Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2008, 08:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,277 times

Advertisements

Hello - I've heard great things about Oregon and am considering the state as an option for my wife and I to relocate to, as I begin my medical career. We love the outdoors and enjoy skiing, hiking, biking, running, etc. We also enjoy the arts, good food and adventuresome people. We'd appreciate your insight into what city you recommend for a young professional couple. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 11:13 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,839,798 times
The places that have the most of that stuff are not going to be the largest cities. You'll have skiing close by in Bend or Hood River. There's wind surfing on the river in Hood River too. Hiking can be done but it's better when it's not during winter. The snow makes hiking difficult although I have done it. Bend has some ads out for art there.

Biking and running would be more popular some place like Eugene. There's not a lot of snow there but you can drive up to the Cascade mountians easily enough from Eugene.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:56 AM

15,518 posts, read 40,267,236 times
I would recommend Portland. It has access to it all.

The next choice would be Eugene.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:26 AM

39 posts, read 245,098 times
Cascades East Family Medicine Residency
2801 Daggett Avenue
Klamath Falls, OR 97601
(541) 274-4611
Cascades East Rural Family Medicine Residency Program - Klamath Falls, OR

Old 07-20-2008, 06:46 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,640 posts, read 57,683,287 times
Consider if you can handle (desire) the rainy west side and do your activities wet, or prefer to do your activities while staying dry.

I have not enjoyed my outdoor activities to the level I did while living in dry states, (especially biking) but for some it is not a problem to do them in the rain.

I would move to the area that best suits your desires and career aspirations. There are many benefits to serving residency in smaller rural locations and dealing with rural trauma situations where you don't have the benefit of nearby trauma center. But there are specialty advantages to being in a highly skilled area.

I would also consider the relationship aspect of both staff and patients. Rural can be much different than urban (good and bad).

Explore your options, then do some serious interviews / evaluations. It can be real bad to get into a situation where you are stuck with no options. More career options for your spouse in the busy-ness of suburbia. Much of the PNW has close proximity to your choice of activities, but... I'd lean towards rural or east-side (of Cascades) for deeper relationships and higher quality of life. For faster pace, cultural variety, and wet - choose west-side.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:57 PM

480 posts, read 2,461,227 times
Bend would be a great area for you to check out. Lots of opportunities in medical fields and all the outdoors you can handle

Old 07-22-2008, 08:16 PM

10,987 posts, read 20,492,394 times
Live in Ashland, work in Medford. Medford also has a VA hospital.

Neither provide much in the way of employment options for a spouse outside of medical professions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon