Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 01:39 AM

4 posts, read 8,237 times

Advertisements

Graphic designer here looking to relocate from California to Oregon. I work out of my home.

Needs
Small town surrounded by lots of green (I am a nature girl at heart...rivers, creeks, leaves, rain)
Apartments/studios that are in a safe neighborhood (Female living on my own)
Only basic places needed nearby like a grocery store, post office, bank.

Wants
Snow in the winter

I am not liking the heat and dessert here in the inland empire. I want to get out of this suburban area and move somewhere quieter and simpler. I love to cook, garden, hike, and star gaze. I wouldn't need to be too close to the city. I would love to live in a rural area but I am guessing there is not going to be too many apartments around.
I am planning a trip to Oregon so I can check out some areas. Where would you recommend I start? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by artist traveler; 10-01-2008 at 01:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 02:31 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,133,932 times
You'd probably like just about anywhere in the foothills of the Cascades. On the western slope, it tends to be greener than the eastern slope. I'm more familiar with the Portland area, but further south would be similar weather. Somewhere like Sandy or even further up Mt. Hood like Welches or Rhododendron would fit the bill.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:08 AM

15,567 posts, read 40,389,739 times
I assume as a graphic designer high speed internet will be important. I think Sandy might be a good fit as Forest Grove, Silverton, maybe McMinnville. Only Sandy gets regular snow in the winter. Most of us get our snow fix by driving to the Mountains. The nice thing about the valley is we are between the coast and the Mountains. Our coast is stunning and worth heading out to see.

You could also consider Sisters, OR, but it is really expensive to live there, but Redmond out that way is more affordable.

There are some nice smaller towns in the Eugene area and down south and I'm sure those folks can chime in. Just remember it probably has to have high speed/DSL access.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:07 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,810,674 times
I have DSL access (okay, it's officially 1 Mip but actually runs about 3, which is pretty sad compared to the 10+ I had in the Portland metro area) and I live almost 40 miles from Klamath Falls. It's pretty common even out here in the sticks.

Given the poster's stated preferences, she might try the Ashland - Medford - Grant's Pass corridor. Out in Jacksonville, perhaps.

Other than that, I'd suggest Mt. Angel, Silverton and that general area. Not much snow there, but you can always live up in the foothills.

Old 10-01-2008, 05:45 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,133,932 times
Now see, I don't feel like Sisters, Ashland, Medford, etc. are as green as would be towns on the valley side of the Cascades. They seem drier to me, and have less undergrowth. Less of the "rivers, creeks, leaves, rain" requirement. But then, maybe that's just my preference rearing it's ugly head. I think those are all great places (though I definitely don't think Medford is what they're looking for), but just wouldn't call them green and wet.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:33 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,805,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artist traveler View Post
Graphic designer here looking to relocate from California to Oregon. I work out of my home.

Needs
Small town surrounded by lots of green (I am a nature girl at heart...rivers, creeks, leaves, rain)

Wants
Snow in the winter

I am not liking the heat and dessert here in the inland empire. I want to get out of this suburban area and move somewhere quieter and simpler. I love to cook, garden, hike, and star gaze. I wouldn't need to be too close to the city. I would love to live in a rural area but I am guessing there is not going to be too many apartments around.
I am planning a trip to Oregon so I can check out some areas. Where would you recommend I start? Thanks in advance!

You are in same area I am now. I'm in La Quinta area. It is hot isn't it? I was born in Oregon, and lived there for over 30 years. I'm hoping to go back too someday. Good luck on finding your spot. It's a beautiful state.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:37 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,805,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artist traveler View Post

Needs

Wants
Snow in the winter

Forgot to suggest Silverton. Close to Oregon Gardens, and SIlver Creek Falls park that has gorgeous waterfalls. That's my favorite place anyway. Very small, quaint town. Love it.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:38 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,045,686 times
Default My favorite town in s/Oregon

If I were in your shoes..... I'd head to Ashland ! Check it out and see for yourself

Old 10-01-2008, 09:23 PM

15,567 posts, read 40,389,739 times
I was going more for the snow factor.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:48 PM

472 posts, read 1,709,021 times
I'm only about 500' above sea level, and I'm getting snow every year. It's just like California in that respect-- more elevation = more snow. IIWY I'd get a job here before moving--Oregon is already awash with artistic people who are having trouble finding work. OTOH, if you already have an indpendent business, with steady clients, that's another thing. For stargazing, stay away from the wetter areas. IIWY I'd look at Roseburg and the towns around Eugene. It's a lot cheaper than Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon