Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2009, 08:28 AM

27 posts, read 100,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
We're camping on the coast for Father's Day weekend - I'll try to remember to bring some sunshine with us!!
Reminds me of that PEMCO commercial.... "blue tarp coastal camper"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 09:18 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,048,239 times
tide's a turnin....i sat outside today for lunch in jeans and a tshirt, it was quite lovely.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:20 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times
My husband is sleeping right now. He worked a busy week of long nights and being on-call 24/7... I don't know if he's still on-call or not... but I'm aching to wake him up and ask him if he is, and if he's not... drag him to the coast with me and the kids. I feel like it's been too long since we've been... it's only been a few weeks... since mid-May... but I just feel it in my bones, I gotta go!

We're camping next weekend, though, we made reservations months ago... so if we have to wait hopefully I can hold out for a whole 'nother week!

I'll go play with my jar of collected coast sand and seashells and rocks now...

Oh... and recently we had to evacuate and move because of a fire. It was unsettling for sure, but one of my main thoughts the whole time, was - are we going to be resettled in time for our Father's Day coast camping trip? I was really worried that we'd have to cancel due to the chaos... thank goodness our world is now all set to rights again, and the trip is still on!

Old 06-13-2009, 10:19 AM

13 posts, read 52,516 times
OMG - Haggardhouseelf - you had to evacuate your house? Was there damage to your house? I can really understand why you gotta get to the coast and recharge. Hope everything is okay.

RE: Oregon weather. Way back in March - the same weekend that Haggardhouseelf started this post - my family took a drive to Newport along hwy 20. It was snowing (and it was sticking on the road) on the higher elevations between Blodgett and Newport. It was partly cloudy and mild in Newport - didn't need a coat. Then we wandered over to the Yaquina Head Lighthouse and a massive cloud came over us and it started snowing. 'Bout 10 minutes later we had a big sun break and it got warm enough to take off the jackets again. We loved it! The tall white lighthouse in the sun with the clouds behind it was gorgeous.

I've been told by some native Oregonians that the weather on the coast during the summer can be iffy. The warm weather inland tends to bring on the fog along the coast. On the flip side - in the late winter when there's inland fog the coast weather can be clear and very mild - a great time to hunt for agates. Some people here where I live will drive to the coast in the winter when the storms are coming in just to see the beauty and drama that the Pacific storms bring.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:22 PM

Ooooh! I've always wanted to see snow on the coast. WestCoastGirl you are so lucky. And thank you for asking - we are fine! We rent... and always carry renter's insurance... so this whole mess has actually been pretty painless. It felt more like a sudden, very messy, move. It was also just kinda scary watching the flames go at it before the fire dept got there. The fire pretty much took out our upstairs neighbors place, but in our place it was mostly water, smoke, and broken glass everywhere. We're just really happy no one was hurt!

Old 06-15-2009, 08:06 PM

378 posts, read 1,570,513 times
Yikes about the fire, Haggardhouseelf! Glad everything is OK.

Well, guess I rave about the Oregon coast too much, since I love it, but I can't help it. Here are a couple of pictures I took today.

Yes, WestCoastGirl, the weather changes so fast on the coast. I remember a freak snowstorm on the beach one morning (that by itself is just amazing) and so I thought, well, it will be a stay inside and be cozy day. The next thing I knew, in the afternoon, was that it was sunny and bright, and I ended up taking a walk without a jacket! Sometimes just watching the clouds is entertaining. We see formations we could never see in the valley. The wild storms are fun. Some people do drive a long ways just to come and watch. Wild!
Attached Thumbnails
Just got back from the coast.... *sigh*-monday-paradise-005.jpg   Just got back from the coast.... *sigh*-monday-paradise-006.jpg  

Old 06-15-2009, 08:27 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,048,239 times
Thanks for more beautiful pictures!!! LOVE EM!!

Old 06-15-2009, 10:13 PM

Yay! Pictures! Thank you! Looks like a cruise ship back there?

Old 06-16-2009, 01:16 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Yay! Pictures! Thank you! Looks like a cruise ship back there?

Maybe some folks on a cruise to Alaska ?.................................

Old 06-16-2009, 04:30 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,236,871 times
Was that from a Florence beach? (Was that maybe the cruise ship that had a medical rescue pickup by the Coast Guard 40 miles off Florence for a guy injured playing basketball?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon