Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 12:47 AM

1 posts, read 8,248 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Washington State near Seattle. Planning to retire in Oregon around 4 years from now. Looking to buy 3-5 acres of land followed by a new home and shop built on it. I have a list of my desirable attributes for my dream location as shown below. Would like to hear from others who can suggest locations within Oregon that closely matches my desirable attributes. Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions. Dan

( ) Prefer living in the Northwest, USA with 250 days (8 months) or more of sunshine

( ) Nice weather for growing veggies, winters are snowy but not too severe

( ) Prefer land with some trees and nearby rivers-lakes

( ) Rivers-lakes are not polluted

( ) Land is still reasonably pristine, unlike urban living

( ) Land has potential for solar and/or wind power generation

( ) Region is free from major earth quakes

( ) Flood Zone - Area is not subject to water floods from too much rain

( ) Area is free from excessive highway and jet plane noise

( ) Major roads and highways are in good shape

( ) Electricity is available in the area

( ) The land or region has no known history of toxic waste

( ) Nearby camping, hiking, boating, and fishing

( ) Low taxes (federal, state, local, real estate, etc.)

( ) Raw Land 3-5 acres is cost-effective for purchase

( ) Cost of new home construction is very reasonable in that state

( ) Cost of Utilities - electricity, water, phone, etc. is reasonable

( ) Cell phone coverage in the area?

( ) Major medical facilities are within 1-2 hours from my home

( ) Sewer available in area? Septic tank? Perk Test acceptable?

( ) Supply of fresh drinking water is clean and abundant for the future

( ) Clean air with no smog

( ) Crime-rate is very low to none

( ) Local Police protection close by? 911 Emergency # available?

( ) Neighbors/region are friendly and helpful

( ) Good selection of home builders in the region

( ) No liens, foreclosures, or judgments against the property. Property is free and clear.

( ) Power Outages in the area? How often? Recovery time to restore power?

( ) Is it dog-friendly? Are there hiking trails that dogs, horses and bicycles are allowed on nearby?

( ) Does it stay green year-round?

( ) In the winter, do the roads get very icy, and are they well maintained?

( ) Is there a seedy part of town, or areas that should be avoided?

( ) What kind of wildlife could I see there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 09:29 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,154,051 times
Yes

Old 09-25-2008, 10:14 AM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
In Oregon you'd have to be east of the cascades to get that much sun. I would try the Bend "metro" area...maybe Redmond or Prineville area.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:37 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,260,698 times
Some of your criteria are mutually exclusive. For example, 250+ days sun/yr and green year around are not going to happen anywhere. It takes quite a lot of rain to have it green year around. I would suggest combing thru the city-data place pages with your list to find potential places of interest. Then prioritize your list. Your utopia doesn't exist so you need to decide on what factors are must haves and what you can compromise on.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:04 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,003 times
Default The Rogue Valley - Oregon

I can give you a for Grants Pass if you don't mind the cold winters. During the winter months it is near freezing overnight and when the sun comes out, over the lovely mountains, it melts off the frost.

Downtown Grants Pass is very walkable.... my favorite thing to do over there is visit all the thrift shops. The restaurants are good. The people are VERY friendly. I belong to a fabulous fitness center. The Rogue River runs through town and offers fishing and recreation. There are BARGAINS galore in real estate now. This is a very low stress area (to me).

I live about 8 miles from GP, in the country. Medford is about 20 miles to my south and Ashland is another 11 miles south. It's about 1 hour to the CA border and about 90 miles to the coast (as the crow flies) !

P.S. It does rain a lot during the winter months, but it's a piddle rain, not monsoon.

Last edited by ConeyIsBabe; 09-25-2008 at 05:17 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-25-2008, 09:52 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
I just realized that you did not say what cost-effective land is. That may make or break Oregon for you.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:25 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,543,882 times
I suggest Klamath Falls area. More specifically Keno. A lot of houses on 5 acre plots, wooded...

Old 09-27-2008, 10:50 PM

5 posts, read 34,415 times
Default Ditto Klamath

The Klamath area is a well kept secret. Being East of the Cascades, it has much less rain. The cost of real estate is much lower in Klamath than many other areas such as Medford, Bend or the I5 corridor cities. What is your price range for housing? You will find wildlife: deer are abundant. The winters are relatively mild with little snow, and more sunny days than west of the Cascades. Solar and wind power are definate possibilities. However, you will not find one place that meets all your criteria. If you buy what is considered farm property, your taxes will be considerably lower. A large piece of land, say 50 acres, would go for $2-3 thou an acre. Now that would be very dog friendly.

Old 09-28-2008, 01:12 AM

24 posts, read 114,096 times
Oakridge, Oregon is by far the best kept secret in Oregon, and perhaps the entire Pacific Northwest. We are of the west side of the Cascades, so a milder climate than you would find on the east side; however, we are high enough in elevation that we don't have 9 months of "gloom and doom" as the valleys might. The motto here is "above the fog line and below the snow line".

Land/housing prices compare to the east side, not the west.

Try beating that climate/housing price combo anywhere else in the PNW.

We have many new businesses coming to Oakridge which will be a shot in the arm, economically.

Great, little small town right down to one of the last remaining A&Ws with a car hop.

Only about 40 minutes from the Springfield-Eugene area to the west.

Only about 20 minutes from a ski resort at the pass to the east.

Stunning scenery here in the Cascade foothills.

I could go on, but I'll let you discover the rest for yourself with a little research. Or better yet, come pay us a visit sometime!

Old 09-28-2008, 01:13 AM

24 posts, read 114,096 times
Oh, did I mention that the sun shines almost every day here? Yes, it might make a cameo in the dead of winter, but it peeks out nonetheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon