U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2007, 05:43 PM

1,870 posts, read 3,936,902 times

Advertisements

I just recently heard that Oregon has a consistently spouting geyser somewhere near Lakeview. Has anyone ever visited this? How far driving distance is it from Lakeview? Is it on government or private land? Is there an entrance fee? Is it worth seeing? Just curious if anyone has any information on this. Sounds interesting to check out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2007, 09:41 PM

29 posts, read 156,762 times
Right off my head I remember it being right outside of Lakeview - you can see it from the road - found this bit off the internet:

"Old Perpetual" Geyser: Rest awhile in Lakeview and visit Oregon's only continuously spouting geyser which shoots a plume of 200 degree water over 60 feet into the air every 90 seconds. A favorite for everyone in Lake County, whether they be traveling through, or a resident. Take a break and sit in the relaxing (and some say, healing) waters from the geyser which can be found within developed pool known as Hunter's Hot Springs. Only 1 mile North of Lakeview.

http://www.lakecountychamber.org/attractions.html (broken link)

As far is it worth it - It's certainly not Yellowstone. It is neat to see from the road, but not worth a special road trip to view it This is just from my memory as a little girl when we would visit my grandparents in New Pine Creek, just past Lakeview.

Old 03-29-2007, 01:28 AM

7 posts, read 37,324 times
Default Lakeview Geyser

Yes, there is a geyser in Lakeview, next to the highway, just north of town. Yes, it is interesting to see. It may not be worth a trip to see, but the beautiful "Oregon Outback" scenery along your trip is definatly worthwhile, beautiful desert lakes, lush forests, spectacular, and very high, cliffs, waterfowl, deer and pronghorns. Much to see so plan for more than a day trip!
The geyser spouts about every 30 seconds in winter, but as summer irrigation season lowers the water table it slows.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:06 PM

5 posts, read 25,345 times
The geyser is no longer. "Progress" has stolen the pressure.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:38 AM

1,870 posts, read 3,936,902 times
I saw the Lakeview Geyser last summer. Definately not a Yellowstone but was still cool to see. More like a wild shooting firehose. "Progress"? as in the homes have capped it and now using it for geothermal heat? (I kind of think that's a good idea).

Old 11-12-2007, 11:28 PM

7 posts, read 37,324 times
The geyser is not gone, only "resting". It slows every summer when the water table drops. This is the third year of drough in Lake County. I do not believe the geothermal well heating the prison has effected it. After we get some rain, it will be back. It was so dry this year that Summer Lake disappeared 50 miles north of here.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:47 PM
v&d

1 posts, read 3,952 times
Default Oregon Geyser Pics

We were there last month (May 2009). It was going strong. I didn't time it, but it seemed like it was about once a minute. Down the street, a neighbor had tapped into the geothermal spring and had some type of contraption steaming in his yard (hot water heater, still?). Interesting. We were just passing through and saw it mentioned on the map, then saw "Geyser View Road" and couldn't resist.

See pics: Your Story On Video (http://www.yourstoryonvideo.com/index.php?id=44 - broken link)

Last edited by v&d; 06-12-2009 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: Add pics

Old 06-13-2009, 02:48 AM

2,317 posts, read 7,337,777 times
My parents lived in Lakeview for a few years when they first moved to Oregon ~30 years ago. They have mentioned this geyser and also some sort of hot springs... Anyone know about some hot springs in the nearby area? They/we haven't been out to Lakeview in years and years. My dad misses the scenery though. I think they'll be glad to know the geyser is still going strong!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon