Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 10:10 PM

19 posts, read 188,142 times

Advertisements

Which one is safer, less crime, better schools, better pay? Is the weather about the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2006, 05:52 PM

8 posts, read 248,670 times
I think they are about the same size. Eugene is more of an "arts" community. Crime is less in Eugene, but job opportunities might be better in Salem due to all the state jobs there.

The weather is...

raining in both places!

Old 06-14-2006, 02:16 AM

43 posts, read 346,212 times
Both are about the same size, but Eugene is built better and is a lot more aesthetic. Definitely more liberal and overall a much better place to live. The schools preform better to. The University makes for a lot of brilliant student teachers as well. Eugene is full of diversity and self idenity, and Salem lacks any except for governmental symbolism.

Last edited by Eugguy; 06-14-2006 at 02:18 AM..

Old 06-14-2006, 09:29 AM

19 posts, read 188,142 times
Thanks! Eugene is what we were leaning towards anyway.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:14 PM

2 posts, read 26,085 times
I might add, after living a year in Salem and travelling throughout the state, Eugene is the better of the two. I love Oregon, even in the Willamette Valley with the dark and wet falls and winters. I enjoyed Salem but found the population to be very backward in many ways. Very conservative. It possibly suffers by comparison to Portland and Eugene. The town suffers from a bad meth problem and a high influx of outside gang elements.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:35 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,430,010 times
As a Salemite I need to weigh in here. Eugene and Salem have very different feels to the cities. Eugene is more liberal and with U of O there, has a university influence.

Salem is more conservative, and very family oriented. We are the capital so state jobs are the #1 employer. Both have their pluses and minuses, and it just depends on what kind of feel you are looking for.

If you did consider Salem, I would stick South or West for strong schools. Both Salem and Eugene have excellent and not so excellent schools. You really need to look at neighborhoods.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:20 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,033,524 times
I live in Salem and Eugene is better. I'm saying this as an OSU grad, too. Salem is backward, although it's gradually improving. Eugene is a nicer city to live in, however, it's backward in its ultra-liberal leanings. Where Salem's constipation is ultra-conservatism, Eugene's constipation is ultra-liberalism.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:27 AM

8 posts, read 55,561 times
Default Confused

My family and I visited Oregon last summer and fell in love with it. I had heard that Eugene was a really cool town and that Salem was a little trashy. I found the exact opposite to be true. We stayed at a motel in Eugene on 6th and van buren. I drove around the neighborhoods in the area and they were kind of tired . Then we spent a day in downtown Salem and the place seemed totaly bitchen. Was i just in a bad part of Eugene and a good part of Salem. We drove around Salem and thought the place was really cool. We never went east of I 5 so maybe that were the bad part is. Then again i live like 3 miles west of South Central Los Angeles maybe I'm just do'nt see it anymore

Old 04-08-2008, 11:27 AM

15,575 posts, read 40,430,010 times
No bigwhite, downtown Salem has 18 revitalization projects going on right now. They are going to bring some seriously needed energy to our downtown. When I first moved here 9 years ago, I thought it was a bizarre city for a capital. The changes that are occuring are really good for the city. We've got some new businesses downtown, and we really need some good restaurants. Any chefs out there, that want to start a restaurant??

Salem has a lot of really great neighborhoods and a lot to offer. Both Salem and Eugene have good and bad areas. Coming from South Central LA, I would think most of our cities would look pretty good.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:43 AM

152 posts, read 878,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwhite View Post
My family and I visited Oregon last summer and fell in love with it. I had heard that Eugene was a really cool town and that Salem was a little trashy. I found the exact opposite to be true. We stayed at a motel in Eugene on 6th and van buren. I drove around the neighborhoods in the area and they were kind of tired . Then we spent a day in downtown Salem and the place seemed totaly bitchen. Was i just in a bad part of Eugene and a good part of Salem. We drove around Salem and thought the place was really cool. We never went east of I 5 so maybe that were the bad part is. Then again i live like 3 miles west of South Central Los Angeles maybe I'm just do'nt see it anymore
6th and Van Buren is where all the transient meth heads hang out when they are in Eugene. Not an accurate indicator of the rest of the people that live in the town. I hate that part of town because of all the burnouts walking around begging for handouts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon