Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 11:00 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypros View Post
I asked the rental car company if they rented tire chains/cables and thy said yes.

But if they don't you can get a set of cables at wally world for under $30
First you have to know the type of vehicle and if it can have cable chains attached - as I said earlier, many cars can't. Some tire places (Les Schwab here in Oregon) have a money-back guarantee if you don't use the chains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 11:43 AM

3 posts, read 16,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
First you have to know the type of vehicle and if it can have cable chains attached - as I said earlier, many cars can't. Some tire places (Les Schwab here in Oregon) have a money-back guarantee if you don't use the chains.
Thanks again......is it difficult to put on chains? I've never done so myself.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpap2k View Post
Thanks again......is it difficult to put on chains? I've never done so myself.
No, it just takes practice. The first time you lay the cable chains out on the ground and try to figure out how they go on, you might do a bit of head scratching, but once you've figured it out, it's not bad. The tire chains should come with instructions, as well as info and warnings: heed them.

The bad part is that you should only have the chains on in snow and ice - when they pavement clears, they need to come off. The problem tends to be that snow and ice melts in some places and not in others and this may mean stopping to put them on, taking them off later and then finding you have to put them on again. But that's not the norm.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:18 AM

1 posts, read 2,575 times
can you rent truck chains in grants pass or

Old 11-20-2010, 11:42 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyt View Post
can you rent truck chains in grants pass or
What is your idea of a truck? If you are talking 285/75R24.5 tires, you better check a truck stop or commercial tire dealer before you start your trip.

If you are just talking a pickup or RV, just buy a set. The cheapest will be at Costco or Wal-Mart. Les Schwab is selling very nice chains that are easy to put on, and will give you a 100% return value on unused chains. If I buy a new vehicle, I just take the old unused set of chains into Les Schwab and they swap them for a set that will fit my new tire size. The last time I paid for tire chains was 1989.

If you don't use the chains, just keep your receipt and return them for credit. Les Schwab will do this even without a receipt, and lets you keep them all winter. If you only want to carry them for a week, Wal-Mart will do the same. If you use them, you bought them, but if you use them you really needed them.

I have never heard of anyone with rental tire chains, but you could call around. Mostly, if they go out the door, the store wants to be paid the full price.

Old 11-20-2010, 12:31 PM

The original post is from 2008, but, to apply it to 2010 - if you are planning on driving I-5 this upcoming Thanksgiving week, YES there will be snow.

There is snow now and more on the way along with very cold temps midweek. Carry food, water, warm clothing, tire chains. Expect the possibility of snow once you start climbing out of Redding all the way to Eugene (and maybe even dustings of snow on the Willamette Valley floor), especially in passes. Expect ice in shaded areas and overpasses. Just because the sign says the speed limit is 55, that does not mean 55 is safe in conditions.

Use http://www.tripcheck.com/Pages/RCmap...RoadConditions to get the latest conditions

Last edited by PNW-type-gal; 11-20-2010 at 12:46 PM..

Old 11-21-2010, 10:15 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Just a tip: besides tire chains, carry a couple large plastic trash bags or a painter's plastic drop cloth. You often have to lie down in the snow to put on chains, and lie down in the slush to take them off. Plastic will keep you from getting a slush bath.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:44 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
I live in the mountains. I've found that lifting my vehicles is safer, simpler, quicker imho, by carrying a somewhat light floor jack, which lifts to about 20", & a couple jack stands.

Drive Safely folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon