Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 12:44 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,046,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnodak View Post
I now live in Washington and nothing here beats the Oregon coast. True that the coast has small towns so you see small town things. Hello---no money to make it fancy but over all I would not say it is trashy. If you want to see trash check out ocean shores and the surrounding area in Wa. One also has to remember that the coast plays havoc on homes and trees and other items there. IMO their is nothing more beautiful than the southern Oregon coast. Remember a small town is just that and you are not going to see mansions. Besides who is going to look at anything besides the beautiful coast---that is what this is about I think. Remember salt water takes a toll.
We spent a year living in and travelling in Western Washington and I totally agree. Washington beaches were terribly depressing. There were nice little spots here and there... but all the trash and people, development and even vehicles being allowed to drive on the beaches there just really ruin it all. Also, it's so much more of an effort to even get to the nicer coastal areas in Washington state... in Oregon it's so much quicker because we don't have anything like the Olympic peninsula - or the awful traffic like they have around the Tacoma and Seattle area. The ferries, also, during the year we were there were having problems (some even being found not to have passed some kind of inspection and were being used anyway!!!) and we would also come into contact with drunk people and sketchy people on the ferries. It wasn't a pleasant experience there.

So glad to be back in Oregon. We lived and travelled in California as well, have spent time on the east coast, and also the gulf coast, and as far as America's coasts go - On the mainland in the lower 48, Oregon is by far our favorite.

We just spent some time tide pooling in the Newport area. If anyone is looking for a nice place to stay - check out Schooner's Landing. It's a timeshare place, but you can call or just drive up and rent a place for the weekend. We paid $150 per night for a wonderful condo, fully stocked kitchen, large jacuzzi bath, views of the ocean... you walk right to the beach. Lovely tidepool area and a historic lighthouse nearby. The condo's also had a heated indoor pool and things like pool and books and games... it was wonderful and really so affordable for all the ammenities they offer guests.

Also - the area around Strawberry Hill and Carl G Washburne is also really nice. Love that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 09:55 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,807,144 times
I think the Oregon coast is stunning as it is. I did the trip too a few weeks ago. I have never seen more beautiful beaches. True, some of the towns are a little ragged, but I'll take it just the way it is. If you make it all pretty and polished too many people would move there and ruin it. I say it's just right! LOL.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:31 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
I think you're right, Karla. Geez, people live and work on the Oregon coast just like they do everywhere else. Maybe it's sort of "trashy" in places but I never thought of it that way. Sometimes I think that some tourists think that everything should be just for them.

Old 09-07-2008, 01:25 PM

36 posts, read 284,011 times
as someone definitely considering moving to small town inland oregon, I think that the tackiness seems to be taking over so many towns in america. I know where I now live here in southbury, connecticut; they've got zoning and seem to attempt to keep that " rural atmosphere". but the stores are still creeping in, shopping center after another; this in both southbury and the once-" rural" town of newtown CT. talk about " tacky" both towns, like many in CT; seem to be getting more and more full of overpriced, yuppie-women's high fashion clothing stores like ann taylor loft, chicos,talbots,gap and all those other expensive, preppy-career clothing stores! yet here in much of CT, they do NOT allow mobile homes on land because it will bring in " trailer trash", they say! go figure! I think I'd rather live someplace like rural oregon where the term " rural character" means just that! not a place full of 4,000 sq ft. " country" homes on two acre lots designed for those " always on the go" people whom can afford to both drive mercedes' SUV's and wear " casual" chicos, "dress-to-impress" clothing even on weekends when not working!

Old 09-08-2008, 02:45 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,047,056 times
I spent several weekends going from Coos Bay, to Newport, back down to Coos Bay again this summer (I live in CB and Newport is the drop off point for when the kids go visit grandparents/ uncle/etc. ) anyhow, this thread got me thinkin....so the FIRST time, i looked and looked, to try and see all these burned out vehicles/couches/huge garbage pits along 101. Didnt see any....so, I thought, very possibly, Im being too objective. Its too personal for me, maybe Im just missing it!! besides, im driving, this cant be safe or smart!. So, I enlisted my kids. ages 6-14, and offered them cold hard cash for any of those items they saw along roadside/beachside. Kids bored on a road trip....offered money for spotting items?...oh many, I thought, there goes MY piggy bank!! Guess what, after all summer of traveling up and down and up and down that stretch, none of them made any $$$ at all!! They got close one. there WAS a burned out moterhome along side the road. And I though, "crap, thats a dollar item!!" but then I realized, it was actually in the lot of a tow/fix it place! So, there went that!
anyhow, I just wanted to share my little experiment.
Oh, only one bad note. We had stopped off at a viewpoint area because my boy was carsick, another car w/some out of state visitors had stopped as well. They had appearently stopped to have lunch and enjoy the spectacular view, but then, just took their fast food bag, full of garbage, and tossed it out their car window!!! OMG! RUDE!! So, before I can stop her, my little one says "Youre not supposed to litter!! Mom says so!!" and where I was mortified that she spoke to strangers like that, their response really ticked me off. The guy looked at her and says "F*&# Off.....you dont like it, YOU pick it up!" then called her a dirty name, flipped her off and then off they went. OMG!! This is to my 6yr old!! I was NOT happy. So, calmed her down, got a bag out of the back of my car, and stuck their garbage in in too to toss when we got home. and heck ya, I used a baggie to pick it up. So anyhow, that was the garbage we dealt with. Unbelievable how some people will talk to a child. jeez.
but hey, no fridges/couches/etc. all the way.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:11 PM

378 posts, read 1,570,287 times
Wow, that is so funny Tiffela! What a good idea, but I'm so sorry that your kids didn't earn any money. I'm still looking for a burned out vehicle or sofa on the side of the road in Lincoln City too, as it was posted by someone that LC was one of the worst for this. Hmmmmm.

That's terrible about that rude person! I wish we could know where they are from because then you could've started a new thread with that info, ha,ha,ha. Those *&^#@^# are everywhere, unfortunately. Because LC has so many tourists, I am usually around "happier than normal" people while out in public places there.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:26 AM

375 posts, read 1,725,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonbeachlover View Post
After all these years, driving along the Oregon coast still takes my breath away. Literally. What you may see as "tacky", I view as quaint and "beachy" and that is what makes beach towns appealing to me. Beauty must be most definitely in the "eye of the beholder", because I see the Oregon coast as beautiful. I also love watching the cloud formations over the ocean. They change so fast. I'm sorry if you didn't see a completely sunny day. We have it all.
I agree and I live in N. CA. I have been to Oregon several times. We may buy a place there in a couple of years. We've done that trip and it is beautiful.

It is what it is! How someone keeps their lawn shouldn't get in the way of enjoying nature. Plus who needs snotty, control freak HOA members acting like Nazi Gestapo telling people how they should live on their own properties. The people that live on the coast are free spirits. So stop being so uptight and let your hair down some. You might learn something!

Old 09-09-2008, 09:24 PM

47 posts, read 408,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Transplant View Post
My feedback on the Oregon coast was it must of been really nice 30 years ago but now it is kind of tacky. Sure there are some nice areas and State Parks but so much of highway 101 goes through some of the ugliest towns in America. They include: Seaside, Lincoln City, Newport, Reasport, Coos Bay, etc. All of these towns seem to have little in the way of zoning, landscaping or architectural controls.
Would Brookings and Gold Beach fit this classification? I'm thinking of vacationing there but if those towns look ugly & run down maybe not...

Old 09-10-2008, 03:16 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,819,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Would Brookings and Gold Beach fit this classification? I'm thinking of vacationing there but if those towns look ugly & run down maybe not...
Haha, no way. Brookings and Gold Beach are very nice towns. I can't think of a single coastal town that's TRULY ugly. There are some that are a little... rustic... Like Coos Bay and Tillamook. But the towns should be the least of your worries. The Oregon Coast is one of this world's crown jewels.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:17 PM

378 posts, read 1,570,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
Haha, no way. Brookings and Gold Beach are very nice towns. I can't think of a single coastal town that's TRULY ugly. There are some that are a little... rustic... Like Coos Bay and Tillamook. But the towns should be the least of your worries. The Oregon Coast is one of this world's crown jewels.
I agree with you that "the Oregon coast is one of the world's crown jewels", backdrifter! I really don't understand it when people slam it, and I probably never will. It's just so beautiful, and I love all the beachy towns too. I know there are other people who see it all as I see it, so yeah!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon