Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 12:02 PM

3 posts, read 28,643 times

Advertisements

new here....

i'm taking a road trip back up to portland from southern california and have not made this trip this late in the year before... usually summer trips on this route.

i've looked at ODOT and Caltrans websites already.

generally speaking, does anyone know if there is snow on the pass near mid november??? debating on taking the train or driving.

I-5 Southbound between Grants Pass and Shasta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 12:10 PM

472 posts, read 1,710,186 times
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. If you have 4 wheel drive, you'll probably be o.k. driving with light snow. But if there's a serious storm, the 5 sometimes gets closed down. The train can also be closed down by a bad storm too.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:22 PM

3 posts, read 16,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scone View Post
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. If you have 4 wheel drive, you'll probably be o.k. driving with light snow. But if there's a serious storm, the 5 sometimes gets closed down. The train can also be closed down by a bad storm too.
I'm also curious about this since my wife and I are renting a car to see our family in Oregon. Since we are taking my two little dogs, the train is out of the question. Should I ask Hertz about renting snow chains?

Thanks

Old 10-23-2008, 01:34 PM

716 posts, read 2,817,739 times
No one can answer that question. Maybe this would help:

Ouija - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Make sure the vehicle has traction tires and pay attention to tripcheck.com immediately prior to your departure. Plan the stretch of driving from Yreka to Roseburg in the middle of the day if weather is looking marginal.

If really bad weather looks imminent then consider Hwy 101 along the coast as an alternate.

Last edited by davefr; 10-23-2008 at 02:05 PM..

Old 10-23-2008, 01:39 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
The usual trick is to schedule your trip so that you hit the area, starting at about Ashland (if you are headed south, Redding if you are headed north), around 2 in the afternoon to give the sun and the snow plows (assuming there is any snow in the first place) the maximum time to do their work.

If it is snowing, it could be anything from a light dusting to a heavy snow. "Traction devices" (ie: AWD, 4WD, chains or studs) may be required. The problem with many new cars is that there isn't enough wheel well clearance to fit chains - not even cable chains - and it's not worth the expense of buying studs.

On the other hand, the CHP and the OHSP know that the I-5 corridor is heavily traveled and often by people who don't have chains or studs. So generally what happens, in very bad weather, is that they just close the highway until it can be cleared enough for regular travel. If you have 4wd and chains/studs, it's sort of annoying.

So, the long answer, summed up is: while it probably won't be a problem, it can be, and you'll just have to keep checking right up to the time you're leaving.

The train generally makes it through, even when it's snowing, but since you are traveling around Thanksgiving, you might find that there aren't many seats available, plus the trip from Seattle to LA, say, is more than 2 full days.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:36 PM

3 posts, read 28,643 times
thanks so much!!!!

Old 10-23-2008, 09:54 PM

899 posts, read 2,942,765 times
The other thing to remember is if you decide to use 101 from santa Rosa noth it adds a full day onto your trip..I do it at least once a year as have family in napa..The Red Lion in Eureka is nice and dog friendly, have stayed there with my cocker..
I like 101 better than 5 and tripcheck is the best tool for 5 there is becasue of the cameras from the rest stop at Weed north...
Have a safe trip.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:25 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,545,143 times
In November? Usually not. However, when I'm driving that pass during the winter I always plan to get there at about 1-2PM. The plows & sanders will have been out and maybe some sun as well.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:32 AM

3 posts, read 16,882 times
Thank you all for your input. Quick seperate question, can you rent snow chains for a rental car just in case?

Old 10-24-2008, 10:50 AM

351 posts, read 1,283,575 times
I asked the rental car company if they rented tire chains/cables and thy said yes.

But if they don't you can get a set of cables at wally world for under $30
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon