Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2008, 06:50 PM

87 posts, read 363,309 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I love the Pacific Northwest, but I lived in Seattle for 2 years and the dampness was horrible for my sinuses, allergies.

I've been told that Portland has a similar climate, it's all part of the deciduous rainforest.

Are there any liberal towns or cities in Oregon that are more dry and sunny? I've heard Western Oregon is pretty conservative and that's no go for me. Bonus if they have Ad agencies or marketing firms. I'm a writer.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 07:33 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,743,335 times
Bend, OR.

Here's the City Data page:
//www.city-data.com/city/Bend-Oregon.html

Old 09-07-2008, 12:20 PM

17 posts, read 50,575 times
Hi Hubcap,
I'm also looking for the same. Am also a writer/marketing. Am considering Bend too... My only concern there is that it is SO dry, that it can actually be uncomfortable, esp. if you are prone to allergies. The reason I love the Pac Nrthwest (living in Cal now) is because of the lushness and the air which feels so energizd (from all that rain!). I'm not sure Bend has that same feeling...
Any thoughts from the group?
PS... get virtual clients...it's the only way to make it in this biz...

Old 09-07-2008, 04:50 PM

543 posts, read 1,142,748 times
Have you thought of Ashland? Southern OR... has Shakespeare Festival and a university. Might be a blend between Bend and Portland. Bend's weather is much like Denver's. Check the climate maps (the ones that show what zones can handle what plants... Denver and Bend are actually quite similar in weather - except Denver is a bit cooler due to, I believe, the elevation. Hope that helps!

Old 09-07-2008, 04:54 PM

9,858 posts, read 11,874,817 times
You know, I actually thought that by 'dry' you meant alcohol free... ... And I know that I can't put my eminently practical worldview on someone elses shoulders but I have to tell you, I'm hanged if I know which way the people in my town (Hillsboro) swing. They don't really care to inform me and it has been a maxim of public conduct for years that you do not discuss religion, politics or sexual behavior unless the circumstances clearly set the stage. So, whether a given area is "liberal" or not was certainly not the main issue when I was seeking a home. But, it must be said, the cities of which the climate is much drier than those of the Willamette region don't jump out at one as being liberal hotbeds. I hear good things about Bend, you could probably do worse, it isn't going to be Portland though.

H

Old 09-08-2008, 12:59 PM

480 posts, read 2,459,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojonow View Post
Hi Hubcap,
I'm also looking for the same. Am also a writer/marketing. Am considering Bend too... My only concern there is that it is SO dry, that it can actually be uncomfortable, esp. if you are prone to allergies. The reason I love the Pac Nrthwest (living in Cal now) is because of the lushness and the air which feels so energizd (from all that rain!). I'm not sure Bend has that same feeling...
Any thoughts from the group?
PS... get virtual clients...it's the only way to make it in this biz...

Bend has a high desert climate so it is drier than western Oregon, and some people suffer from allergies, particularly from juniper in the spring. I wouldn't say Bend is all that liberal. Until a few years ago, it was pretty conservative and while it has moved left, it still has a conservative bent (especially seen through the local newspaper's editors) and we're surrounded by conservative areas in Central Oregon. A liberal doesn't feel uncomfortable here, though (at least I don't).

I agree with probably needing virtual clients to succeed. There is limited writing/marketing opportunity here and plenty of competition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon