Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 11:17 PM

2 posts, read 49,511 times

Advertisements

For the family from Texas, sounds like Eagle Point or Grants Pass would be a good fit for you. Both have places you can afford to buy with land and school with decent football teams and they are around the size you're looking for classwise! My husband played football at Eagle Point and loved it and his good friend is now the football coach at Eagle Point High School, great guy! We're up in Washington now though thanks to the job market but we'd move back there in a second if we could!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 09:53 PM

43 posts, read 489,761 times
My family and I are basically looking for the same things as Schmidty and their family.

I'm from Northern N.Y (Lower Canada) and moved to KY 9yrs ago to get away from the cold. Now I want to get away from the heat and humidity!

I'm no longer a Christian and the culture of Oregon appeals to me. We'd like to find some land cheap and start a hobby farm, but it would have to be close to a town with a Lowe's as that's where my husband would be working.

We also have two children in elementary school...so the quality of schools is important also.

We don't mind driving an hour or so to find culture and entertainment...are the roads from one town to another easily traveled?

All of this being said...would any of these communities be suitable for our family?

Old 06-26-2009, 11:03 PM

4,281 posts, read 15,707,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreaster73 View Post
My family and I are basically looking for the same things as Schmidty and their family.

I'm from Northern N.Y (Lower Canada) and moved to KY 9yrs ago to get away from the cold. Now I want to get away from the heat and humidity!

I'm no longer a Christian and the culture of Oregon appeals to me. We'd like to find some land cheap and start a hobby farm, but it would have to be close to a town with a Lowe's as that's where my husband would be working.

We also have two children in elementary school...so the quality of schools is important also.

We don't mind driving an hour or so to find culture and entertainment...are the roads from one town to another easily traveled?

All of this being said...would any of these communities be suitable for our family?
I think you can strike Klamath from your list; it's strictly Evil Orange (Home Depot) country.

I'm not sure what your idea of cheap land is, but arable land in the Klamath Basin is pretty spendy. Might worth your time to search some of the real estate sites to get an idea on land prices.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:39 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,731,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
I think you can strike Klamath from your list; it's strictly Evil Orange (Home Depot) country.

I'm not sure what your idea of cheap land is, but arable land in the Klamath Basin is pretty spendy. Might worth your time to search some of the real estate sites to get an idea on land prices.
Actually, Lowe's bought the lot next to Fred Meyer this year. Dunno what their expansion plan status is in the recession, but the press people are still making positive noises about starting soon.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:22 AM

1,236 posts, read 4,033,980 times
Default Lowe's is about 20 miles away... in Medford!

Quote:

You should check out the smaller towns of Rogue River, Gold Hill, etc.!! I'm also not a Christian and, although the majority of people in these areas ARE, religion has never been an issue (to me) impacting the good lifestyle.

Old 06-27-2009, 01:02 PM

Thanks for all of the helpful info. I'm glad to hear that Klamath is planning to open a Lowe's...it seems like a nice place. Does anyone know how it compares to Roseburg?

I would like to be where I can snowshoe...but my hubby loves the ocean...so I'm trying to find someplace that might suit both of us. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I want to thank everyone in advance for being patient with all my crazy questions. But it's going to be hard to visit since we're so far away...and even after visiting Ky twice... I still ended up hating living here. I just don't want to make the same mistake twice.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:12 AM

Default Medford or McMinnville?

I've been doing alot of research and have fallen for McMinnville. It seems to have everything we're looking for...except a job. Medford does though...except that it seems like it's too close to what we're trying to get away from here in KY(heat and crime). I know jobs are scarce right now in Oregon...should we take the chance and go for Medford or hold out for the possibility of a job in McMinnville?

Old 07-16-2009, 12:44 PM

279 posts, read 1,081,007 times
Quote:
I've been doing alot of research and have fallen for McMinnville. It seems to have everything we're looking for...except a job. Medford does though...except that it seems like it's too close to what we're trying to get away from here in KY(heat and crime). I know jobs are scarce right now in Oregon...should we take the chance and go for Medford or hold out for the possibility of a job in McMinnville?
Don't know where you've gotten the idea that there is crime in Medford (enough to cause concern), but that was not my experience when I lived there.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:00 PM

2 posts, read 9,361 times
Noreaster73,
Anywhere you go in Oregon is good. I lived in Portland an Corvallis. I loved them both. You can't go wrong wherever you go in Oregon, though I prefer the coast line. However, I'm sure the job market there would not be good. Have you thought about Ashland? I loved that area also.
I left Oregon for Florida. I'd move back in a minute, but my wife hates the rain of 8-9 months a year. BUT, boy are the summers beautiful, with pleasant temperatures. Good Luck.
Scotty in Florida

Old 07-16-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina-in-Ashland View Post
Don't know where you've gotten the idea that there is crime in Medford (enough to cause concern), but that was not my experience when I lived there.
I'm not saying it's a bad place...it's just that it ranked only 2pts. lower for violent crime than the city we're in now. I grew up in a very small rural town and that's what I want for my kids. I don't want to have to worry about a multitude of meth addicts or sex offenders. Just a small close knit community where people look out for eachother. I realize as far as cities go Medford is probably a pretty nice place to be(just like the town we're in now) it just might not be the kind of place I want to put down roots and live in forever.

Last edited by Yac; 11-16-2020 at 06:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon