Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 03:14 PM

216 posts, read 909,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vks View Post
Both nice cities with excellent schools, parks, and commutes to Portland. It seems to me that LO is more beautiful, but in a fake/Disneyland sort of way. I prefer the natural beauty of West Linn. It is more relaxed, less fussy.
My thoughts exactly!!! WL is more down to earth, and with very friendly people. I notice very few smile in LO, which in my opinion should be contagious when you smile at them? Unfortunatley money brings snobbiness. I live in WL, but aso enjoy the LO lake, parks, downtown, and everything else it has to offer, because we are so close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollandv View Post
Wow, reading this thread one year after posting, and it still crackles. From afar -- without having visited either town yet but considering both for my next move -- I have to say West Linn sounds much more welcoming. The two main LO cheerleaders (and a couple in the peanut gallery) put on quite a superior, odious air. What a turn-off.

Will be up to scout properties soon. Interesting to see how they compare. Is West Linn really a shabby hodgepodge of wannabes living in McMansions as one poster says? Is Lake Oswego at heart just a snooty faux village dripping with disdain and flower baskets?

We'll see.
WL has so much character through and through, I do not see how it can be described as "mcmansions"!! What a twit! There are pockets just like anywhere (LO has them too), but for the most part, all the homes are so unique, with their own bit of charm. I love how in my neighborhood no house looks the same (no cookie cutter blah).
Very hilly, green, views galore, and clean! What a great combo. LO does have a lot of planters, with vibrant colors (which does add to the cities charm), but for me, that homey feeling is just not there. It feels too plastic I guess. Beautiful place though for sure!!

Good luck on your search. I know you will enjoy both cities.

Old 08-18-2009, 05:08 PM

West Linn made #64 on best places to live for 2009! Not bad!! I have to say I am a very proud resident.
Best Places to Live 2009 - Top 100: City details: West Linn, OR - from MONEY Magazine

Old 08-19-2009, 03:10 PM

11 posts, read 37,860 times
Lake Oswego is a well established city with many wonderful neighborhoods and plenty to do. The entire city revolves around Oswego Lake and is located against the Willamette River. By having a wonderful downtown area, Lake Oswego has the best of both worlds. Great neighborhoods (each with their own neighborhood association), and a beautiful, vibrant downtown area.

West Linn is becoming more established, but feels divided. You have those on the hill and those in the Willamette area. West Linn feels like two separate cities, whereas Lake Oswego is unified around Oswego Lake.

Lake Oswego is the place to be, that's why houses are the most expensive in the state. Even ranch-style houses are pretty spendy! And it's virtually impossible to buy a house on the lake for under a million dollars.

Lake Oswego was recently noted in TIME magazine for raising 1.6 million to save teachers (impressive, given the economy!). That is down from the usual 2 million raised in previous years. No other city in Oregon, and probably the United States, raises around 2 million each year to save teachers. That's something almost no city can compete with.

People in Lake Oswego are proud of these achievements, and if that comes off as snobby, so be it.

BTW, Lake Oswego was ranked #79 on CNN's list this year. Two years ago, Lake Oswego was ranked #34.

PS:
hollandv,

What type of houses are you looking for? Maybe I can assist you in the areas that would be best suited for you in Lake Oswego.

Last edited by JS00; 08-19-2009 at 03:26 PM..

Old 08-23-2009, 03:53 AM

2,781 posts, read 7,207,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollandv View Post
The two main LO cheerleaders (and a couple in the peanut gallery) put on quite a superior, odious air. What a turn-off.
Says the person living in Southern California of all places...

Old 08-25-2009, 11:12 AM

Again, both have different feels to them. One more money feel and pricey, and the other more homey and countryesk. It's all about preference. Some people just prefer to be in a more laid back atmosphere with friendly neighbors. I love that WL is beautiful and considered affluent with great schools, but without the mentality of "keeping up with the Jone's". It's just a preference....Yep, LO is ranked #79 on the 2009 best places to live list, and WL is #64. Both GREAT cities, with different feels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS00 View Post
Lake Oswego is a well established city with many wonderful neighborhoods and plenty to do. The entire city revolves around Oswego Lake and is located against the Willamette River. By having a wonderful downtown area, Lake Oswego has the best of both worlds. Great neighborhoods (each with their own neighborhood association), and a beautiful, vibrant downtown area.

West Linn is becoming more established, but feels divided. You have those on the hill and those in the Willamette area. West Linn feels like two separate cities, whereas Lake Oswego is unified around Oswego Lake.

Lake Oswego is the place to be, that's why houses are the most expensive in the state. Even ranch-style houses are pretty spendy! And it's virtually impossible to buy a house on the lake for under a million dollars.

Lake Oswego was recently noted in TIME magazine for raising 1.6 million to save teachers (impressive, given the economy!). That is down from the usual 2 million raised in previous years. No other city in Oregon, and probably the United States, raises around 2 million each year to save teachers. That's something almost no city can compete with.

People in Lake Oswego are proud of these achievements, and if that comes off as snobby, so be it.

BTW, Lake Oswego was ranked #79 on CNN's list this year. Two years ago, Lake Oswego was ranked #34.

PS:
hollandv,

What type of houses are you looking for? Maybe I can assist you in the areas that would be best suited for you in Lake Oswego.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:15 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,681,428 times
Quote:

PS:
hollandv,

I can't wait to get back down to the states and go rowing on the lake

Old 08-26-2009, 02:40 PM

11 posts, read 37,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Girl View Post
It's just a preference....Yep, LO is ranked #79 on the 2009 best places to live list, and WL is #64.
I have a feeling the reason West Linn is ranked higher (this year) is because houses are cheaper to buy in West Linn.

When the economy was good, back in 2007, LO was ranked #34 and West Linn wasn't ranked at all.

Old 08-29-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
I have a feeling the reason West Linn is ranked higher (this year) is because houses are cheaper to buy in West Linn.

When the economy was good, back in 2007, LO was ranked #34 and West Linn wasn't ranked at all.
And comments like that is why I chose WL.

Old 09-05-2009, 03:20 PM

21 posts, read 92,167 times
Default allow me to point out the irony

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
Says the person living in Southern California of all places...
The Philadelphian chides the southern Californian for commenting on comments about the area of Oregon she's considering moving to.

Last edited by hollandv; 09-05-2009 at 03:21 PM.. Reason: omitted word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon