U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 03:36 AM

6,413 posts, read 11,015,206 times

Advertisements

Of all the insignificant reasons I can think of to move or not to move somewhere, being able to pump your own gas or not has to be the least significant factor.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 09:28 AM

6,519 posts, read 11,408,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Oh no!! What a horrible loss!! Please change your mind - I promise, if you come to Oregon, I will vote against the law the next time it is on the ballot.
Ok fine, I was only kidding....I am going to move there (and make you regret your condescending comment).

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I LOVE this law! I'm a transplant, and it was weird at first... but you get used to it. Now when we go to other states I forget that you have to get your hands stinky and do it yourself. I sit there waiting for someone to come out and do it for me... then I remember, I'm not in Oregon anymore! Dang it. I really love not having to pump my own gas.

You aren't supposed to tip them. Right? I was told not to when we first moved here, and once I tried and they refused it saying they weren't supposed to accept tips.

I find it hard to believe, too, that this one little thing would be a deciding factor for whether or not to move to a new state! Wow!
May be you are right, may be my attitude towards it was unjustified and unfair and perhaps I would get used to it to?
Oddly, I know myself all too well and I doubt I'd get used to it because I don't like getting serviced any more than providing that type of service to anyone. I like doing things on my own, according to my own expectations and speculations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
This Oregon law is a throwback to a nicer time when you could trust your car to the man who wore the star who pumped the gas, wiped the windshield and checked the oil. Why do you think these places were once called service stations?
That would be an exception but still, the State should not restrict/forbid one or the other, imho. If anything, both should be offered and people should have the option, like old times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Of all the insignificant reasons I can think of to move or not to move somewhere, being able to pump your own gas or not has to be the least significant factor.
We all have different priorities and principle my friend, you are not to judge another according to their any more than you need to understand the reasons behind their thinking....even if you cared.
Again, it may seem odd to you but to me, that shows a certain thinking pattern in majority that I feel may not fit mine. And again, it may be unfair and even premature to make such assumptions...or not.
Thanks for all the feedback, I definitely do appreciate it. It helps me reevaluate my thinking and persception on certain things. I will have to visit OR which may help me revise my decision so people like karlsch will not miss any sleep over me.

Old 11-27-2008, 03:56 AM

1,218 posts, read 3,784,800 times
I'm sorry, but if you're choosing not to live somewhere over something as minuscule and facile as gas-pumping, well, Colorado can have you.

I do agree, though, that the law is inherently stupid. There is NO legitimate reason why we adults should not be able to pump our own gas.

Old 11-28-2008, 12:46 PM

6,519 posts, read 11,408,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmulk View Post
I'm sorry, but if you're choosing not to live somewhere over something as minuscule and facile as gas-pumping, well, Colorado can have you.
Oh Bob not you too! Again, I didn't mean to offend anyone but I guess by scratching the State from my list of possible places to relocate to, certain residents got upset and reacted with this type of feedback, so I can understand.

Quote:
I do agree, though, that the law is inherently stupid. There is NO legitimate reason why we adults should not be able to pump our own gas.
It is not so much the law itself but the mentality behind it and even more so that the State had to even come up with a law like this that got me ticked off. The state took that particular freedom from its people in favor of creating another minimum wage job group? Amazing. What is next, you can't wash your own car, change your oil? Mind you that only 2 states got this peculiar law!

Again, I didn't intend to argue on this as it would not do any good to anyone, right? You obviously are not one of those who favors the law.
But in all honesty, there were a few more reasons I was not too thrilled about Oregon, certain things such as the lack of jobs in my field, lack of sun, humidity, etc.

Anyhoo, you have been nice and helpful to me in the past so I thank you for that and again, it was not my intention to upset anyone but I stand by my opinion/decision.

~TL

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 11-28-2008 at 01:13 PM..

Old 11-28-2008, 09:18 PM

6,413 posts, read 11,015,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
We all have different priorities and principle my friend, you are not to judge another according to their any more than you need to understand the reasons behind their thinking....even if you cared.
Again, it may seem odd to you but to me, that shows a certain thinking pattern in majority that I feel may not fit mine. And again, it may be unfair and even premature to make such assumptions...or not.
Thanks for all the feedback, I definitely do appreciate it. It helps me reevaluate my thinking and persception on certain things. I will have to visit OR which may help me revise my decision so people like karlsch will not miss any sleep over me.
Judge another? Sorry, but there was no judgement there but my own. I said it was an insignificant reason to me. You can say differently. Did I say you were stupid to let what I thought was an insignificant reason alter your life? Nope. Just a statement. And where did you get the notion we were friends. Merely acquaintances. If that.

But thanks for the lecture.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:47 AM

14,783 posts, read 35,825,961 times
Quote:
Oh Bob not you too! Again, I didn't mean to offend anyone but I guess by scratching the State from my list of possible places to relocate to, certain residents got upset and reacted with this type of feedback, so I can understand.

It is not so much the law itself but the mentality behind it and even more so that the State had to even come up with a law like this that got me ticked off. The state took that particular freedom from its people in favor of creating another minimum wage job group? Amazing. What is next, you can't wash your own car, change your oil? Mind you that only 2 states got this peculiar law!

Again, I didn't intend to argue on this as it would not do any good to anyone, right? You obviously are not one of those who favors the law.
But in all honesty, there were a few more reasons I was not too thrilled about Oregon, certain things such as the lack of jobs in my field, lack of sun, humidity, etc.

Anyhoo, you have been nice and helpful to me in the past so I thank you for that and again, it was not my intention to upset anyone but I stand by my opinion/decision.

~TL
Actually originally all states didn't allow people to pump their own gas due to safety reasons way back when....

Pumps are safer these days and all states but two have repealed the laws. It's not like Oregon created this law...everyone else did it. They just haven't repealed it yet. I keep voting yes to repeal it, but with the economy is the way it is, I don't think it will make it to the ballot anytime soon....

Old 11-29-2008, 12:12 PM

2,781 posts, read 6,662,016 times
I live in Philly and not very far from NJ, so I'm pretty used to the pump-it-for-you law. It's not that bad, but it gets a little annoying to wait on people to pump your gas. Much easier to just do it yourself, but I wouldn't not move to Oregon because of it.

Old 11-29-2008, 03:53 PM

6,061 posts, read 13,851,456 times
Quote:
~TL
Hey if it makes you feel any better or safer about this particular Oregon law... it was enacted back in the 50's, brought to ballot by gas station owners themselves, due to accidents (some fatal and all costly), crime (gas theft), and other issues. It wasn't as if the state itself came along and said "you can't do that"... and then began plotting the next personal freedom it could take away from us. It was at the time considered a public safety issue for the most part. Oregon business owners came up with 17 different reasons why it should be a law, and the majority voted for it - for good reason in my opinion (...and not just because I'm spoiled and love having someone else handle it for me!)

I also read something about how disabled drivers really appreciate the law because most self-service gas stations now don't even hire people to pump gas anymore, and they are sometimes unable to pump their own gas even though there is some kind of federal law requiring them to. My thoughts then turn to... if you are physically unable to pump your own gas, why are you allowed to drive around in a car? Isn't that kind of scary? I'm not really sure I understand that...

Old 11-29-2008, 04:04 PM
Status: "How many more historical events?" (set 22 days ago)

4,754 posts, read 12,843,531 times
I love that law! We lived in Camas, WA, and I would wait to buy gas until I had errands to do on the Portland side. Letting someone else pump my gas was about the only time I had someone waiting on me like I was some sort of princess.

Old 12-04-2008, 03:34 PM

8 posts, read 60,154 times
I'd say most Oregonians are pretty open people, but this is one subject that you just don't want to riducule us about. I'm in Arizona now and I dont complain about pumping my own gas, but whenever I go back to Oregon I am always very happy to have someone else do it, especially when its rainy/windy/cold! I understand if you don't like it or agree with it, but deal with it. The majority of America doesnt do it like us, but the Majority of Oregonians wants it this way and have voted against self-service multiple times!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: