Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 02:56 PM

121 posts, read 374,832 times

Advertisements

Oregon is considering doing this.

Oregon Mulls Mileage, Not Gas, Tax - Business news | Newser

Wouldn't that ruin hybrid sales?
Wouldn't that destroy the "go green attitude" that Oregon claims to have?

this bill has FAIL written all over it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 03:14 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
No: road damage is related to # of miles driven AND vehicle weight (damage to the road surfaces triples by axle weight increase). It makes sense to tax based on how much you use the road.

But it'd take special equipment installed in the car: equipment Detroit (and Japan and Germany and Korea) aren't even thinking about adding any time soon.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:41 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,958 times
Let's say Oregon can jam through a requirement that every car be equipped with a GPS transmitter and that every gas pump in the state be re-fitted to handle the technology.

What happens with vehicles that registered out-of-state? Will they get a free ride, or will gas stations be forced to employ a second set of prices?

This one seems like a bureaucratic nightmare.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:13 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,545,143 times
I agree that this is doomed to fail.

However, as vehicles get better and better gas milage, and less gas is sold, the money collected by the state in gas tax falls. All the while, the roads are still deteriorating and the cost of repairing them increases.

Therefore, there has to be a new revenue stream to maintain roads & bridges. This idea is poor, but I suspect they will either raise the gas tax or eventually (via the pro sales tax commrades in the People's Republic of Multnomah County) a small sales tax will become law to cover this- and a host of new social spending.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:58 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,714 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
But it'd take special equipment installed in the car: equipment Detroit (and Japan and Germany and Korea) aren't even thinking about adding any time soon.
There are several ways to accomplish this, as transponders have been used in trucking for several yrs. an Asian country I lived in 20 yrs ago did a similar system for high traffic areas (as do may European cities, and American toll roads)

The GPS or cell tracking technology is the easiest implemented, it doesn't have to be too precise, to get a good estimate. (I was reporting an accident via 911 and had just crossed a state line about 20 miles back, and the out of state operator picked up on that right away (from triangulation, and discrepancies in milemarkers))

I imagine the insurance companies will be wanting this info anyway. Our new licenses will probably have some RFID embedded, and we will be responsible to keying the data as to which vehicle we are driving. (Or each vehicle registration card will have RFID that links to our license and reports for us).

Not sure how they will track out of state'rs, but I assume they will keep the gas tax for all, just to play it safe (Its not gonna get any cheaper...)

It won't hurt the Hybrid sales...or the green momentum (at least not as much as low oil prices)

That thought is like us 'Bio-diesel and grease burners' using it as an incentive to save tax dollars (which we don't), or farmers and construction folks burning 'dyed' diesel in road rigs (which they don't). Jail and fines can be an effective deterrent to the honest folks. The criminals will find a way to abuse the system. I learned about 'tractor fuel' vs 'Truck fuel' about 50 yrs ago, with a severe blistering of the BEHIND. I think of that often (may Grandpa rest in peace)

(not that I have ever used a metal trash can to shield my transponder while driving commercially and needing to take a different route than the dispatcher dictated ) Better to ask forgiveness than permission when hauling a load of perishables from SEA to FL

Old 02-03-2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
There are several ways to accomplish this, as transponders have been used in trucking for several yrs. an Asian country I lived in 20 yrs ago did a similar system for high traffic areas (as do may European cities, and American toll roads)

The GPS or cell tracking technology is the easiest implemented, it doesn't have to be too precise, to get a good estimate. (I was reporting an accident via 911 and had just crossed a state line about 20 miles back, and the out of state operator picked up on that right away (from triangulation, and discrepancies in milemarkers))

I imagine the insurance companies will be wanting this info anyway. Our new licenses will probably have some RFID embedded, and we will be responsible to keying the data as to which vehicle we are driving. (Or each vehicle registration card will have RFID that links to our license and reports for us).

Not sure how they will track out of state'rs, but I assume they will keep the gas tax for all, just to play it safe (Its not gonna get any cheaper...)

It won't hurt the Hybrid sales...or the green momentum (at least not as much as low oil prices)

That would be like us Bio-diesel and grease burners using it as an incentive to save tax dollars, or farmers and construction folks burning 'dyed' diesel in road rigs. Jail and fines can be an effective deterrent to the honest folks. The criminals will find a way to abuse the system.

(not that I have ever used a metal trash can to shield my transponder while driving commercially and needing to take a different route than the dispatcher dictated ) Better to ask forgiveness than permission when hauling a load of perishables from SEA to FL
I talked to a friend who has been thru this in Europe. Many people just take 5 gallon gas cans, fill them up, then put the gas in their tanks.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:04 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,714 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
I talked to a friend who has been thru this in Europe. Many people just take 5 gallon gas cans, fill them up, then put the gas in their tanks.
don't try this crossing from Malaysia to Singapore... You may get caned... (Another effective deterrent)

Old 02-04-2009, 03:08 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,110,292 times
If they're going to do it, why not just read your mileage when you renew your vehicle license and tax you for miles driven, rather than developing some expensive GPS infrastructure? Oh yeah, this is government we're talking about.

The next step, of course, is that they'll take all this generated tax revenue and dump it into mass transit rather than the roads where it was supposed to go, then justify a lack of road work on not having funds. So what should be a half-hour drive continues to take an hour by car or 1.5 hours by light rail.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:22 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,958 times
Quote:
If they're going to do it, why not just read your mileage when you renew your vehicle license and tax you for miles driven, rather than developing some expensive GPS infrastructure? Oh yeah, this is government we're talking about.
Because it wil take about 30 seconds for some bright bulb to walk in to the DMV and claim they took a cross-country trip which added an extra 7500 miles onto the odometer.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:31 PM

I like the idea of classifying vehicles by gas milege. The worse they get, the more in gas tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: