U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 07:25 PM

91 posts, read 205,799 times

Advertisements

MIM: Your San Diego friend is very uninformed. There are many surfers along the Oregon coast. I drive from Portland on weekends and 9 months out of the year I can routinely count on seeing 20-50 people in the water at well known surf spots.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 07:34 PM

5,766 posts, read 10,957,618 times
I've done it WITHOUT a wetsuit, but you have to be careful, and limit your time in the water, because otherwise you might hypothermiate and die.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:12 PM

77 posts, read 283,893 times
I have a friend that gets downright giddy when the rivers are in floodstage, river surfing is an interesting alternative, but still, wetsuits are a must. Here's a video of river surfing from my blog: Art + Real Estate I have other frineds that got to Pacific City- be wary of sharks though!

Old 02-09-2009, 03:50 AM

1 posts, read 7,280 times
I haven't surfed in 30+ years but a couple of hotspots were Short Sands Beach near arch Cape and The Cove at Seaside.
Only had a wetsuit top and we surfed year round,even in a snowstorm once. It was cold but our biggest fear (after sharks) were sea lions mistaking our toes and feet as fish as we sat on our boards.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:22 PM

14,743 posts, read 31,169,775 times
The Pacific off the Oregon Coast has big waves and it's cold. Therefore, I've always seen surfers in wet suits. The Oregon Coast is more noted for its scenery.

I saw this topic while scanning the board. We were sitting here at work talking about shark attacks today and there has been a reported great white attack on surfers around Coos Bay every 5 to 10 years.

I think surfing is probably better in Southern California where there's "probably" safety in numbers on the waves.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 02-09-2009 at 06:45 PM..

Old 02-13-2009, 05:16 PM

758 posts, read 2,223,382 times
Some pointers from an old Santa Cruz surfer: You will need a wetsuit year-round. 5mm body/3mm arms and legs works best (balance between being warm and being able to move). Start with a cheap longboard - long and wide. When you paddle out, balance yourself on the board just to the point of burying the nose of the board - you want to plane across the water. Keep your legs together while you're paddling. When you take off on a wave, grab the rails of the board (the edges) and swing your feet under you. It's much harder to get on your knees and then stand up. You can practice the swinging part on your living room floor.

Put the leash on your back foot. Which one is that? Run across a floor with socks on, then slide. Whichever foot you put in front is your front foot when you surf or skate.
Have fun.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:48 PM

14,983 posts, read 36,867,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
I've done it WITHOUT a wetsuit, but you have to be careful, and limit your time in the water, because otherwise you might hypothermiate and die.
Okay...that is nuts. No wetsuit in the Oregon part of the Pacific Ocean? You are a dedicated surfer if you do that...

Old 02-13-2009, 06:51 PM

5,766 posts, read 10,957,618 times
Well, you need some experience with cold-water swimming. It's quite a shock at first, but with experince, your body can become more efficient at managing the cold.

Old 02-18-2009, 02:16 PM

3 posts, read 20,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelinMaryland View Post
Just wondering because I might travel there, seeing as the Pacific Ocean is only an hour drive away from Eugene.

Yes, in several areas....but not at my age! There are surf shops in Newport, Depoe Bay and Lincoln City to name a few. It's cold, use a wet suit. International competition around Lincoln City, rocky ride around Boiler Bay in Depoe Bay and surf action in Newport and Seaside.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:33 PM

2,179 posts, read 5,179,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
If you're a student in Eugene, I believe there is a surf club at UO. I would start there after investing in a 4+ full suit. Florence will be the closet surf spot.

Oregon surf is not like California. Rough conditions and freezing cold water requires a certain commitment and passion for the sport. Oregon surfers are a hardy, tight-knit group. The locals are not known to be welcoming to newbies if you don't know what you're doing. Be polite and respectful .
The above post says it all. To use this location as a "first" will make one appreciate warmer & calmer waters, for sure...

There's plenty to do that's fun outside, you'll find, locally. There are rivers, streams & lakes. No lack of outdoor activities. Bring mud boots.

Kate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon