U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 09:48 AM

6 posts, read 12,115 times

Advertisements

Hello, I moved from a small farming community in Montana to Salem this summer. Children are grown, Husband passed away. Always wanted to live close to the Sea . I chose Salem because my sister lives here. I like Salem , don't get me wrong. But it's bigger than I like. And not close enough to the ocean.I finally got the time to make it to the coast. First stop Lincoln City. Of course the Splender of the Ocean was Fantastic. It was a beautiful weekend . Went down the coast checking out all the cool towns doing the stopping and buying newspapers of the areas. Nothing really grabbed my attention BIG TIME until I arrived in Coos Bay Area! I fell in Love with the area. You have the Lakes, streams ,Beautiful country roads,awesome little villiage shops, wildlife,good schools,hospital, and very friendly folks living there. and a Wal-Mart.Seems like you have all my check marks filled with what I am looking for. From Montana, where the 9 months of winter are harsh,cold, and like all small towns or cities have downsides, You only live once...Make the most of it. I have my winter cloths if I need them and Am looking forward to my relocation.Maybe my kids will relocate there also one day..Can anyone drop me a line and let me know more.

Last edited by lighthearted; 08-30-2008 at 10:05 AM.. Reason: added
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 12:35 PM

2,096 posts, read 8,491,230 times
hi. I live here in Coos Bay, and LOVE IT!!! lemme know if you have any specific questions I can help you with.
Tiffany

Old 08-30-2008, 11:45 PM

Hi Tiffany, Thanks for the reply. I guess what I most want to know is how the winters are. People here in Salem think I'm nuts for wanting to get closer to the Ocean, say it's dark and gloomy in the winter.I really don't care what the winters are like I have my mind set and plan to relocate when my lease is up here. I can handle the rain alright, I have noticed a change in my skin as Montana is dry.I have searched the net for info on the area but coming from a real person is so much better.How long have you lived there?

Old 08-31-2008, 10:03 AM

Ive been here for just over 5 yrs. Written lots of posts on Coos Bay. I think it'll help you too, if you put Coos Bay in the search option and read over all of them. Theres many points that have been debated back and forth.
As for winters here. Pretty mild compared to many other places. Although, we DID get SNOW!!! here last winter! It lasted long enough for my kids to go out and play in it for a few hours, then it was all melted away. sigh....(i like snow) It can be rainy/windy for days on end. But its never been bad enough to keep me indoors and out of my routine. Except for 2x. We had a big windstorm here, what was it, bout 2yrs ago I think. Enough to cause some trees to go down. We lived directly on the headlands though, and suffered no more than our empty garbage can flying into the neighbors hedge. Then last winter, we got another day where it was really windy, some pretty BIG gusts! we lost our gutter spout and electricity for a few hours. Its been the only weather related closure my employment has had in the whole time ive been here. (I work in a kids sports program) You'll still get good days mixed in. Wont be gloriously warm and tank top time, but some clear blue skies that make the eyes ache.
We moved here owning several heavy duty Columbian Outfitters jackets. Took the heavy lining out the first year, and have never had to put it back in again.
winter time along the coast is one of my fav. times of the year. I LOVE to watch the ocean churn on a wintery day. I like the solitude too. Although, i can talk your ear off, especially if I end up in line w/you somewhere! lol
anyhow, do the search on Coos Bay, read over the threads, theres lots of other people chiming in that you may find very helpful.
Gimmie a holler though if/when you have more questions.
Tiffany

Old 09-02-2008, 10:50 AM

Thanks Tiffany You Have been such a help to me and others as I read the Posts

Old 09-03-2008, 01:05 PM

1,829 posts, read 3,849,263 times
I say Do-It. Make the move to the Bay Area if for no other reason, for the new adventure and excitement of it all and you won't be left wondering what if.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:11 AM

27 posts, read 159,732 times
Wink Welcome Aboard!

Hi lighthearted:

Welcome to Oregon and the coast.

As a newcomer to this forum but a native to the area, it sounds as though you have done your homework and are ready to call Coos Bay home!
I think you will be happy here, as you already know that through the Internet, as long as you can stay in touch with those you care about and can jump in the car to take care of whatever else, home is wherever you want it to be.

If I can help out I would be glad to.

In the mean time, be sure and check out my website; oregoncoastescapes.com anytime you want to see the Southern Oregon Coast!

enjoy!

Last edited by coosbaytv; 09-04-2008 at 10:20 AM.. Reason: add photo

Old 09-04-2008, 10:52 AM

ohhhhhh coosbaytv, I like it!
another way to check out coosbay, or at least a small part of it, is on coosbaywebcam.com Its a constantly updating webcam over the bay off cape arago. Right now its showing clear and beautiful! I love to look at it, its only a house apart from where I used to live. Jeez I miss the smells/sounds that comes from this view! ahhh well. At least I can still look at it via the computer...or drive about a mile away. lol

Old 09-04-2008, 11:03 AM

27 posts, read 159,732 times
tiffela74:

Glad you like it!

Will check out the webcam...

be sure and pass around my url especially if you know folks in the midwest...

thanks!

See ya round CB...

Old 09-14-2008, 06:31 PM

Default Here I come

Hi, Just a quick note to say I took the plunge. I am on my way to the Bay. Been packing and making arrangments for the move, and I can hardly wait. Thanks All
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon