Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 07:48 AM

12 posts, read 93,923 times

Advertisements

Where can you drive on the beaches on the Oregon coast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 09:16 AM

103 posts, read 523,924 times
look up the oregon dunes

Old 07-15-2008, 11:16 AM

2,091 posts, read 9,048,239 times
i never understood where anyone would want to drive a car/truck on the beach....But hey, thats just me!
I know you used to be able to up by Pacific City, we were there one summer when some guy showing off for his girl ran over a kid playin in the sand. The little boy lived, but I remember all the rescue vehicles and all coming out to get him...i guess he was pretty crushed and injured bad...
you might still be able to.
I know theres another place up north, near Astoria, but honestly, not sure exactly where.
Tiffany

Old 07-15-2008, 01:16 PM

I found this in part of an article off google...

“The State clearly marks on the official highway map on which beaches one may drive a vehicle and when. For example, never in Lincoln County without a State Park permit,” he said.....
There are only a small handful of these spots as well, such as around Cape Kiwanda, a little area around Tierra Del Mar, a tiny stretch in the middle of Lincoln City, and a couple spots around Warrenton and Gearhart. You should never dirty up Oregon’s beaches by driving your car on places where it’s not permitted......
BeachConnection.net’s official stand on the subject is that no one should ever drive on the beaches, and visitors should ignore that temptation even in those places where it is legal. It makes the beaches dirty and unattractive and it encourages meatheads with some sort of attitude to run amok. Drunken redneck locals do it as often as boozed up visitors with a penchant for the wonton. Neither demographic is appreciated by this website......
A few years ago, a group of young, sauced tourists went on a joyride on a beach at Cannon Beach in the middle of the night, which ended in tragedy when the car slammed into a rock structure."

BTW, I see you posted an identical thread up in the Portland forum...can we combine these two? might make life easier for everyone...

Tiffany

Old 07-15-2008, 01:18 PM

oh, and a bit more i found that you might find helpful..

Facts & FAQs - Oregon Coast Visitors Association - OCVA (http://www.visittheoregoncoast.com/home.cfm?dir_cat=20787 - broken link)

"There are places along the Oregon Coast where you are allowed to drive on the beach. Some of these places are restricted to certain times of the year. The information of when and where there is beach vehicle accessibility can be found on the left side of the Official Oregon State map put out by the Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT) – Contact (503) 986-4000 for a copy of the map. Website: www.dfw.state.or.us."

Old 07-15-2008, 02:16 PM

21 posts, read 130,877 times
According to the Oregon Dept. of Transportation Official Highway Map, there are limited stretches along the entire Oregon Coast where this is allowed, with higher concentrations between Florence and Gold Beach. I would browse the map to be sure. In my own experience, I have found a drive-on section in Pacific City at the Pelican Restaurant, which overlooks Haystack Rock. Be careful driving down the concrete ramp onto the sand, while there is often an abrupt edge. Another spot is at the Seagull Motel in central Lincoln City, which appears a little more challenging than the previously-mentioned location.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:38 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,718,056 times
I find this sort of sad, that someone would want to drive on a beach. I find it also sad that people want to drive/bike/ride over delicate mountain flora also, but that is done as well. I think you should have to be mobility impaired for that sort of thing. But hey, that's just me.

I love to drive, too--I just think it is a different experience than enjoying the natural earth's beauty.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:09 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,236,871 times
I know of an area at Horsfall Beach near Coos Bay and then directly North that is vehicle accessible and another area at Whiskey Run Beach near Bandon then directly South where fishermen drive to their fishing spots but watch for flying golf balls and incoming tide times. Areas of the Snowy Plover Bird Nesting Grounds are definately closed. I recently heard of a proposal brought before the Oregon Government to consider allowing the handicapped to be able to use motorized vehicles along the beaches so they too could enjoy the beauty of the coastline. lol, I've actually encountered bicyclists pedaling in the sand along the beach. So not only keep an eye out for sneaker waves but heads up for traffic, lol.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:35 AM

3 posts, read 48,526 times
Check out Sand Lake, near Tillamook, too...

Old 07-17-2008, 09:49 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,236,871 times
There's also a stretch just north of city limits of Port Orford to Cape Blanco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon