Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 04:42 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,211,429 times

Advertisements

It's a freezing winter fog. It can make the roads quite icy. Some days it doesn't burn off at all. It can be quite overwhelming, I think. However, as I said, every place has it's trade off. It's a beautiful area.
I have been caught in the central California fog, along 99. That is FOG, LOL! Is that where you're from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 04:27 PM

13 posts, read 40,478 times
Default Fog

Yes- near Sacramento. We are from central California originally but lived in Woodland, Wa. for a few years. Even though I love rain I really disliked it there because there was never a break and I was never well. My Mom loves the rain too but too much gloom brings on SAD, and my grandmother suffered from the weather too especially in the winter. We are considering moving that way because of family, but better weather is a must- that's why I'm curious about GP. The icy roads, are they mainly outlying or in town?

Old 01-14-2012, 11:32 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,105,586 times
One thing some of you seem to be missing, is the fact that Medford and Grants Pass are not all that many miles apart, and there a a couple smaller towns between those two cities. Klamath Falls is about 70 miles South East of Medford and a decent highway system connects all these cities. Klamath Falls is a smaller city than Medford, has less shopping and cooler weather, but also much less traffic. Medford is quite hot in the Summer, Klamath Falls usually has only a few days of weather above the 90's, but more sunshine and less rain than Medford. I've lived in Klamath Falls all my life, I wouldn't live anywhere else, it is a simple matter to drive to Medford or Grants Pass if I need something there, or to drive to the coast if I want a mini vacation. Bend's weather is similar to the weather in Klamath Falls but has much more to offer in shopping, more people and more traffic to contend with.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:11 PM

248 posts, read 340,803 times
Something for people to keep in mind is the different altitudes of the city you might be interested in, and also which side of the Cascades it's on. There's the coastal range, actually just a few mountains and valleys wide, and then the Cascades, which catch most of the rain with the Willamette or Umpqua Valley in between. West of the Cascades it's wet, east of the Cascades, it's dry, high desert. The difference is astonishing from the perspective of someone who grew up in upstate NY and where driving for an hour or two didn't change the climate at all. A 1000 foot difference in altitude makes for a bit colder weather, and once you get south of about Roseburg, the mountains and the attendant difficulty in winter of the snowed-in passes becomes an issue if you need to drive N-S or E-W a distance.

Thanks to everyone for your perspective; I'm thinking I chose well being just south of Roseburg, but I don't need a job. It's really too bad this area isn't more popular as a retirement and tourist attraction; the weather and views are as gorgeous as anything in the south of France or Italy. Maybe we need some chateaus, castles and a few thousand years of history to attract the masses and their money.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:31 AM

1,457 posts, read 6,029,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueRiverRat View Post
If christianity was enough of an issue for you to mention it, you might want to think twice before packing your bags. You will get no Southern Baptistism in Southern Oregon. As a matter of fact, year after year Oregon ranks 49th in the country in church attendance. The only folks who beat us year in and year out are our good friends to the north, Washington, which ranks 50th.
We moved to southern Oregon for a few years, and I noticed that God and church came up in conversation much more in the Medford and Grants Pass area than in northern Oregon.

I think that Portland's large population and the 49th rank you mentioned, would skew the perception of southern Oregon. Basically, there are plenty of churches to choose from, and some other extra religious groups too, without the culture feeling "religious".

Regarding the opening post ...

Medford and Grants Pass seem to fit best. Maybe even Applegate Valley. Klamath is a lot colder in winter. Medford and Grants Pass are still close to arts and culture. Even if Ashland has more arts, Medford and Grants Pass will reach it. Applegate Valley and Grants Pass have more mountains in close proximity. Grants Pass is about 90 minutes from the ocean, and Medford just over 2 hours from it.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:34 AM

1,457 posts, read 6,029,837 times
So ... just noticed that someone unearthed one of the archaic topics.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:58 PM

38 posts, read 225,111 times
You know what's funny? By the time this thread was on page 4, we had already moved to Hillsboro, OR and Forest Grove and moved back to the east coast (mistake). Unfortunately, we were only in OR for 4 months before giving up on the employment. We couldn't even get an interview back in 2009! We ended up going north to Hillsboro to stay with family.
Interestingly, we are looking to move back to OR soon, so maybe we'll end up in Grants Pass or K. Falls this time. We definitely want to be away from big city. About 20,000 people is fairly nice. School isn't so much a big deal, and if we do go back, it would only be for a 2-year degree. We plan on starting a family soon and homesteading, so crop planting is important.
So...thanks for keeping this thread alive, ya'll!

Old 03-09-2012, 05:06 PM

543 posts, read 1,146,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueRiverRat View Post
I've only lived here for 16 months. I'm still so greatful each and every day when I look up and see what's looking back at me. It's funny, though, because I'll talk to natives, and I really don't think they appreciate their environment the way newbies do. I truely believe I could live here 20 years and never grow weary of the view and the pace of life.

... and I'm glad I didn't come off as a dork. Thanks.
Like it says in Joni Mitchell's song... "Big Yellow Taxi" - You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone! I've found that people who were born here in large part, may not appreciate it as fully because they have nothing to compare it to. If they've traveled or moved away for awhile and then returned or unless they have developed enjoyment of nature as part of their value system a way of life - those can be exceptions rather than the rule. No offense intended here.

Us transplants who came from places without the dramatic natural wonders look at Oregon like a huge Christmas buffet. After spending a lifetime in scenic drought, finally getting my fill is like living in a vat of visual chocolate.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:20 PM

10 posts, read 25,978 times
are there water issues in the beatty area??

Old 03-10-2013, 01:08 PM

2 posts, read 4,147 times
Does anyone know if the air quality is any better in regards to the smoke in the summer time in Grants Pass vs Medford?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon