U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2007, 10:43 AM

1,869 posts, read 4,028,033 times

Advertisements

What was ALL that smoke from yesterday along the South Coast in the North Bend/Coos Bay areas? We were out of the area in the morning and spotted it North from Florence and had others call and ask from Coquille. I'm thinking it was just another forest cleanup burn since I didn't hear it mentioned on the tv or newspaper. We actually had white ash dropping from the sky in our subdivision and I noticed the Coast Guard helicopters were watching from above. The air quality needs to be monitored and tested more over here. It's terrible. *choke-cough-choke*. (Keep this in mind if you are planning to move to the Coast and have lung or breathing problems).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2007, 11:07 AM

331 posts, read 1,795,032 times
We were in Grants Pass just yesterday and people are using their fireplaces so there was some smoke in the air. By afternoon, the air was clear. We did see some selective burning of trash in our travels. I think it is normal this time of year as Oregonians tend to burn a lot of wood in winter.

Dan

Old 02-01-2007, 02:19 PM

2,091 posts, read 8,727,036 times
sorry bout that all, Hubby was cooking on the bbq.

Hummm, you know, I didnt really notice anything besides my not so bright neighbors burning a bunch of plastic in their fireplace. We smelled it first, then saw all this black nasty smoke settling down all around the house (then ours) so went over there in fear of what we might find. They answer the door and are baffeled at why we are concerned.....it was just their old pop bottles, bubble wrap, and a box of old tupperwear that they didnt want anymore. Few other odds and ends. They didnt want to pay the extra 2.00 for an extra garbage can out on pickup day. sigh. Hubby spent many years as a V. fireman, so he gave them the lecture/education on why not to burn plastic, especially in bulk. Hopefully that wont happen again! lol
But I dont think thats what you saw....humm....did you call the FD? They should be able to tell you.
Tiff

Old 02-01-2007, 03:01 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,609,419 times
I read in the newspaper that they were doing slash brning above the bay. I suppose winter is the best time for that.They had a picture of the sunset turning red which was caused by the smoke. I was out that day but didn't notice the smoke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon