Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 08:47 AM

44 posts, read 121,697 times

Advertisements

Please forgive me, as my point of view is of someone from upstate NY who is looking to relocate. I currently have a job in Albany, NY and would not move unless I landed a new position elsewhere (I am not the type to quit my job, pack up and leave somewhere and *hope* for the best). So please don't write me off as one of those Young-and-Stupid™ types that quit their job for the romantic outlook of a bohemian life in Portland and just hope that they might gain employment.

As a 26-year white male with a Masters of Science degree in Information Systems and a few years of professional experience, I naturally started looking into Portland. What I've been noticing is, aside from the nationwide job scare, is that Portland in particular has a dreadful job market. It also seems to be the #1 relocation place for college grads, which just makes the competition for jobs more fierce. Sounds like, from the forums, that Portland natives are now resentful of any outsiders moving into their state (outside of California types, which over the years I've noticed that Oregonians seem to have always hated).

For these reasons, I've all but crossed Portland off my radar. But everything else I've seemed to love about coastal Oregon seems to exist in Salem. The cooler but not so drastic weather, the scenery, the cost of living... Granted, I've never visited the state, this is just what I've read online and seen on TV.

I was interested in Oregon in general, not just Portland, as long as it's the coastal side of the state. Since I only really like the city atmosphere, Portland, Salem and Eugene are the only places on my radar. From what I've read on here, Eugene comes across as a bit too conservative.

So since Portland's job market seems to be in the crapper and natives seem to resent outsiders (especially late-20s people with college degrees), should I be looking into Salem as an alternative since my soul still seems attracted to Oregon state?

I've been looking into Texas as an alternative (Austin, of course) but please don't make me write off Oregon just yet. Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 02:17 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,108,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elranzer View Post
Please forgive me, as my point of view is of someone from upstate NY who is looking to relocate. I currently have a job in Albany, NY and would not move unless I landed a new position elsewhere (I am not the type to quit my job, pack up and leave somewhere and *hope* for the best). So please don't write me off as one of those Young-and-Stupidâ„¢ types that quit their job for the romantic outlook of a bohemian life in Portland and just hope that they might gain employment.

As a 26-year white male with a Masters of Science degree in Information Systems and a few years of professional experience, I naturally started looking into Portland. What I've been noticing is, aside from the nationwide job scare, is that Portland in particular has a dreadful job market. It also seems to be the #1 relocation place for college grads, which just makes the competition for jobs more fierce. Sounds like, from the forums, that Portland natives are now resentful of any outsiders moving into their state (outside of California types, which over the years I've noticed that Oregonians seem to have always hated).

For these reasons, I've all but crossed Portland off my radar. But everything else I've seemed to love about coastal Oregon seems to exist in Salem. The cooler but not so drastic weather, the scenery, the cost of living... Granted, I've never visited the state, this is just what I've read online and seen on TV.

I was interested in Oregon in general, not just Portland, as long as it's the coastal side of the state. Since I only really like the city atmosphere, Portland, Salem and Eugene are the only places on my radar. From what I've read on here, Eugene comes across as a bit too conservative.

So since Portland's job market seems to be in the crapper and natives seem to resent outsiders (especially late-20s people with college degrees), should I be looking into Salem as an alternative since my soul still seems attracted to Oregon state?

I've been looking into Texas as an alternative (Austin, of course) but please don't make me write off Oregon just yet. Your thoughts?
Eugene too conservative?!?!? Only if you consider Burning Man to be middle-of-the-road.

Salem and Portland are very different. Primarily, Portland is a much larger city. Salem is only around 100-120K. They are only about 45 minutes to an hour apart. Because of the smaller size, there will be fewer jobs. Salem is the capital and there would likely be a lot (relatively speaking) of government IT jobs. The job market is terrible everywhere in Oregon right now. However, you are probably right that more young hipsters are moving to Portland than Salem, so there would be some reduced competition in that regard.

You are wise to look for a job prior to moving, regardless of where you relocate.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:59 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,467,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elranzer View Post

Definitely some fact-checking that's gone awry here. Neither Portland nor Salem are "coastal Oregon." They're both in the Willamette Valley that runs in between the coast range and the Cascades. They're separated from the coast by mountains that range from 2,000 to 4,000 ft. in elevation. That's why the climate there is so different from the climate on the coast.

There's a bit of agricultural land to the north of Salem, but really, greater Portland-Salem is getting to be almost a continuous conurbation. Salem's vibe though is nothing like Portland's (some would say there is no "vibe" in Salem). Many regard Portland as the only true urban area in Oregon. Salem and Eugene are mid-sized cities whose territory and populations have increased, but without really producing an urban feel. If you truly "only like the city atmosphere," then it's probably Portland or somewhere-not-in-Oregon. But Portland -- and the surrounding metro area -- is a great city, one of the few U.S. cities to be ranked in the top 50 of the world's most livable cities. Your post just doesn't really resonate with the outlook of someone with first-person experience with Portland...or any other part of Oregon, for that matter. Eugene is one of the most liberal cities in the western U.S. A few people find it to be insufferably so..."Berkeley North" as it is often called.

With regard to the notion that native Oregonians resent "outsiders," that doesn't conform to my experience when I moved here from Arizona. In fact, I never knew who was a "native Oregonian" (whatever that means) and who wasn't. Do people walk around with a tattoo on their forehead that says " just moved in from out of state"?

Last edited by Steve97415; 05-26-2009 at 03:53 PM..

Old 05-26-2009, 03:17 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
I agree with Steve that you have your information mixed up. I have lived in the Portland West Hills and currently Salem.

Eugene is NOT conservative and in fact Salem is MUCH more conservative than Eugene. Of the three cities, Salem is by far the most conservative. If you want the "city" atmosphere, I think you will be disappointed with Salem. Having come from the Chicago area to Portland to Salem, it is a very slow paced medium sized city. Salem is almost 150,000 people, but it doesn't have a bustling downtown/active restaurant/nightlife here.

The unemployment rate in Salem is higher than Portland and I think Eugene might be higher than Salem's. Honestly, Portland sounds like it would be a good fit for you.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:18 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,817,845 times
The other posters pretty much covered all the bases. Salem is the most conservative and bland of the three largest Oregon cities, though it is more moderate than truly conservative. Eugene really is "Berkeley North" but has more of a down to earth hippie Kumbaya vibe than Portland's trendier feel.

Portland has the best job market in the state at the moment (and usually does, for that matter). So that's the one biggest concern you should have.. If you can land a job in Oregon you'd be lucky, and I think you'd enjoy Portland the most for its urban vibe, but even Portland feels like an overgrown small town. Eugene is a great town, but it is more of a town than a "city," despite being the second largest urban center in the state.

Last edited by backdrifter; 05-26-2009 at 03:26 PM..

Old 05-26-2009, 03:32 PM

12 posts, read 44,835 times
Native Oregonian for 31 years. Born, raised, and living in Portland.

Salem sucks. Crime rate is high, meth is huge, there's very little culture, parts of it are extremely trashy, and your options for employment are limited. Seriously, stay away from Salem.

Eugene, well, half of it is extremely liberal, the other half conservative and slightly hick-like. The railroad track separates it all. Lol. The University of Oregon resides here, so that can either be fun or a pain depending on your likes. Lots of weed heads in Eugene, known for its hippie tendencies. Pretty laid back.

I love Portland/Bridgetown/P-Town/Rose City so I will be a bit biased here. I like the culture, theater, restaurants, centralized downtown area, festivals, food markets, bicycling, bicycle friendly, great mass transit, close to the mountains and coast, good backpacking/hiking, lush, amazing summers, lots of rainy days and coffee shops and books, microbrew capital of the country, forest park, washington park, mt. tabor, mt. hood, mt st. helens, 3 hrs from Bend and mt. Bachelor. I could go on. Portland really is probably in my top 3 for the entire country.

The job situation is difficult in Portland. Not just unemployment and landing a job, but advancement and opportunity. Opportunities are tough to come by. This has always been the case.

Overall, I'd say stick to Portland over Eugene or Salem. Regarding out of state peeps, I've lived here my entire life and I haven't noticed any sentiment like that at all, at least from my circle of people. Maybe towards Californians, but I suspect this is the case everywhere, simply because of their stereotypical image-orientated fast-paced lifestyle. Go to any of the city forums and you'll see hatred towards Californians. My point, I talk to people everyday who just moved here or are recent transplants, and I welcome the diversity and the freedom to make opportunity wherever you please.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:48 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,468,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tytus View Post
Regarding out of state peeps, I've lived here my entire life and I haven't noticed any sentiment like that at all, at least from my circle of people...My point, I talk to people everyday who just moved here or are recent transplants, and I welcome the diversity and the freedom to make opportunity wherever you please.
Ditto. I've been here over 20 years, and I have never heard any such sentiments (other than some comments on this board) about "newcomers" or "outsiders." Leave that for the malcontents. Please don't judge an entire state from anonymous comments on a forum.

If you are able to find a job, good on you! And even better that you were able to get a degree. Congratulations!

You may also try looking at Olympia, Washington and some of the other larger cities in Washington. It never hurts to try ,,,

Old 05-26-2009, 04:05 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,169,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tytus View Post
Regarding out of state peeps, I've lived here my entire life and I haven't noticed any sentiment like that at all, at least from my circle of people. Maybe towards Californians, but I suspect this is the case everywhere, simply because of their stereotypical image-orientated fast-paced lifestyle. Go to any of the city forums and you'll see hatred towards Californians. My point, I talk to people everyday who just moved here or are recent transplants, and I welcome the diversity and the freedom to make opportunity wherever you please.
My best friends from San Francisco moved to Portland about 10 years ago, and have never had ANY trouble with anyone's attitude toward them just because they came from California. Maybe it's because the state has 38 million people are not all of them are obsessed with a "stereotypical image-orientated fast-paced lifestyle" ?

I like Portland a lot and consider moving there every time I visit my friends, but I honestly don't know if I can handle the winters there more than a couple years. I can telecommute so maybe I should just bite the bullet and rent there a couple years to see how I do. I lived in upstate New York when I was in grad school and the short winter days got to me, but they didn't have SAD light boxes back then...

Old 05-26-2009, 04:15 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,817,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
You may also try looking at Olympia, Washington and some of the other larger cities in Washington. It never hurts to try ,,,
This is a great suggestion. Olympia, Tacoma, and Seattle are all worth looking into.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:58 PM

927 posts, read 1,946,821 times
If you can possibly manage it I would recommend taking a trip out here and spend a week (or even two) exploring the state. This is to get a feel for our part of the world that you evidently have not gotten from your other sources. Frankly I do not have much confidence in them and the previous posters have elaborated as to why.

Our economy is in the loo right now and Oregon has been hit particularly hard. It has hit me in a personal way. Unemployment here is worse than in any other state except Michigan and some of our rural towns and villages are sporting numbers in the low 20% range.

Having grown up in New York, not too far from where you live right now, I can understand and sympathize with your desire to move somewhere else. Your credentials are impressive and if there are any jobs in your field you stand as good a chance (or better) than many others who are after the same employment. The gotcha here is: there aren't any or very few.

I am realistic enough to believe we haven't seen the worst, either; but am also optimistic that "the worst" isn't much bleaker than things are right now. We have already gone through most of our crash and things will start to improve slowly in a year or so. I am the last one to discourage you from moving out here and if you do score a job you're more than welcome but from the viewpoint of someone sitting in the middle of the swamp I believe your best bet is to grit your teeth and hang tough where you are now for a year or two the revisit you intentions to join our family.

Last edited by FVWinters; 05-26-2009 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon