Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2008, 09:33 AM

115 posts, read 212,688 times

Advertisements

We're contemplating moving out of Portland and I can't bear the thought of selling our house, in case we want to come back. We have a 2,200 sq ft house right off of NE Alberta that has a completely redone back yard and beautifully renovated kitchen (complete with Viking range). We painted last summer so it's truly beautiful from the exterior. How do I know how much I could get for it? Do people typically pay all their own utilities in a detached home situation? Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 10:21 AM

480 posts, read 2,466,516 times
When we rented a couple of years ago, it was a short term rental of 6 months length. A rental agency was involved - I'm sure they got a nice commission, but they did all the advertising, background checking, money collecting and maintenance so the owner didn't have to be involved at all. In our case, we needed to arrange for everything to be in our name but the water (i.e. trash, electric & gas & phone.)

Sounds like you have a lovely home that would be a shame to rent out to the wrong person. I'd recommend contacting a couple of rental agencies, (including one that specializes in renting to corporations) to see what they charge. They'd also know what a fair price would be.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:21 PM

404 posts, read 1,338,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendite View Post
When we rented a couple of years ago, it was a short term rental of 6 months length. A rental agency was involved - I'm sure they got a nice commission, but they did all the advertising, background checking, money collecting and maintenance so the owner didn't have to be involved at all. In our case, we needed to arrange for everything to be in our name but the water (i.e. trash, electric & gas & phone.)

Sounds like you have a lovely home that would be a shame to rent out to the wrong person. I'd recommend contacting a couple of rental agencies, (including one that specializes in renting to corporations) to see what they charge. They'd also know what a fair price would be.
That's very odd.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:05 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,884,016 times
Interview and find a good property manager. They will handle everything. Rates vary from 8 to 10 % a month for the service, and most require half of the first months rent.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:09 AM

480 posts, read 2,466,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechmanOR View Post
That's very odd.
Do you think so? Hm. My daughter rents a townhome and has the same requirement. I thought it was pretty common

Old 08-22-2008, 11:10 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,690,487 times
If you go with a property management company be sure to be very specific about everything and put it in writing. A few years ago we rented our house out in Colorado and used a management co. with a good reputation. It turned out to be a nightmare! We must have had the worst property manager possible. We were specific that we wanted NO smoking, yet because we didn't have it in writing (we didn't think it was normal to allow smoking) our renters smoked in our house. We also wanted a 1 year lease, but mentioned that we would consider a 6 month. We assumed the property manager would contact us if they had renters who wanted a shorter term lease. Again, this was not the case. Our renters only signed a 6 month, and because we said we would consider one, our agent took that as a yes. It turned out to be a good thing since the renters smoked. It sounds like you have a really nice home, so I would make sure you are very specific with what you want. I would also ask for a nice security deposit to make sure you are covered for damages. Good luck!

Old 09-21-2008, 08:02 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,296,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
If you go with a property management company be sure to be very specific about everything and put it in writing. A few years ago we rented our house out in Colorado and used a management co. with a good reputation. It turned out to be a nightmare! We must have had the worst property manager possible. We were specific that we wanted NO smoking, yet because we didn't have it in writing (we didn't think it was normal to allow smoking) our renters smoked in our house. We also wanted a 1 year lease, but mentioned that we would consider a 6 month. We assumed the property manager would contact us if they had renters who wanted a shorter term lease. Again, this was not the case. Our renters only signed a 6 month, and because we said we would consider one, our agent took that as a yes. It turned out to be a good thing since the renters smoked. It sounds like you have a really nice home, so I would make sure you are very specific with what you want. I would also ask for a nice security deposit to make sure you are covered for damages. Good luck!
I cannot second this advice enough. My mother has rented out my childhood home for 20-something years now. She has been through it ALL and has learned the hard way. Yes, her leases are now novella length but they are SPECIFIC and she has her butt covered this way.

She has managed to keep the house in good shape due to stringent leases, but it hasn't protected her from people skipping out and breaking the lease and not paying and so forth, even with thorough credit and background checks and even though it's a higher end rental home (for the town)...

She has had property managers screw her over and over. It's a small town so what seems to happen each time is that the prop. manager becomes buddy buddy with the tenant and with one property manger in particular it came down to her asking "Just WHO are you working for, anyway?" She fired her and got her fees back from the agency over the mess, but overall she chooses to use a property management company only to initially list the property, get the lease signed, do the credit check and such, then they are off the deal. She pays a flat fee for this vs. monthly. It's risky because she is doing it long distance but she's found it works better for her in the long run, after losing monthly PM fees for PM's who weren't doing anything about lease violations, properly handling needed repairs, etc.

I am in a similar situation as the OP: we just bought our house 2 years ago and I, too, cannot bear selling it... but we want to get out of the area so we're considering renting it out, but it terrifies me, because we're in a lower income area and we cannot be as "picky" about tenants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: