Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2008, 10:53 AM

2,793 posts, read 4,058,583 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if you great people could help me out. I am thinking about moving to OR after my divorce. I dated a man who lived there, and my friend lived up there, so I've visited, and well, loved it. The clean air, the color green, you know what I mean.

Anyhow. The only place I had been to is Beaverton. I really loved the area and how it reminds me of suburbia, but yet, it's close enough to the city that I can go visit if I want. Hopefully, I won't need to get a job in downtown Portland.

I know of Hillsboro, Beaverton, and Aloha. Obviously, there's a LOT more in that general area. I was wondering what areas are good ones. I heard Aloha was pretty run down, but never really visited, so I have no clue. I'm just looking for dog-friendly areas. Suburbia, but grocery/banks are somewhat nearby (i.e. I don't want to drive 10 miles to go to the bank, get fast food, or groceries). Freeway access is nice, but not a must (if I do have to get on the freeways, I don't want to drive 20 to get to it).

(Thought I'd add more info since I see others have done that).
I'm in my mid-30s, will probably return to school for my Master's degree. Obviously, I'll be single and probably not looking, but eventually will. I have no kids, and don't want any (family friendly places are nice, but I guess I don't need a kid town either). I would love to be near parks that I can walk my dogs or even a dog park. As for outdoor activities, besides golfing, I don't do much, but would love to start when I get there. I love variety, and yet, am happy not changing. I guess, I"m more of a "little bit of this, little bit of that" but no extremes one way or another.

I'm starting my search early so I can research the areas, and hopefully visit them before I make my final destination.

Obvoiusly, any other suggestions are welcome. I'll do some research on all the areas suggested (hopefully, there won't be 100+).

Thanks for any help.
psichick

Last edited by psichick; 12-23-2008 at 12:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 12:07 PM

480 posts, read 2,462,386 times
If you are thinking of moving here in the very near future, you might want to put getting a job as number one, then figure out the areas that you can move to that are in a reasonable proximity of work. Oregon has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country, so I strongly encourage you to find a job before you move unless your background is in medicine or some other highly desirable field. Of course, if you are a couple of years out (getting your master's before moving), then that might change things a bit

Old 12-23-2008, 12:25 PM

Thanks Bendite. I would definitely make work a priority, hence living in the Beaverton area, as it's somewhat close to Portland if I need to get into the city to find a job. Being a sr/exec admin assist, I will say that it is a common job, but not always an easy one to fill when there's so many of us. If I do move, it probably wouldn't be until 2010 or late 2009 anyways, so let's hope the economy turns around first. I'll be staying home and paying bills until things get a bit better on all ends.

After looking at some schools, it looks like UO or Pacific Univ are my best bets. But I'm still doing research. Obvoiusly, this move wouldn't be anytime soon. Trying to get my ducks in order. lol.

Old 12-27-2008, 06:45 PM

77 posts, read 300,342 times
I would look into SW Portland. It's a little suburban and a little urban, very easy commute to downtown , accessible to shopping, restaurants etc. The commute from Beaverton to downtown can suck if you have to use Hiway 26, so keep that in mind.

Good luck with the ducks.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimhamblin View Post
I would look into SW Portland. It's a little suburban and a little urban, very easy commute to downtown , accessible to shopping, restaurants etc. The commute from Beaverton to downtown can suck if you have to use Hiway 26, so keep that in mind.

Good luck with the ducks.
Thanks for the suggestion. What cities are in SW Portland? I'll have to check a map, but y'know, I know nothing about the area. I think I need to print out a map, esp one of the highways. I have no idea where H26 goes. lol.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:27 AM

15,538 posts, read 40,304,505 times
She's referring to Portland proper like the West slope, and West Hills areas. They can be pretty pricey. Just remember that U of O is in Eugene which is about two hours plus away from Portland depending on traffic. Pacific is in Forest Grove.

Our unemployment rate is 8.1% right now and they are expecting it to hit double digits potentially, so...I agree 1) narrow down your school choice, then 2) get a job first.

I would encourage you to stick along 26 if possible if you plan to go to Pacific. You can take the Max into Portland, of course that assumes your job is within a short bus ride, bike ride, or walk of the max. Orenco Station is a nice area of condos and townhomes, right on the max.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:39 AM

Question, I have read the threads about traffic. I'm curious. If I lived in Beaverton, pick a general area, how long would it take me to get to Downtown Portland (again, pick an area). I'm just curious how bad it is. I live in SoCal where if its the commute is equal to miles times three. Or thereabouts. (i.e. 20 miles equals 60 mins in commute). I'd like to know if the commute is about the same, worse, etc.

Also, as an admin assist. I can work almost anywhere, so, let's hope when I'm ready to move, there are jobs outside of downtown. I've never had to work in downtown LA/Santa Ana/San Diego, so I'm assuming I'd never have to work in downtown Portland.

I have a lot of research to do. School, job, commute, areas, thanks so far!

Old 12-29-2008, 10:43 AM

Thanks Silverfall. I will keep in mind public transportation. And yes, I have to do some serious research on schools, not to mention jobs. At least being an admin assist gives me lots of options of WHERE to work. When I move, it'll just be a matter of IF I can find something. I hope unemployment rates don't hit double digits. Not good for OR, or me hehehe.

Old 12-29-2008, 03:05 PM
2Z4

26 posts, read 54,805 times
Beaverton/West side traffic depends on the time of day - if it's in the morning rush hour(s), Beaverton proper to downtown Portland might be 30 minutes. If it's in the evening on the way back, could be 45 minutes or more. The west side is a nice place to live, but you pay for it with heavy traffic congestion. Also keep in mind that in Oregon, transportation dollars in urban areas are mostly invested into mass transit, such as the MAX line or Tri-Met, not into reducing traffic congestion.

Old 12-29-2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Z4 View Post
Also keep in mind that in Oregon, transportation dollars in urban areas are mostly invested into mass transit, such as the MAX line or Tri-Met, not into reducing traffic congestion.
That's okay, there was a research done and widening roads/freeways don't do jack either to help congestion, mostly because they're typically about 10 years behind the population rate.

And besides, taking public transportation would be a new and fun adventure for me. lol. No seriously, it could be. I've never even been on a bus here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon