Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 05:05 PM

33 posts, read 288,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
No, never crossed my mind that you were being rude.
You live in one of the most beautiful cathedrals I have ever seen.
I've only lived here for 16 months. I'm still so greatful each and every day when I look up and see what's looking back at me. It's funny, though, because I'll talk to natives, and I really don't think they appreciate their environment the way newbies do. I truely believe I could live here 20 years and never grow weary of the view and the pace of life.

... and I'm glad I didn't come off as a dork. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 05:16 PM

700 posts, read 2,595,781 times
Have you visited the area? This would be hugely important I would think

Grants Pass is a strange little town, and maybe the best of the three you mentioned. However it can be a little...."little" in its forward progress and still retain some of the old lumber mill town mentality. They are all perfectly fine little towns with Medford being the largest, however I never cared for Medford and the summers can get a bit out of my comfort area.

Have you considered Ashland?

There are lots of little spots all over the Rouge River Valley, and they may be "close enough" to the three areas you mentioned. I'm a Portland or Eugene person, but love the beauty of southern Oregon...also Bend is nice....

Good Luck with the move...

Old 01-09-2009, 08:43 AM

4 posts, read 16,630 times
There is a beautiful church in Jacksonville, Oregon called Applegate Christian Fellowship. It is in the Medford/Ashland area. Also there is, I believe it is a Calvary Chapel in Ashland. It is also Beautiful and I believe the largest church in Ashland. There is plenty of Christian fellowship in Southern Oregon.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:26 PM

33 posts, read 288,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynne1 View Post
There is a beautiful church in Jacksonville, Oregon called Applegate Christian Fellowship. It is in the Medford/Ashland area. Also there is, I believe it is a Calvary Chapel in Ashland. It is also Beautiful and I believe the largest church in Ashland. There is plenty of Christian fellowship in Southern Oregon.
May I ask if you've ever lived in Texas or known somebody who's lived there? Monstrous difference as far as the impact of churches is concerned ... monstrous.

Last edited by RogueRiverRat; 01-09-2009 at 04:05 PM..

Old 01-18-2009, 09:47 AM

2 posts, read 12,708 times
Default Relo

Perfect timing!! My family and I are looking to relocate and this part of OR appeals to us. We are a late 30's couple with 4 boys (5-17) and looking for our new home base. This part of OR and the Spokane, WA are the top 2 at this point. We are planning a family trip up there this summer. We currently live in the Dallas-Ft Worth part of TX, and it's way past time to get out of here. Looking for a locals perspective on the schools out there. Any distrct better than another? How bout sports? Our boys are into football (what a surprise!!). Looking to buy some acreage outside of town but yet need decent sized schools (around 1-250 kids per grade sounds appealing considering right now we're at 1000-2000). Any towns more higbrow/low rent? We find ourselves in the middleclass lifestyle. Don't want to be in mobile home hillbilly heaven or near a golf course. Like to be able to hunt and have trees, mtn, river views in a good family community. We're definately not consevative god fearing folks (have enough of that here in TX) but have good values/morals/ethics. Am I looking in the right area?
Thnx,

Schmidty

Old 01-18-2009, 03:57 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,047,267 times
Default Check this out........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Perfect timing!! My family and I are looking to relocate and this part of OR appeals to us. We are a late 30's couple with 4 boys (5-17) and looking for our new home base. This part of OR and the Spokane, WA are the top 2 at this point. We are planning a family trip up there this summer. We currently live in the Dallas-Ft Worth part of TX, and it's way past time to get out of here. Looking for a locals perspective on the schools out there. Any distrct better than another? How bout sports? Our boys are into football (what a surprise!!). Looking to buy some acreage outside of town but yet need decent sized schools (around 1-250 kids per grade sounds appealing considering right now we're at 1000-2000). Any towns more higbrow/low rent? We find ourselves in the middleclass lifestyle. Don't want to be in mobile home hillbilly heaven or near a golf course. Like to be able to hunt and have trees, mtn, river views in a good family community. We're definately not consevative god fearing folks (have enough of that here in TX) but have good values/morals/ethics. Am I looking in the right area?
Thnx,

Schmidty
During your visit..... check out The City of Rogue River - It's a very quiet, small town, pop. around 2k but outside of "town" within a couple of miles are very beautiful properties (all affordable now). The schools are good! Eight miles away is Grants Pass with all its options for services, restaurants, etc. Medford is about 20 miles away (?) and Ashland about 30 miles away.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:24 PM

54 posts, read 293,834 times
Schmidty, It sounds like southern Oregon, around the Rogue River Valley area would have a lot of what you're looking for. Between Medford and Grants Pass and the surrounding area you can find several small towns, rivers, mountains, and generally agreeable weather. You can choose to locate near one of the larger towns like Medford or Grants Pass, or settle into a more rural neighborhood within easy driving distance.
Good luck on your move.
minorbrew

Old 01-19-2009, 06:39 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,030,222 times
Probably not Klamath Falls.

Nice town, but far out there - not near the coast.

Sounds like Grants Pass might be the ticket.

A few artsy things are popping up, and Ashland is close with artsy stuff.

Grants Pass has mountains, rivers and fishing, and there is the coast nearby.

You might even consider Applegate Valley next to Grants Pass. We still have a property in Ruch, between Grants Pass and Medford. Lived there for 3 years. One of my favorite spots was the Smith River and the redwoods, which are but 1.5 hours west of Grants Pass. And I still go there almost bi-monthly. Here is a fairly recent image below:

(Google Grove of Titans regarding that tree's local)

So you would have the Rogue River.

Oregon Caves.

Brookings and other cities at the coast. Camping.

Kayaking, Etc..

Old 01-19-2009, 07:10 PM

1 posts, read 11,778 times
Thumbs up KFalls is a great place

My family moved to KFalls from Los Angeles several years ago, and we love it. Our town of approximately 30,000 is home to OIT and we have a teaching hospital as well as the National Guard. There's slow growth - we just got a Jack in the Box last year and it was the social event of the season. We have one movie theatre and two live theatres. There are several museums in town and nearby. Lots of stuff for history buffs. There are numerous community events throughout the year such as the Winter Wings Festival, Migratory Bird Day, Air Show, Children's Learning Fair, summer events, Winter Lights, tons of Xmas boutiques, and a weekly Farmer's Market downtown (seasonal).

KFalls has a wonderful climate because the Klamath Lake acts as a sort of thermos. Our summers are far cooler than Medford or Ashland, and our winters are fairly mild. For the last couple of weeks or so we've had temps in the high 40's and low 50's, but that's pretty rare. Last year we were buried in snow at this same time. Darn ole' global warming!

Right now you could pick up a very nice house for a song. The suburb area is very nice. I don't know about the schools because I homeschool. Also don't know about churches as we are not Xtian, but it's my impression there are tons of them, especially Baptist. But, there's also a nice UU Fellowship.

Recreation aplenty! We are in the Cascade foothills in a basin. Lovely mountains are around, pine trees, lakes galore! Tons of winter sports, fishing, hunting (BAH!), hiking, boating, you name it. If you like the desert, it's not far away - lots of opps for hunting gems out there around Lakeview about 90 minutes to the east.

Now, as for the other towns: Medford is too hot and smoggy in summer, and the traffic is overwhelming. You might as well live in any other big town anywhere. There's not much of a rural atmosphere IMHO. If I had the money, I'd live in Ashland despite also having hot summers. Of course, it's the home to the Shakespeare Festival and is characterized as a "hippie" town. Art gallaries everywhere. There's also SOU, so lots of young kids. Lots of traffic because of so many tourists. But, it's a beautiful little place - so diverse and so many trees. It is, however, very expensive to buy a home there.

Any other questions, just let me know.

Joy

Old 03-19-2009, 12:05 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,468,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire904 View Post
We'll be going back to school - mainly medical field and we are both artistc.
If your object is to go back to school, shouldn't you move to a city that has a university?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon