secure' place to leave our belongings so that they do not 'grow legs' and walk away. I have on several occasions had my gear 'borrowed' while parking in some of our State Park systems 'midnight auto supplies' parking lots even on extremely busy days.
If used in a responsible manner and rules obeyed, beach access has many desirable aspects... and if abused, becomes yet another irritation of all involved. And always when dealing with the Pacific Ocean, pay attention at all times.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:30 PM

1 posts, read 19,319 times
Driving on the sand at the coast does not do any more damage than digging in the sand. As long as you stay in the marked areas it is fine. If you have a car that leaks oil or gas then just stay away. Prove me wrong but I don't think you can hurt sand by just driving on it. You probably do more damage to your car by driving in the sand. Just like any other activity we shouldn't limit it for everyone just because some like to break the rules.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:13 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,652,432 times
Default So, you wanna drive on a beach?

Mildly off topic... Check out Longbeach Washington. Miles and miles of drive-able beach. There is a beach vehicle culture there.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:17 AM

381 posts, read 1,015,964 times
I know that Pacific City has no probs at all with cars on the beach, and Gearhart (just north of Seaside) allows you to drive on the sand, no sweat. The local police are the only ones who drive on the sand here in Rockaway Beach, along with the occasional fish and wildlife vehicle.

As far as actually doing it? It doesn't hurt anything, but if you don't pay attention to tides and hazards (logs, debris, etc) you can wreck your car/jeep/truck in an awful hurry, and a sneaker wave can ruin you day if you're not paying attention.

If you're disabled, ask, but I do know that most types of bicycle, scooter, and suchlike are okay. Not too sure about ATVs, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon