U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2008, 09:38 AM

26 posts, read 84,626 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Oregon NEXT week...and am very nervous about driving that u-haul, with car hauler behind over the mountian passes and through snow.

How bad is the I-5 corridor through the pass into Oregon from Calif.???? I'm sure because its an interstate its kept pretty clear.......Are chains required???? Sure hope not as u-haul dosn't provide them.

Any hints for a safer alternative route other then the pass........I've heard some horror stories. WOuld love to hear from someone in the area that lives there year round.......as to how bad it really is.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 03:15 PM

3,344 posts, read 4,840,206 times
well, don't just worry about snow in the mountains. It gets cold and snowy in the valley too you know! My elevation is at 200 feet and we're expecting snow tomorrow and Sunday. Monday is supposed to be 20 for a high and 8 for a low... And snow is also looking likely around next Wednesday/Thursday.

The most dangerous route you can take is probably through central Oregon and across the Santiam Pass area. That is avalanche heaven, but it shouldn't be too bad there now since we haven't had much snow up until now. I-84 is also not a good idea. In addition to high wind, ice, freezing rain, and heavy snow, rock falls are common, especially after hard freezes follow heavy precipitation...which is what is happening now. We're currently in the heavy rain phase.

I'd do the southern Oregon route although it can be shut down due to weather sometimes. Chains are required. It is the best option I think.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:48 PM

899 posts, read 2,692,725 times
HI
I'm in Salem and its just plain nasty out and more to come..I would look at 101 to Crescent city and accross to 5...Its going to be bad this week on any of the roads..Just give yourself lots of time ..101 adds a full day to your drive if your coming up from say Santa Rosa...
Let us know how your drive went
safe travels...

Old 12-12-2008, 05:34 PM

By southern Oregon route, I mean I-5.

Old 12-12-2008, 06:26 PM

16,215 posts, read 19,214,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by befigard View Post
I am moving to Oregon NEXT week...and am very nervous about driving that u-haul, with car hauler behind over the mountian passes and through snow.

How bad is the I-5 corridor through the pass into Oregon from Calif.???? I'm sure because its an interstate its kept pretty clear.......Are chains required???? Sure hope not as u-haul dosn't provide them.

Any hints for a safer alternative route other then the pass........I've heard some horror stories. WOuld love to hear from someone in the area that lives there year round.......as to how bad it really is.

Howdy befigard;.................

Before you travel i would check the weather at Road Conditions and www.tripcheck.com if the weather is bad i would wait until the road conditions are Safe. I'm referring to I-5. Law says chains are to be carried in the winter.

Sometimes 101 north is the safest route. At times it's foggy.

Drive Slow
Drive Safely
Take Care................

Old 12-12-2008, 06:27 PM

2,976 posts, read 4,479,017 times
You check this site for road conditions before you leave on your trip: TripCheck - Road Cams, Road & Weather Conditions in Oregon - ODOT.

The worse weather condition you'll run into on I-5 north is between Yreka, Ca. and Ashland, Ore. the Siskiyou summit being the worse. I don't know where your headed to in Oregon, however, 101 is an alternate route, the only problem with 101, it's windy and sometimes very foggy.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:20 PM

895 posts, read 1,688,114 times
It's unfortunate that you are picking one of the worst weather weeks for travel into Oregon in many years. There is an Arctic storm set to hit us by Sunday the 13th and is expected to bring accumulating snow to the valley floors of the Willamette, Umpqua and Rogue Basins. Moreover this cold blast will continue pushing southward and will seriously annoy places such as Redding and Red Bluff by Tuesday. Neither is accustomed to snow but it is possible that both will get whitened before this plays out. Some forcast models even predict flakes as far south as Santa Barbara and sticking stuff there above 2000 feet.
If you can postpone your move, I would recommend it....Normally I would never discourage anyone from moving to our state; it has much to offer. But given your nervousness about driving a big rig plus trailer and our mongo downturn in the weather, it might be wise to wait.
If you don't have that flexibility, Then it would be prudent to invest in a set of chains. If you end up not needing them they can often be returned for full refund.
You also might consider taking RTE101 as far north as Crescent City and then cutting east on 199 to Grants Pass. There'll be snow on this route as well, but a good deal less than over the Siskiyous. The links in the two posts previous to mine are good places to get the latest weather and road information.
Good luck and stay safe...Hope this helps, FV

Old 12-12-2008, 10:34 PM

16,215 posts, read 19,214,823 times
yep, places like Les Schwab tires & others will refund your chain money if you don't need them...............

OR you can go north on 101 & head east over by Coos Bay

Best of Luck..........................

Old 12-13-2008, 12:03 AM

I wouldn't rule out snow/ice on the 101 this week.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:21 AM

2,976 posts, read 4,479,017 times
The only problem in driving hwy 199 from Crescent City to Grants Pass is the going through the "narrows", it can be a hair raising experience if your driving a u-haul and pulling a car. I would suggest going up to Coos Bay and connecting with hwy 42 to Winston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon