Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2008, 12:52 PM

36 posts, read 284,028 times

Advertisements

both desperate to get away from suburban, career-oriented, often emotionally-exclusive[ unfriendly] and way too fast paced southbury, connecticut; originally , I was searching for an " affordable area" in northern california up outside redding-chico[ siskiyou, lassen,trinity counties, etc.]
part of the reason I want to leave CT is because it costs too much to live and all the cheaper places are in the many, disgusting, crime ridden cities such as waterbury, torrington, and willimantic.[ that or seymour-ansonia] all have many older, dumpy apartments not even worth the rent money, haven't any off street parking, etc.; and most of them should simply be torn down to widen/improve the roads like they do in california/florida! that and the fact that many of the connecticut people seem to be so " busy all the time", family-oriented, and just not very easy to become friends with!

anyway, redding,CA while afforable and way nicer then any CT city; is too much of an " apartmentalized" and shopping mall infested city for me![ been there sept 1996] I was considering many of the outlying towns like weed or yreka!
but southern-central oregon was a second choice of mine; mostly around southern inland oregon but possibly either central or eastern. anyplace that is hotter in summer then the chilly coast where it rarely exceeds 70 F in summer! [ definitely not sports bra/shorts all summer long weather!]
being a transgender woman, I need to live in a state where I'll have rights; so california was #1. but oregon, I have heard from many transpeople living there, as well as both the woman whom replied to my question online from the oregon DMV and the human rights council map of " LGBT safe" states with anti-discrimination laws; is also one of the best places to live. in fact, the transwomen I've " spoken" with online told me that they had fewer problems with changing the gender designation than they would have had in " 100% by the book" california! that and they all prefer OREGON by far to CALIFORNIA ; which many say, besides being way to expensive;also " has that california-attitude problem" so many californians seemed to have moved to oregon because it is more-affordable , and nicer, I guess
another reason I am considering oregon is that I'll be closer to the only family I've got out west my neice, jamie, lives with her new husband of two years in waldport, but has also lived in newport[ both on the chilly but pretty coast]as well as central point close to medford. having moved from the gatlinburg area of tennessee[ bible belt to the max!] , first to expensive san diego; later to central point-medford,OR. she now says she loves oregon. last time I saw her here in connecticut visting, she seems to be so much more relaxed and laid back! no longer the prissy southern-raised girly-girl and now she's got a love for the great outdoors![ oregon seemed to have changed her for the better!]
another thing for me is the availibility of HRT/hormones prescribing endocrinologists whom will actually work with transwomen as well as our biological sisters! for a while it seemed like the only clinics/ willing endocrinologists were all the the more expensive, and crowded cities like portland, seattle, and especially san friancisco! I'd much rather live out in the country in some small, secluded affordable mobile/cottage than in any crowded apartment in any city! but it soon occurred to me that I'd probably have to travel even farther then I now do to new york city's callen lorde clinic from southbury,CT medford to portland is like 4 hours drive time; as is yreka/susanville,CA [ 5 + hours] to san francisco! luckily , I found both one MD in chico,CA and another three in salem,OR; all whom will take medicare.
I've been searching craigslist.com and see that there are many, many ; awesome little mobiles and houses all over rural south-central oregon! in fact , they seem to be , perhaps; just a little cheaper, AND NICER; than even those in " affordable" rural shasta/tehama/butte/lassen/trinity counties of CA! and coming from the eastern seaboard, the scenery sure seems nicer in oregon. but how are those places like sweet home [ near both eugene/salem]? other small towns like them??
being on SSDI/SSI and trying to grow my online business[ store now on eBay] , I am not very concerned so much with being near some big corporate town[ had enough of that in CT!] and would much rather be in some small town where I literally can slow down and count my change at the grocery store without having some impatient professional career mom getting annoyed behind me! what are some of the nicer, more secluded towns close to either salem/eugene region? [/color][/color][/color]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 03:14 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
Yikes Cheryl, that was not an easy read. I persevered though, slow Sunday afternoon. Hmmm. I don't think Salem or Eugene are considered 'warmer, inland' areas of Oregon. And in general, the warmer and sunnier a given area is in the summer, the colder it is likely to get in winter. At least in the interior this is true. But why is it that people living alternative lifestyles seek to avoid big progressive cities (like Portland) and instead seek small secluded towns where people are either going to hate them or ignore them? My ex dragged me to Salem a few years ago because she didn't want to pay Portland prices and I had a miserable two years being jeered, stared, dissed and sometimres abused as a black man in a relationship with a white woman. This is right in Salem proper, mind you. I can't even imagine what it might be like in Mt. Angel or Silverton or Albany but I suspect, being transgender isn't quite like being a minority, unless... ... well, enough said, I think. Fast forward a few years and another interracial relationship and I definitely voted for Portland. Luckily 'J' agreed. Admittedly we found Downtown and close in NE/SE just a wee bit frantic even for our NYC jaded nerves but Beaverton or Hillsboro have enough proximity to peace and quiet and more importantly an installed base of people that are different so as to pave the way towards tolerance and acceptance from most of those you will have to deal with on a regular basis. FWIW

H

Old 09-09-2008, 12:43 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,471,504 times
It hurts my eyes.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:21 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Okay you need to hit the enter key every so often and forget the bolding. I personally would not encourage a transgender person to go small town in Oregon. The valley is blue on elections, but the rest of the state is red, and it is very red in many areas.

If you want out here, I agree with Leister...stick with the larger cities of Portland and Eugene.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:54 PM

17 posts, read 50,711 times
You know the lack of diversity in Oregon is worrisome and frankly surprising given the blue and "green" ness of the state. Having lived in Cal cities my whole life, I prefer a culturally diverse place. While No Cal is very welcoming to all types, incl LGBT, I suspect some of the tinier towns that Cheryl mentions, Yreka and the like, may not be so cool.
That said, Silverfall, do you think Eugene or Portland suburbs would offer the openmindedness without the urban lifestyle?

Old 09-12-2008, 08:50 AM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Define urban lifestyle? There are many different neighborhoods in these areas that may be what you are looking for, some not.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:02 PM

17 posts, read 50,711 times
When I think of cities, I think of traffic, noise, pollution, shopping malls, chain stores, rushed people, concrete, etc. Fast cars, fast bars, night clubs and making the scene. Can be fun when one is single and 25, but not as much when one is married and 45! What about just outside Eugene or Portland, maybe some small-town/suburb with more tolerant attitudes?

Old 09-21-2008, 02:26 AM

24 posts, read 114,056 times
I live in rural area north of Jefferson (6miles) but yet I can go to Albany or Salem for medical, shopping,,etc. Within minutes. Jefferson itself is a small town around 2000. It has a local market, gas station, bank, post office and food places. We are a male gay couple and have experienced no problems. As far as the red blue thing. Oregon is progressive in a number of ways, assisted sucide law(only state) domestic partner registration state wide, no sales tax and you don't pump your own gas. Mod cutGood luck. PS Their is a nice gay bar, church and organizations in Salem. You would be welcome there. But Jefferson property taxes would be less than Salem or Albany.

Last edited by Waterlily; 09-21-2008 at 05:09 PM.. Reason: no real estate ads
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon