Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 12:01 PM

8,266 posts, read 13,357,696 times

Advertisements

..., by law, you are not allowed to pump your own gas at a gas station anywhere in OR?

Tell me it ain't so!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 12:09 PM

15,528 posts, read 40,281,166 times
It's true. In Oregon and NJ it is against the law...

It's been on the ballot to be repealed numerous times and the majority of Oregonians continue to want the law...

Old 11-24-2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
It's true. In Oregon and NJ it is against the law...

It's been on the ballot to be repealed numerous times and the majority of Oregonians continue to want the law...
Well, that made it easier for me to choose between Oregon and Colorado!

I don't think I can handle a place that restricts/forbids me from pumping my own gas.

Curious, what is (if there is even one) the logic behind it?

Old 11-24-2008, 09:36 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,030,490 times
if you pop it in the search forum, theres a nice lengthy thread here on the Oregon forum that can answer all your questions and you can see all the arguements for/against. and the reasonings.
happy day!

Old 11-24-2008, 11:34 PM

30 posts, read 129,941 times
I enjoy setting in my vehicle when its windy, snowing and well below freezing and let some young energetic person fill the tank hanging on to the frozen pump nozzle. There are other business and politic reasons why I think this is the best system, but this is the main one...<G>...

Oh, if the weather is that bad, I provide a tip (more than some local waitresses deserve) so the attendant can acquire a hot cup of coffee from the hut on the corner...

Old 11-25-2008, 12:28 AM

12 posts, read 81,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Miller View Post
Oh, if the weather is that bad, I provide a tip (more than some local waitresses deserve) so the attendant can acquire a hot cup of coffee from the hut on the corner...
LOL

Me I just say here is your tip. Look for a new job

Ive pumped my own gas here in Oregon a few times when i visited( Was out of state due to being in the military). I forgot all about that law jumped out of the car slid my Credit Card and started pumping. Then i end up with some kid yelling at me. Ive lived in Oregon my whole life minus the 4 years in the military.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:22 PM

Thanks for all the feedback guys. And yes, I did a search and read up on it.
As much as Oregon seems like an interesting and scenic place to live in, that pump law alone would be a big enough annoyance for me to overcome, at least for now so I will concentrate on other prospects.

~TL

Old 11-25-2008, 05:57 PM

5,431 posts, read 8,116,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
As much as Oregon seems like an interesting and scenic place to live in, that pump law alone would be a big enough annoyance for me to overcome, at least for now so I will concentrate on other prospects.
Oh no!! What a horrible loss!! Please change your mind - I promise, if you come to Oregon, I will vote against the law the next time it is on the ballot.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:21 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,012,892 times
I LOVE this law! I'm a transplant, and it was weird at first... but you get used to it. Now when we go to other states I forget that you have to get your hands stinky and do it yourself. I sit there waiting for someone to come out and do it for me... then I remember, I'm not in Oregon anymore! Dang it. I really love not having to pump my own gas.

You aren't supposed to tip them. Right? I was told not to when we first moved here, and once I tried and they refused it saying they weren't supposed to accept tips.

I find it hard to believe, too, that this one little thing would be a deciding factor for whether or not to move to a new state! Wow!

Old 11-25-2008, 11:10 PM

6,105 posts, read 5,973,062 times
This Oregon law is a throwback to a nicer time when you could trust your car to the man who wore the star who pumped the gas, wiped the windshield and checked the oil. Why do you think these places were once called service stations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: