Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Living in cancer cluster area in Oregon, undrinkable water, overpriced grocery stores, poor job economy, economy driven by drug sales, high poverty rates

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 11:42 AM

13,070 posts, read 7,502,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJefferson View Post
I live on the Oregon coast, have for seventeen years. We have had over these seventeen years a disproportionately higher percentage of brain cancer deaths in our community. In talking with a 15 year RN from Lane County at a Eugene hospital I was told that they have had a significantly higher percentage of brain cancer patients who live on the coast than from any other location in the state. Why hasn't this been looked into?
Weather related.
Rainfall on the head is a possibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 01:17 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJefferson View Post
I live on the Oregon coast, have for seventeen years. We have had over these seventeen years a disproportionately higher percentage of brain cancer deaths in our community. In talking with a 15 year RN from Lane County at a Eugene hospital I was told that they have had a significantly higher percentage of brain cancer patients who live on the coast than from any other location in the state. Why hasn't this been looked into?
Once upon a time the persistent insecticide Lindane was used as a treatment for head lice. One application was nearly 100% effective. Then they found out that a single application of Lindane would double your lifetime chances of brain cancer. They took it out of Kwell immediately, but it is still available under prescription. Until 1988, Chlordane/Heptachlor was the most popular insecticide for treating dampwood termite infestation in homes. It is one of the most potent carcinogens ever tested. Pentachlorophenol was hands down the most popular wood preservative. It is not only a potent carcinogen, but has contaminated the soil and water table under old pressure treatment facilities. The Lower Columbia is also so contaminated with chemicals that native fish and river mammals show a high incidence of tumors. Don't eat any clams from near the mouth of the Columbia.

Old 08-13-2017, 01:29 PM

3,069 posts, read 1,680,587 times
OP:

I know that some people like to live more isolated, but what took you to the middle of nowhere?

Old 08-13-2017, 02:01 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,823,925 times
The OP made one ranting post in 2008 and hasn't been back. A lot of the post reads as though someone moved from a large city to a very rural area and had no clue what rural life was like.

Old 08-13-2017, 02:13 PM

3,069 posts, read 1,680,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
The OP made one ranting post in 2008 and hasn't been back. A lot of the post reads as though someone moved from a large city to a very rural area and had no clue what rural life was like.
I have a nasty tendency to not pay attention to posting dates and need to get better about this.

Old 08-13-2017, 02:26 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,927,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I hope that wherever he moved to has bigger fonts.

Old 08-13-2017, 03:44 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,823,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I hope that wherever he moved to has bigger fonts.
I think that happens when you cut-and-paste from a wp (like Microsoft Word) in to CD. All kinds of odd font and html info shows up

As far as water quality, it can be dicey in volcanic country, even when there are no other issues. The flood basalts that underlie most of Eastern Oregon can be hard to find water in and the water can be naturally high in arsenic and a couple heavy metals.

Old 08-17-2017, 11:21 PM

4,606 posts, read 2,994,775 times
Default impressed

PNW-Type-Gal and Larry Caldwell, you two are 'fonts' of information!

Old 08-21-2017, 09:26 AM

356 posts, read 503,006 times
Very interesting map, and more so when you filter by type of cancer.

https://www.cdc.gov/cancer/dcpc/data/state.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon