Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 10:53 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,526,069 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if this is private property that this "porch monkey" is on. If it is, I guess that makes it less revolting since you technically cannot tell someone (or it's a lot harder to do) what they cannot put on their private property.
However, if there's not enough outrage or voices putting pressure on the owner to take it down, well, what might that tell you about the town?
There seem to be an Latino population there of seemingly 10%, so maybe it balances things out a little. However, I've heard a couple of blacks say that they have felt really uncomfortable in The Dalles.
The main point of the post: Why in the hell is this visible like this on an historic site (don't know if it is private property) right by a city courthouse?
Attached Thumbnails
Racism in The Dalles? Why is this allowed to be right across from the Courthouse?-racist-pic.jpg  

Old 03-31-2009, 07:09 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,063,650 times
Hey I want one of those for my front yard. I see nothing wrong with having a statue out front. These things are all over the country, get over it.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:24 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,541,151 times
That has been there for decades. It's not a sign of racism.

Of course, some people see race in just about every aspect of life...

Old 03-31-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
That has been there for decades. It's not a sign of racism.

Of course, some people see race in just about every aspect of life...
It's not racist? You think some of the Trail Blazers would be cool with that?
Christ, I get sick of white people (usually) saying what is not racist against other cultures, when a lot of them don't know almost NOTHING about black history and/or even have blacks that they know well personally.
If this statue was in Compton, do you think it would last even 24 hours?
F on your post.

BTW from wiki.
Porch monkey
a black person,[135] though it may refer more harmlessly to people (especially children) of any color playing or relaxing on a porch.[citation needed]

Old 03-31-2009, 11:16 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,153,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Christ, I get sick of white people (usually) saying what is not racist against other cultures, when a lot of them don't know almost NOTHING about black history and/or even have blacks that they know well personally.
F on your post.

]
Damn, get a grip. I think you are looking too hard for a reason to be offended. The never-ending charges of "racism" by blacks is getting old.
And I don't think *anything* lasts even 24 hours in Compton without being stolen, vandalized, shot at, etc. But of course, that behavior is all because of white racism...

Old 03-31-2009, 11:20 AM

73,002 posts, read 62,578,805 times
Quote:
F on your post.

BTW from wiki.
Porch monkey
a black person,[135] though it may refer more harmlessly to people (especially children) of any color playing or relaxing on a porch.[citation needed]
If it is on private property, then there is nothing one can do. If it is on public property, then there should be some kind of outrage. I was called a "porch monkey" a few times in my life. I didn't know what it meant until now. I can understand your statement. Being African-American, I do take offense to the "porch monkey" caricature.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
Damn, get a grip. I think you are looking too hard for a reason to be offended. The never-ending charges of "racism" by blacks is getting old.
And I don't think *anything* lasts even 24 hours in Compton without being stolen, vandalized, shot at, etc. But of course, that behavior is all because of white racism...
It seems the new conservative way to "fight" (cough) racism is to pretend that it does not exist at all. It gets sickening after a while.
Ok Compton is a bad example, since you may be right on that, but what about, say Harlem (not nearly as rough as Compton)?

Old 03-31-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
If it is on private property, then there is nothing one can do. If it is on public property, then there should be some kind of outrage. I was called a "porch monkey" a few times in my life. I didn't know what it meant until now. I can understand your statement. Being African-American, I do take offense to the "porch monkey" caricature.
You are right about the private/public property thing. That's why I'd like to know if this is on private property or not.
Even if it was on private property, again, it says something about the citizens and the owner, in a negative way, that it's out in the open like that.
Might as well just fly a big confederate flag instead or as well.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:30 PM

480 posts, read 2,465,847 times
I think it's a very important question. I tried calling the Fort Dalles Museum for an answer but they are apparently closed Tues and Weds. I thought they, better than anyone, might know the story of the statue. It may have an historical reason for being there as from the picture, it seems to be an old example. Here's their number:

Fort Dalles Museum................................. (541) 296-4547

There is someone in Bend that has a newer version of one of those statues on his front porch and I frown each time I see it. I think we'd be better as a nation if we were more sensitive to all of our citizens - and that goes all ways.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:31 PM

73,002 posts, read 62,578,805 times
Quote:
You are right about the private/public property thing. That's why I'd like to know if this is on private property or not.
Even if it was on private property, again, it says something about the citizens and the owner, in a negative way, that it's out in the open like that.
Might as well just fly a big confederate flag instead or as well.
It is funny you mention that because I live in a place where many people actually fly their Confederate flags. In fact, a governor lost a reelection over it. Former Governor Roy E. Barnes of Georgia wanted to expand the mass transit system in metro Atlanta because MARTA for the most part is a joke. It would have been very helpful. Unfortunately, he never got that chance because of the Confederate flag issue. He changed the state flag. The pre-2001 flag included the Confederate flag. He changed it. Many residents became angry and elected Sonny Perdue in 2002. The Confederate flag held more priority to some people than improving mass transit. Not eveyone is Georgia is like that, but it does make me think. I digress.

It would help to know if it was on public or private property. This way you would know what to do about it.
This could also be a sad throwback to Oregon's bad old days when Oregon was a stronghold for the KKK. Not everyone is like that in Oregon. I will say that. With that in mind, if something like this is still going on, then there are some issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon