Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 02:36 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,467,337 times

Advertisements

One of the nice things about Jacksonville is that while it is its own municipality with its own vibe, it is so close to Medford that it is almost part of it, so you could in theory live in Jacksonville and work in Medford. In fact you could live in Jacksonville and be closer to Medford's downtown core than are some of the people that live within the city limits of Medford. Jacksonville is not cheap, though, and not easy to get established in (all of westvillemama's post is spot on -- you should read her last sentence twice and take it to heart). There are also some rather strict planning ordinances that will affect how you can develop property within the city limits of Jacksonville. As Nina-in-Ashland mentioned, there are some attractive rural areas (especially along Old Stage Rd.) between Jacksonville and SW Medford that are even more convenient to Ashland and Medford. Some areas of SW Medford itself are not so bad, but others are a bit sketchy.
Also, if you wanted a more rural spot, the area uphill (to the south) of Jacksonville between Jacksonville and Ruch offers some beautiful vistas out over the valley and are probably above the inversion layer that can affect air quality there. There are lots of madrones, manzanitas and black oaks up there...very lovely. It's a drier more Mediterranean landscape than what one would ordinarily associate with Oregon and afternoon highs can get just as hot as Albuquerque at this time of the year (though summers are ordinarily wonderful in the Rogue valley and fall is just sublime).

If you are an established freelance writer, it seems to me that an internet connection is your only real consideration for where you can live, isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 12:18 PM

4 posts, read 10,082 times
I am very happy to read this discussion and find out that Jacksonville has not changed that much since I grew up there in the 50's and 60's. (The streets roll up at 6:00 pm.) I graduated from Jacksonville H. S. in 1957.

I was thinking that maybe, if you don't just have to live in J'Ville itself, you might look for a home out towards Phoenix. Actually, I think moving more towards Ruch is a better idea.

Old 09-01-2008, 02:27 AM

1 posts, read 2,215 times
Default Love that Jacksonville

I grew up in Jacksonville in the mountains. Surrounded by hippy communes and cave dwelling gold miners. We yelled across the hill to our friends that didn't have phones (I guess that's a holler I lived on the back of my horse and rode most of the trails through the mountains surrounding Jacksonville. Too poor for a saddle so rode bareback with a rope tied around head for a bridle. We would ride to the top of the hill behind the Britt Music Festival. I would lay on my horses back while he grazed and we would listen to the concerts down below. Wonderful memories. It is different now. Many city people moved out into the forests with us. They had strange boundary issues that were foreign to us hillbillies They didn't like you to run across any part of their property to catch the school bus, eliminating all the great short cuts through the trees on trails. They complained about dusty roads and dogs. They were not friendly to the old 90 year old miners that would hike in and out of their cabins or caves to get their supplies. They would turn away from the mentally handicapped man that would expect your wave everytime you drove by. They didn't seem to understand our ways.

Now there are fences and "No Trespassing" signs. You no longer bump into cattle grazing in the hills. You no longer go into the hills because the trails all go through someones property that doesn't want you to cross for some reason. Like your footprints discolor their prize?

Don't worry about fitting in with the locals. Most of them are not locals themselves. The old miners were forced into senior homes and the "real" mountain people have reatreated further into the forests. It is a beautiful little revived town. People in nice clothes wander the streets. Lots of tourists. Cute shops. Great Music. Only about 15 minutes from Medford malls. House prices have gone way down. They have foreclosure buses that drive people around to see the best buys. Good time to buy. Not a lot of jobs available. My daughter and her husband just moved here. Took 2 months for him to find a job at $13 per hour. Even with a CIS degree.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:04 AM

1,457 posts, read 6,029,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigourney79 View Post
Hi everyone, I was enchanted with Jacksonville when I visited there last month and am seriously considering moving there. And, guess what, I AM NOT from California, but from stinky, crime-ridden Albuquerque. I work in an art gallery and am a freelance writer (advertising creative director burnout), so I'm hoping I can find similar work in the Rogue Valley area. Any thoughts from people who live in Jacksonville or nearby? I'd appreciate hearing from you.
Can't help you about the work. Unless you want to do it there and send it via the internet - the writing.

Our last address was Upper Applegate Rd., Jacksonville. Very close to the Ruch Country Store, 10 minutes west of downtown J-ville, taking Hy. 238. Home is still for sale too. Completely restored manufactured on almost an acre. We move there, because the home and property cost was not as severe as Jacksonville proper. Might even be higher than Ashland. Central Point is moderate for that area.

J-ville seems to have art displays, but not much that I'm aware of for galleries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon