U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 09:43 PM

2,317 posts, read 7,190,744 times

Advertisements

Grants Pass has tons. Especially this summer I've been seeing SO many California plates. I'll be sitting at a stop light and be surrounded by cars from California. It's ridiculous. There's so many that they can't all be accounted for as traffic from Crescent City and vacationers coming through or stopping by on the way further north on the 5.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 05:27 PM

414 posts, read 1,508,327 times
We moved from California but love Oregon for what it is. We aren't trying to change the place at all. If anything, I think the state should have a sales tax and lower the tax rate on wages. It would help the working people while getting some money from all of us retirees. We don't pay much beyond property taxes. It would be fairer than how it is now, although I'm not an activist for this change. Most native Oregonians blanch at the thought of a sales tax. If that's how they like it, then that's good enough for me.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,405 times
Now with California having unprecedented fiscal difficulties, once again, new waves of refugee migration will likely be coming to Oregon, after the next phases of up coming economic meltdown declines. There are concerns that the Oregon infrastructure, already overloaded in certain areas, will not be able to handle the new waves of influxes.
The new migrations will be in search of work and will be less affluent than past migrations. Already our "pretty" City of Portland is experiencing unprecedented higher unemployment than the surrounding rural areas of the state, possibly due to artificial City management policies against manufacturing and dirty businesses and in favor of "pretty" businesses such as boutiques, salons, Art shops, theaters, movie production, clothing and other consumption and entertainment sectors. These vulnerable service jobs and associated bohemian lifestyles have been the first to be effected by economic declines.

Portland-area unemployment exceeds state average
by Richard Read, The Oregonian
Tuesday May 26, 2009, 9:09 PM
http://www.oregonlive.com/business/index.ssf/2009/05/portland_area_unemployment_exc_1.html (broken link)

During the last century California grew significantly with the westward migrations of the Great Depression. Today, as this Depression deepens, Californians, their backs against the Pacific Ocean, look northward for relief, to the visual prettyness of our city and will now remember this as teir own misery index of combined unemployment, high taxes, crime, gangs, road warrior scenarios, infrastructure collapse, rise rapidly over the next year.

Study the collapse in Argentina....we are becoming a third world nation.

The Argentina Crisis of 2001:
[URL]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argentine_economic_crisis_(1999-2002[/URL]

The Take (documentary on collapse with Naomi Klein)
[URL]http://market.theworkingworld.org/?action=coopStore&name=thetake]theworkingworld.org[/URL]

Last edited by Oregon-Mecca; 06-04-2009 at 06:21 PM.. Reason: unexpected font control charactors showing.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:30 PM

7,785 posts, read 16,636,134 times
Our job situation is pretty dismal now, right along with the rest of the country. Since it's at least as bad as California, I don't really forsee huge numbers of people making the switch.

I did read a laughable article in Moody's about how Oregon will "come of the recession" faster than other areas, due to our "strong high-tech" - apparently people from Moody's haven't been reading the local papers about the tech layoffs. Traditionally, in past recessions including the tech crash, the Portland metro area goes into it a little later and come out of it a lot later (with the rest of the state lagging) than other areas. I can't really see any reason that this time would be any different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon