Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 01:16 AM

442 posts, read 553,035 times

Advertisements

Howdy Everyone!

I am spending hours upon hours, looking up Universities (also, a solid Major) to transfer to. I would like some help! I live in San Diego, but it doesn't look like that has a lot of options for me, as far as what I would like to get into. I would like others opinions, experiences, and pics, if you have them!

Yes, I have spoken with various career counselors, coaches, etc. Ultimately, there is really nowhere near here to study, so I have accepted that I will have to leave for a while, to pursue my dream. I have been suggested places like Humboldt State, Northern Arizona University, etc. These are places of interest to me, I just want to know what all is out there.

I am going to work with wildlife/animals also while working with trees/outdoors. I am really into mountains, pines, rivers and rocks. Places I love are Sedona/Flagstaff Az, No. Cal, Colorado, New Mexico, Oregon, and Wa. state.
I am open to other places in the West. I prefer a place that has perhaps a decent/easy way to get in and out of town easily, because my husband and family will be here the two years I am gone.

Majors I am interested in are anything to do with outdoors. Forestry, Environmental Ed., Wildlife Bio, Outdoor Rec., etc...

Thank you for your help, please let me know if you have any ideas!

-Annie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 10:38 AM

anyone ?

Old 09-13-2008, 10:42 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,472,373 times
Hi, there

I thought of Oregon State University as I've had friends who've graduate from there in Wildlife Biology, and the forestry program.

Corvallis is very close to I-5.

A few links. And good luck!

http://oregonstate.edu/admissions/bl...iology-at-osu/

Home page for the College of Forestry, Oregon State University

Old 09-13-2008, 10:46 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
I am confused...why aren't you just looking at the different universities to see if they have your major?

You almost sound like you are asking for help picking a major. Here is a link to the list of majors from University of Oregon. Chinese Major, Computer Science Major, Environmental Science Major - University of Oregon

We also have Oregon State University, Western Oregon University, Southern Oregon University, Portland State University.

Private: University of Portland, Lewis and Clark College, Willamette University, Corban College, Linfield College..

What am I missing guys?

Old 09-13-2008, 10:50 AM

5,462 posts, read 8,180,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Metal View Post
anyone ?
The people who might know the answer to the question you asked nine hours ago at midnight probably decided to sleep last night.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I am confused...why aren't you just looking at the different universities to see if they have your major?

You almost sound like you are asking for help picking a major. Here is a link to the list of majors from University of Oregon. Chinese Major, Computer Science Major, Environmental Science Major - University of Oregon

We also have Oregon State University, Western Oregon University, Southern Oregon University, Portland State University.

Private: University of Portland, Lewis and Clark College, Willamette University, Corban College, Linfield College..

What am I missing guys?
there are ton of universities to sort through. any help is appreciated.

yes, if anyone knows of a related major, that it sounds that i might like from my initial post, i am open to learning about it.

thanks!

Old 09-13-2008, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
The people who might know the answer to the question you asked nine hours ago at midnight probably decided to sleep last night.
the people on the net are up at all hours.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:17 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Metal View Post
there are ton of universities to sort through. any help is appreciated.

yes, if anyone knows of a related major, that it sounds that i might like from my initial post, i am open to learning about it.

thanks!
Doesn't it seem better to find out what you want to do and then figure out what major will get you that job?

Make a list of your top 2-3 jobs. I mean if you want to be a forest ranger, then call the forest service and find out what types of degrees rangers tend to have. Then find universities that offer that program.

Once you decide what you want to major in, THEN you can start to look at schools with strong departments in that major. Otherwise, it seems to me, you'll be sifting through university after university which is where you are now.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Doesn't it seem better to find out what you want to do and then figure out what major will get you that job?

Make a list of your top 2-3 jobs. I mean if you want to be a forest ranger, then call the forest service and find out what types of degrees rangers tend to have. Then find universities that offer that program.

Once you decide what you want to major in, THEN you can start to look at schools with strong departments in that major. Otherwise, it seems to me, you'll be sifting through university after university which is where you are now.
i have done that, but i just wanted to hear others opinions, experiences in what has worked for them, and pics if possible. i know what my top career goals are, at least in the area of it.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:48 PM

177 posts, read 969,709 times
Univeristy of Idaho in Moscow, Id (just across the border from Washington and WSU in Pullman) has a degree in Wildlife resources,you might want to check them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: