Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 03:46 PM

2 posts, read 16,964 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to move to Grants Pass. We live in a small town of 450 pop. But it is in California. We are so sick of So. Calif. running our area up here in Siskiyou County. There are too many, and I will say it..."FREAKS" running this state. I have to say I am ashamed of living in California.

My family has lived here in this little town for 6 generations. We are a logging family, however, no family members are doing that anymore. We love to hunt and fish. We love our guns. We cant even buy ammunition in this state without going through so much to do so. We are very conservative but we feel we are well balanced when it comes to conservation and the enviroment. We don't hunt and fish for just the pleasure of it. We eat everything we hunt. It's more natural and better for you.

I know Oregon is a more liberal state. But we think that Grants Pass has more conservatives living there from the visists we have made there. My husband loves the fishing there.

We would love any feedback from anyone that has lived in the Grants Pass, someone whom has lived there for quite a while. We don't want to move somewhere where there is crime or things like gangs and drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 07:20 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,545,143 times
I think Grants Pass is a pretty good area. It's population has exploded over the last 10 years and it's getting rather packed.

AN area I think you may like more is Klamath Falls. It's an old logging town that's very conservative and good family values. The hunting is excellent and the fishing better. One area just outside KF is Keno. It's as fine an area as exists, IMHO.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:16 AM

2 posts, read 16,964 times
Thanks for the reply. My husband and I go through KFalls often, (our son lives in Bend). We feel there are too many mexican gangs and drugs there. We are used to living in the mountains, not high desert. KFalls doesnt really have a lot to offer. We also like the fact that Grants Pass is so close to the coast. My husband loves to fish.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:00 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,423 times
Since you're used to small-town living you might visit the city of Rogue River , pop. 2k, and the surrounding Jackson County area, 8 miles from Grants Pass, 11 miles to Medford.

Rogue River is a very quiet town, has city services, a couple of stores, restaurants, medical services, tiny police dept., library, lumberjack/redneck types, very friendly people. Check it out during your next visit.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:18 PM

2 posts, read 12,049 times
Borne in San Diego , family made many moves to Grants Pass Oregon , finally stuck in 1951 I was `15 years old , I didnt like it , no Padres, midget raceing , a burg in my opinion, however after I adjusted I ll have to say Grants Pass is a Unique place , and it really was a good enviorment to grow up in , and it has with out a doubt much natural beauty, but not enough sun in the Winter, but thats the price you pay for the beauty of the area. As I understand it is very Liberal now , as compaired to the 1950 s. Not much work there I guess , hasent chaged much if so sience the 50s. But its looking better as I get older ha . WK.Krumholz class 1955 and P.S. and many found memories of G.P. and my time in hi school there. Bill K.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:36 PM

101 posts, read 134,271 times
"We feel there are too many mexican gangs and drugs there. " !! Are you kidding? Where, in Bend or Klamath Falls?

Old 02-16-2010, 06:03 PM

963 posts, read 3,033,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorCalGal View Post
There are too many, and I will say it..."FREAKS" running this state. I have to say I am ashamed of living in California.
Wait 'til you meet the Grants Pass City Council.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:24 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,031,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorCalGal View Post

We would love any feedback from anyone that has lived in the Grants Pass, someone whom has lived there for quite a while. We don't want to move somewhere where there is crime or things like gangs and drugs.
Gangs and crime won't be a problem. Its not like folks need to pack heat and walk with a big stick at night.

The town has a very comfortable down to earth feel to it. Mountain views on all sides. And you probably already know what its close to like rivers, ocean and forest.

Do you need employment, or just make your own?

We live up north, but did live near GP for a few years, in Jacksonville area, over the hill in Applegate Valley. GP grew on me with every visit. If I were to live in a southern Oregon town, that would probably be it. I like Brookings, but mainly because I enjoy coastal weather.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:10 AM

2 posts, read 10,811 times
While others may disagree, I would not recommend moving here to Grants Pass.
While the pace is nice, the area is pretty and the autumns are vastly nicer than where I came from, the town has very elitist attitude & corrupt PD.

I had to move here to be near my sisters (who along with my brother in law have been awesome) after some terrible events happened that resulted in large debts and worse my daughter being harmed by terrible person.
Fast forwarding, I have never received any kind of community support for my business, I even got talked around like I did not exist in another forum there. While at the same time I have had many in other locations wish I would move my internet business to their community (I make more sales in a day online elsewhere than I have in 5 years in GP). We have a family of aquarium information web sites that come up #1 in search and are well regarded in the professional community, but you would not know this by the community reaction in GP.

I also collect recyclables that I take back to California in my monthly business trips as I still owe from what happened and still have to pay for therapy and other expenses here that my business does not generate; YET I get hassled and treated rudely on a regular basis in GP (so does my wife), this did NOT happen in our previous community.
Worse of all, the PD here is totally out of control, when the monster that harmed my family finally tracked us down and continues to send threatening emails, the PD has actually laughed at them and when stressors from these events caused a reaction from my daughter, the DCS along with the PD took the totally incorrect action that made the situation worse (thankfully I did have an outpouring from a few friends here that got a judge to do the “right thing”).
I could go on about the PD, as I know several others that have had similar complaints, needless to say, we teach our kids not to trust the local PD

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 02-18-2010 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: advertising not permitted

Old 02-21-2010, 08:57 AM

1,457 posts, read 6,031,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlrs View Post
While others may disagree, I would not recommend moving here to Grants Pass.
While the pace is nice, the area is pretty and the autumns are vastly nicer than where I came from, the town has very elitist attitude & corrupt PD.
Considering that what I heard and experienced was different from that, I'd suggest for folks to go with the preponderance of feedback from folks who enjoy the town and have succeeded there.

Its worth driving there first, spending a few days, and getting a feel for the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon