Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 11:50 PM

13 posts, read 46,352 times

Advertisements

Hi i put down $1000 security deposit for a home rental. Well today my mortage co called and thinks i may be able to save my house. I called to get my deposite back on the rental and they said i was responsible for one months rent because they had taken it off the market for a week.

My receipt doesn't say non-refundable. Can they keep my money? I feel obligated to pay maybe $100 but they want to keep $900 and that's a alot for me right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 08:18 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,538,194 times
Good question for an attorney.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:26 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
It depends on when your lease was set to start and whether or not they can find a replacement quickly.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
It depends on when your lease was set to start and whether or not they can find a replacement quickly.

I didn't sign a lease. I had 5 more days before she wanted me to sign the lease and move in.

Find a replacement? Am i responsible untill they rent it.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:45 PM

So the deposit was to??? hold the house?

Old 03-11-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
So the deposit was to??? hold the house?

My receipt says for security deposit.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:47 PM

480 posts, read 2,465,471 times
You may have to go to small claims court to get your money back. The following link has good information (but it may have changed since it was written, so you might want to check the current statutes or call a lawyer who specializes in landlord-tenant issues). Just a letter from a lawyer could be all that's needed to get your money back. Look under item 17 in the link

Landlord-Tenant Law in Oregon

Old 03-11-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogowarden View Post
My receipt says for security deposit.
Security deposits are by definition refundable. You haven't executed a contract with them so I am surprised that they are trying to keep your money. You have to agree to the terms of the lease, which you haven't seen yet...makes no sense to me.

Here is what the ORS state:

90.297 Prohibition on charging deposit or fee to enter rental agreement; exceptions; deposit allowed for securing execution of rental agreement; remedy. (1) Except as provided in ORS 90.295 and in this section, a landlord may not charge a deposit or fee, however designated, to an applicant who has applied to a landlord to enter a rental agreement for a dwelling unit. (2) A landlord may charge a deposit, however designated, to an applicant for the purpose of securing the execution of a rental agreement, after approving the applicant’s application but prior to entering into a rental agreement. The landlord must give the applicant a written statement describing the terms of the agreement to execute a rental agreement and the conditions for refunding or retaining the deposit.
(a) If a rental agreement is executed, the landlord shall either apply the deposit toward the moneys due the landlord under the rental agreement or refund it immediately to the tenant.
(b) If a rental agreement is not executed due to a failure by the applicant to comply with the agreement to execute, the landlord may retain the deposit.
(c) If a rental agreement is not executed due to a failure by the landlord to comply with the agreement to execute, within four days the landlord shall return the deposit to the applicant either by making the deposit available to the applicant at the landlord’s customary place of business or by mailing the deposit by first class mail to the applicant.
(3) If a landlord fails to comply with this section, the applicant or tenant, as the case may be, may recover from the landlord the amount of any fee or deposit charged, plus $100. [1995 c.559 §11; 2001 c.596 §30]

I underlined the section that seems pertinent to your situation. If you didn't get anything in writing, you might want to talk with the landlord directly about this section. Otherwise it will be small claims court time to get it back.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Security deposits are by definition refundable. You haven't executed a contract with them so I am surprised that they are trying to keep your money. You have to agree to the terms of the lease, which you haven't seen yet...makes no sense to me.

Here is what the ORS state:

90.297 Prohibition on charging deposit or fee to enter rental agreement; exceptions; deposit allowed for securing execution of rental agreement; remedy. (1) Except as provided in ORS 90.295 and in this section, a landlord may not charge a deposit or fee, however designated, to an applicant who has applied to a landlord to enter a rental agreement for a dwelling unit. (2) A landlord may charge a deposit, however designated, to an applicant for the purpose of securing the execution of a rental agreement, after approving the applicant’s application but prior to entering into a rental agreement. The landlord must give the applicant a written statement describing the terms of the agreement to execute a rental agreement and the conditions for refunding or retaining the deposit.
(a) If a rental agreement is executed, the landlord shall either apply the deposit toward the moneys due the landlord under the rental agreement or refund it immediately to the tenant.
(b) If a rental agreement is not executed due to a failure by the applicant to comply with the agreement to execute, the landlord may retain the deposit.
(c) If a rental agreement is not executed due to a failure by the landlord to comply with the agreement to execute, within four days the landlord shall return the deposit to the applicant either by making the deposit available to the applicant at the landlord’s customary place of business or by mailing the deposit by first class mail to the applicant.
(3) If a landlord fails to comply with this section, the applicant or tenant, as the case may be, may recover from the landlord the amount of any fee or deposit charged, plus $100. [1995 c.559 §11; 2001 c.596 §30]

I underlined the section that seems pertinent to your situation. If you didn't get anything in writing, you might want to talk with the landlord directly about this section. Otherwise it will be small claims court time to get it back.
Yea Silverfall what you underlined in 90.297 and also section B.

I have no rental agreement/lease. Just security deposit.

Today she told me that since i gave her a security deposit that binded me to a month to month contract until i signed a year lease.

I don't understand does a security deposit bind me to a month to month contract in Oregon?

Old 03-11-2009, 06:38 PM

What does your WRITTEN agreement to execute the lease state?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon