Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2009, 02:51 PM

4 posts, read 8,605 times

Advertisements

For the last several years I have had a great desire to move to Oregon, due to my occupation as a horticulturalist. However I have never seriously thought I would do it (it was just a dream). My fiancee and I are seriously considering a move and Oregon is top of the list. I would like to find a job at a wholesale nursery, or something in a horticulture related job. my fiancee has been working in the landscape industry for the past ten years, and also has sales experience. However I am aware of the recent snow/ice storms that were present around Christmas, and wondering if anyone knows how this has affected horticulture jobs? Also I know Oregon has a very high unemployment rate, is that industry specified or is it pretty widespread among various occupations? Also we have two smalls dogs and two cats, are there a lot of places that rent to people with animals? We are laid back, outdoors people, looking for a change, any reasons to move to Oregon or not to move to Oregon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 03:42 PM

26,511 posts, read 36,380,464 times
The wholesale nursery industry in pretty huge in western Oregon; you probably will be able to find work.

The Oregon Association of Nurseries website/magazine will be of interest to you. There is some information on their site about this year's storm damage to the industry, as well as employment classifieds. Also, quite a few of the wholesale nurseries seem to have job listings on their sites.

http://oan.org/

Old 01-12-2009, 04:07 PM

15,508 posts, read 40,224,036 times
I know that some of the nurseries had to close due to lack of jobs as builders stopped building. There was less need for materials for landscaping.

We have ice/wind storms pretty much every year. It's part of living in Oregon.

Finding a place to rent with 4 pets will be difficult. It can be done, but be prepared to pay large pet deposits and/or increased rent.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:21 PM

26,511 posts, read 36,380,464 times
You might want to look at the Oregon Gardens also--

The Oregon Garden

Old 01-14-2009, 07:36 AM

10 posts, read 27,576 times
The Oregon Gardens is beautiful! If you could get a job there, I think, unless the administration is dreadful, you would love it.

The Willamette Valley has great soil and lots of farming goes on there. East of the Mountains seems to be more high desert than anything else. I'm less sure about the Southern part of the state but I think there are pockets of farming as well. Just in from the coast also has farming and I'm just guessing that horticulture needs good soil, no?

Good luck. Oregon is gorgeous, the ocean is miraculous. Depending upon where you land, be prepared for drastically different weather. Seasons all sort of mush into one another. A lot of midwesterners move there for the more temperate climate...again, depending upon where you land, Oregon has a lot of different climates.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:23 AM

899 posts, read 2,932,306 times
Hi
On oregon gardens you should check with them but as a volunteer in the hort dept out there i know there is some budget issues...Its now owned by Moonstone properties..The gardens are a bit of everything we grow here in the northwest and the interaction with guest is fun too..
Send me a private message and I'll give you the name of the head of Hort so you can call her.

For anyone that hasn't visited there its worth the trip even now when the plants are sleeping..
good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon