Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2008, 08:15 PM

29 posts, read 92,451 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Eugene and my last leg will be Oct. 31st going from Caldwell Idaho to Eugene. I'm contemplating making the drive across central oregon going on US-20 to OR-126 (avoiding OR-242). This is an iffy time of year for this drive, but it'd shave 100 miles off by not going up to portland on I-84 and would be a lot more scenic. I'll be towing a small 8' u-haul trailer.

Bad idea? Looks like it's already below freezing at night around Santiam Pass. But assuming I check the weather in Caldwell that morning and there isn't any snow on the pass, should I be good to go? Any other spots I might need to watch for weather? And even without snow, is this road good enough for driving on with a small trailer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 12:49 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
You just might get lucky and get an answer from someone who knows those roads firsthand. I wouldn't hold my breath. I mean that in a good way. This forum is very helpful but at the level of detail you are wanting I think you might want to call AAA or something in addition to posting here. Disregard this message if you have already done so.

H

Old 10-18-2008, 10:24 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
Go here for up-to-the-minute road conditions and a forecast for the next couple days: you can click on weather conditions and pass cams.

TripCheck - Road Cams, Road & Weather Conditions in Oregon - ODOT

Old 10-18-2008, 06:12 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,143,960 times
More scenic than driving the Columbia River Gorge? I'm not so sure I'd agree, though both are nice. You may shave off miles, but you'll take many more hours more with that route.

I don't think weather is likely to be a problem, though.

Old 10-18-2008, 11:12 PM

103 posts, read 523,924 times
I made the trip last June. I would bet that 242 will be closed. Stop at Bend and ask, then again at Sisters. Personally I think that this time of year I84 would be a better bet. Over all 20 is not a bad road. 126 is a steep down hill drive. Make sure your breaks are good!

Old 10-19-2008, 10:27 AM

1,082 posts, read 4,717,719 times
Default use lower gear downhill

I drive in freezing mountains all the time with a regular car--instead of braking continuously, better to use the lower gears, even in automatic cars a 3 or a 2 gear will slow you down better, and you can keep in the gear as long as you need. Less worry about fishtailing, sudden stops, etc. Also better for mileage.

By the way, the weather on the coast today looks gorgeous. It's been a relatively dry fall in the Rocky Mountains so it seems that any untoward weather will be spotty at best.

Old 10-20-2008, 02:07 PM

30 posts, read 130,393 times
I've lived in Oregon many years and could drive most of the mountain passes with eyes closed (but I don't) <G> The Willamette (hwy 58) and Santiam (hwy 20) Passes should be clear until mid-Nov and even later. The ski areas are hopeful to open by Thanksgiving, but it ususally doesn't happen. All the pass highways are wide and well maintained. I would not even consider 242 pulling a trainer, even in good weather. As mentioned, log onto tripcheck.com and view the passes when the time comes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon