Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 04:48 PM

1 posts, read 12,224 times

Advertisements

My husband was offered a position in Madras, Oregon and would appreciate any feedback about this town. We are certainly open to any opportunity, but do not want to move blindly without some serious consideration and any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 05:51 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,540,188 times
Habla espanol?

You better be able to.

Aside from that it's a dusty farm & ranch town with deeply conservative roots.

That said, it is in eastern Oregon and the weather is wonderful.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:19 AM

252 posts, read 960,499 times
It's a rural small town that's about an hour drive from Bend, OR, which is a growing city that is quite a bit more urban. If you're coming from the city or suburbs, it would be quite a change...

Old 05-01-2010, 08:36 PM

1 posts, read 11,316 times
dont do it if you have children.....nothing to do, worst schools look up state report cards, police, judges, dhs, DA all corrupt....You are either in with that crowd or you will ignored or isolated. High drug (meth)rate. teen pregro rate very high.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:17 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,709,008 times
It's located in Central Oregon, about a hour away from Bend and 2 and a half hours from Portland. It is isolated. Check it out before you make the move!!

Old 05-01-2010, 11:51 PM

54 posts, read 293,834 times
slsmgr, Madras is essentially a small, rural farm town. If you're uncomforatable with that kind of a community but still feel you don't want to pass up the position offered, you might consider living in Redmond. It's 26 miles south on Hwy 97 and has considerably more to offer in the way of shopping, services, and schools. Bend offers an even more urban/suburban atmosphere, with all the amenities, but it is another 16 miles further south on Hwy 97 and with increased traffic, would be close to an hour's drive from Madras.
For some folks, Central Oregon is considered a very desireable place to live and moving there could work well for you, especially if you might be willing to do some commuting. Either way, it's always wise to collect all the information you can and check it out first hand by visiting the area.
Good luck,
minorbrew

Old 05-12-2010, 11:26 AM

Location: Outer edge of Portland metro, a stone's throw to the Clackamas R:)
38 posts, read 143,102 times
You don't say where you'd be moving from, so it's hard to tell how much of a shock (or not) Madras would be.

My few experiences with Madras have been stopping for a bite to eat (at the Black Bear Cafe while out riding my Sportster)/picking up food supplies for camping (at the KOA 8 miles south of town)/passing thru on my way to somewhere else (3+ times)...but if my initial impression when I first drove there has any worth, here it is:

I thought it was a typical, rural, crossroads farm/ranch community. There are small shops for boutique shopping and farm/ranch supply stores for goods of that nature. I noted 2 major grocery chains: Safeway and Thriftway, but there may be more. I stopped at the Safeway last Saturday on my way back to our campground after rafting on the Deschutes. Something that stood out was an entire section of grocery items that would normally only be found at a Hispanic grocery store. Interestingly, instead of the somewhat racist attitude illustrated by a previous poster (habla espanol? you better be able to), I was impressed that Safeway "got it" and provided the types of groceries that I would want, if I was a transplant from Mexico or some other Hispanic region. Yes, there must be a large Hispanic population in and around Madras--probably related to the agriculture economy--just as there is in areas of Clackamas, Multnomah and Washington counties (Portland area). If that would deter you from taking a job there, then it's best you know that up front.

Personally, I thought it was a nice little town. It is close to a lot of outdoor recreation--the Deschutes, several state and local parks, Bend & Mt. Bachelor, Lake Billy Chinook & Haystack reservoir for starters.

I'd certainly check it out with an open mind, particularly if the job seems to be a good one with a future. Good luck!

Old 05-12-2010, 11:39 AM

321 posts, read 1,135,333 times
If you are really outdoorsy, there is a lot of opportunity for outdoor activities. It's too small and sleepy a town for me - and the economy is not good. Unemployment rate is high. Don't know if you have kids or what your age is, but it's not a place I'd move to with kids. You might also look into Prineville. It's not too far from Madras.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:22 PM

83 posts, read 185,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlingal View Post
You don't say where you'd be moving from, so it's hard to tell how much of a shock (or not) Madras would be.

My few experiences with Madras have been stopping for a bite to eat (at the Black Bear Cafe while out riding my Sportster)/picking up food supplies for camping (at the KOA 8 miles south of town)/passing thru on my way to somewhere else (3+ times)...but if my initial impression when I first drove there has any worth, here it is:

I thought it was a typical, rural, crossroads farm/ranch community. There are small shops for boutique shopping and farm/ranch supply stores for goods of that nature. I noted 2 major grocery chains: Safeway and Thriftway, but there may be more. I stopped at the Safeway last Saturday on my way back to our campground after rafting on the Deschutes. Something that stood out was an entire section of grocery items that would normally only be found at a Hispanic grocery store. Interestingly, instead of the somewhat racist attitude illustrated by a previous poster (habla espanol? you better be able to), I was impressed that Safeway "got it" and provided the types of groceries that I would want, if I was a transplant from Mexico or some other Hispanic region. Yes, there must be a large Hispanic population in and around Madras--probably related to the agriculture economy--just as there is in areas of Clackamas, Multnomah and Washington counties (Portland area). If that would deter you from taking a job there, then it's best you know that up front.

Personally, I thought it was a nice little town. It is close to a lot of outdoor recreation--the Deschutes, several state and local parks, Bend & Mt. Bachelor, Lake Billy Chinook & Haystack reservoir for starters.

I'd certainly check it out with an open mind, particularly if the job seems to be a good one with a future. Good luck!
I read there was no less than 6 Hispanic gangs there. That saddens me, Oregon's becoming California!

Old 08-17-2010, 07:44 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,559,522 times
Let me guess, each gang has a total of 3 members.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon