Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2008, 07:44 AM

7 posts, read 20,760 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
We live in the South and the conservatives are killing us! We are trying to decide between Colorado, Boise, and perhaps somewhere in the NW. What we are looking for is a neighborhood within easy driving distance to a big city (for a fun night out), but in an affordable and safe place. We have two children, but are willing to send them to private school if they are affordable (if the local schools aren't good). We would like to live in a neighborhood that is established - NO cookie cutters please. Preferably a craftsman bungalow-ish neighborhood. We are pro-diversity and culture, but we also don't want crime. And it has to be affordable. (I'm sure you've never heard that before huh?) This is likely going to be my main problem as I now live in an area of town where the median house price in my area is $150-200K. I know, I know....dirt cheap! Fixer uppers are fine. Would like to live in close proximity to colleges/universities as I am in higher education and may switch schools as the career options increase. No more than a 30 minute drive to work. If I am being too picky, it's not intentional and some of these requests are negotiable - I just don't know what's out there, and from what I see on these threads, the more specific you are the better. If my husband and I both have jobs that are in the $40-60K range ($80-120K combined) can we still afford to live there and have a life?
PS - I don't mind cold weather, but I HATE RAIN! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 09:15 AM

15,572 posts, read 40,413,812 times
If you hate rain, the PNW is not for you.

In Salem, OR you could get a small cottage (900-1200 sq feet) for that money. Portland and Eugene are more expensive than our town. You could get something in Monmouth, Independence, or Dallas in that price range. They are small, conservative towns though.

Oregon is a primarily Caucasian state. There are many threads on here about our lack of diversity. I don't think Colorado or Idaho rank up high on the diversity scale either.

We have a lot of cloudy days, and it spits rain a lot. It sounds like that would rule out the PNW for you. Bend, OR would probably work, but it is not affordable by your definition.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:19 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,691 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfergus3 View Post
Hi All,
Colorado, Boise, and perhaps somewhere in the NW. ...
PS - I don't mind cold weather, but I HATE RAIN! :-)
Having come from Colorado to PNW (weSt-side of cascades) 26 yrs ago... I have my bias...(and it is not here...)

but, in OR consider the towns on the east side and if they have enough amenities, namely Bend for academia (There are branch campus of at least 2 U's there + community College)

Possible LaGrande (But a far drive to a large city), Maybe Klamath Falls

Otherwise
Ellensburg / Wenatchee / Pullman / Cheney or Spokane WA (income tax free, but tough property taxes)
Boise, Pocatello (bit remote, but close to Tetons and Yellowstone) or Moscow, ID(which I really like)

Ft Collins (or Loveland or Berthoud, CO) Many schools within 30 miles, great for families and weather is superb, close to Rocky Mountain National Park (moderate taxes and cost of living)

Old 09-06-2008, 10:52 AM

472 posts, read 1,709,619 times
Unfortunately, there's a basic problem here-- the more liberal areas of the NW are all close to the sea and get a lot of rain. The areas "east" of the rain, such as Boise and Bend, aren't exactly an intellectual magnet-- it's cowboy country out there, outdoorsy, folky, and largely Republican. The only place in Oregon that comes close to your requirements would be Eugene, which is very liberal and gets more sun than the Portland area. Theoretically you could commute from the Roseburg area, which gets pretty hot, into Eugene. You'd also be close to the theater districts in Ashland. As for ethnic diversity, most of the non-white population is Hispanic or Asian. The African-American community is relatively small and centers on Portland.

Old 09-06-2008, 11:09 AM

7 posts, read 20,760 times
Thanks everyone for your input! I appreciate it. I think affordability is my biggest issue - I forgot to mention that the house we are in now was not only under 150K, but also 2300 square feet. It's alot for a little, which is one reason we are still here.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:38 PM

15 posts, read 60,533 times
Default Roseburg

Roseburg does have more sun, but is conservative vs. Ashland or Eugene. Idaho is even more conservative than the South although they are more affordable. Good luck.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:57 AM

5,456 posts, read 8,171,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdland View Post
Idaho is even more conservative than the South although they are more affordable. Good luck.
Idaho is nothing like the South. Idaho is libertarian. High tech companies are moving to Boise because of its desirability.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:25 PM

15 posts, read 60,533 times
I grew up in Idaho and although more people are moving in and changing the environment, I would still have to say that they hold strong conservatism and do not come close to being something you could call libertarian!

Old 09-15-2008, 06:13 PM

573 posts, read 1,451,535 times
Sorry do not think the areas you are looking at fit your bill. Housing is more expensive and the areas are more conservative where housing is cheaper and the weather tends to be more rainy---check out city data for the stats but you might be best served to chose another area. Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon