Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2008, 11:08 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,109,595 times

Advertisements

I have not lived in the NW long enough to get a firm grasp on the universities, their strengths, and their reputations (particularly the smaller ones), so I was hoping for some feedback.

I am considering going back to school for an MBA...most likely in information systems. Ideally it would need to incorporate some distance learning (but I'm not too interested in online universities etc.), off-hours classes, etc., as I intend to remain fully employed and at my current location.

If I were building a "wish list" of MBA programs in the NW, what schools would be on top? From a little research, it looks like U of Washington's business school is the big dog in the region (sorry Ducks fans)...but they don't seem to offer the distance learning etc. I mentioned above.

What schools have a strong focus in IT in their b-schools?

Finally, what schools offer the best bang for my buck? Most of these programs are really expensive, but the most expensive isn't always the best or the best value.

Thanks for any insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 11:42 PM

540 posts, read 2,173,648 times
I graduated from the Oregon State MBA program in 2005. It is really an awesome program with a focus on Entrepreneurism; the entire program is centered around developing a business plan. I learned a lot and met some terrific people in the process. There IS an IT focus on part of it, but I don't think it is what YOU are looking for. There is no distance learning component as it is centered around your team, your business concept, and developing an effective and marketable business plan.

A great program, but you want to cross the Beavers off your list I think.

DaveP

Old 08-14-2008, 01:57 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,542,136 times
I know Portland State University offered a program years ago and I assume they still offer it. I ended up going to the University of Washington years and years ago, so I know nothing of PSU's current offerings, but you should check them out.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:34 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Babson (~$60k) and Cornell (~$100k) have 'fast-track' programs in Portland. They usually meet one weekend a month or every 6 weeks, it is reasonable to do while employed. WSU Vancouver might have IT specialty in their MBA program. Also check UofP,

The traditional Universities seem to be very focused on 'course style work', which is of questionable teaching value for experienced adult learners and it is very laborious to go to school several times / week if you have family, home and work responsibilities.

Marylhurst, George Fox, & Concordia U offer weekend 'budget' MBA programs, depending on your career needs and future salary expectations. I have contacted some alumni of several programs, they all seem pleased, but a 'top-dog' program may help your career if you are quite young. I'm quite old so will be satisfied leveraging my 30+ yrs of international business and a previous engineering career with an 'econo' MBA to get me through my second half. Earnings are not top on my list, as I will be doing a lot of volunteer / NGO work, maybe even the Peace Corp to get student loan forgiveness

Old 08-15-2008, 09:56 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
Talk to your target employers, ask their opinions.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:13 AM

758 posts, read 2,371,449 times
Let me ask WHY you are going for your MBA. If it is in order to become a future larger-firm CEO, then your choice needs to be national and you should attempt to get into one of the top national schools (Stanford, Harvard, etc.). If not, then there are a couple more options: If you plan to live in the area where you will be attending school, you'll find doing so will yield connections. If you are migrating or open to migration, then cost may be a consideration.

If cost IS a consideration, move to California, work for a year to establish residency, then attend one of the fine evening programs available. An MBA at Portland State or George Fox is $21K; the same or better program at San Jose State is $7K, and you're in the heart of Silicon Valley. It's more expensive to live there (inability to buy a house in a one-income family caused me to move away) but it's great experience.

Pardon the plug for my school SJSU BS (Accounting) '88, MBA '93

Old 08-15-2008, 01:33 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,109,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiled View Post
Let me ask WHY you are going for your MBA. If it is in order to become a future larger-firm CEO, then your choice needs to be national and you should attempt to get into one of the top national schools (Stanford, Harvard, etc.). If not, then there are a couple more options: If you plan to live in the area where you will be attending school, you'll find doing so will yield connections. If you are migrating or open to migration, then cost may be a consideration.

If cost IS a consideration, move to California, work for a year to establish residency, then attend one of the fine evening programs available. An MBA at Portland State or George Fox is $21K; the same or better program at San Jose State is $7K, and you're in the heart of Silicon Valley. It's more expensive to live there (inability to buy a house in a one-income family caused me to move away) but it's great experience.

Pardon the plug for my school SJSU BS (Accounting) '88, MBA '93
Thanks, good advice. I don't see myself relocating outside of the Pac NW anytime soon. I work in the tech industry but don't have the proper educational "pedigree" and I have noticed something of a glass ceiling to opportunities/payscale without it. Plus I do have some knowledge gaps. I don't have aspirations of CEO big wigs; hence my interest in IT specialization to strengthen my knowledge and credibility, rather than going to an Ivy-type school with a management emphasis for some future board of directors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon