Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2009, 11:19 AM

2 posts, read 15,462 times

Advertisements

[FONT=Verdana]To the Lake Oswego complainer:[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Wow if you are looking for a friend you may want tone down on the negativity and complaining and stereotypes. Just to let you know Oregon State University is an excellent college. They don't take just anyone; you have to meet certain grade requirements. Visit their website and check it out, go to admission requirements. OSU is also well known for their Oceanic studies and many people all over the US come to Oregon for that reason they are one of the best schools in the department, and their college of Business Department is also very challenging. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Have you thought of starting your own club instead of complaining about people? one that involves outdoor activities? Maybe these women need someone like you, have you thought of that?[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]By the way I'm a student at Oregon State University and I'm about to graduate, it's an excellent school with amazing professors that make you think and challange you. [/FONT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 04:08 AM

1 posts, read 6,907 times
This post caught my eye. I grew up in the Portland-Metro area, and agree with most of what I have read on this page. On this post, however, I wonder where they live(d) because I don't recognize much of what they are saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5gypsies View Post
...Do not live in Lake Oswego ... It is the snobbiest, most materialistic, unfriendliest community we've ever lived in. And we have lived in 7 different States, Europe and South America.
... Oregonians in general are not very friendly at all. Only if you are a native will you click with them ... moms driving mad ... yelling at the kids ... No one has time to be a friend
... The schools are not that impressive either ... Academics are poor
... it is a ghost town 24-7 ... Weekends are deserted in these communities ... Summers are even worse. Everyone is in Hawaii or Mexico. No imagination to go anywhere else. No kids riding their bikes or playing outside, in other words being kids ... Dissapointing is the word to describe this place!
I am not a native Oregonian, but have lived here many years, including Beaverton and Lake Oswego, the latter of which is not just for rich snobs. My dad was a school teacher in Portland and we grew up next door to and then in Lake Oswego. Out of fairness, some of the kindest, most generous people I have ever known lived there. And I have lived with and met people from every continent except Antarctica.

I feel bad for this person's experiences. It sounds like they had some unpleasant ones! Either chose some unfortunate neighbors or friends, but I have lived in everything from tiny towns to cities like Los Angeles, and the people they describe can be found almost everywhere. There are DEFINITELY very friendly people in Oregon. I get along with them and again, I am not a native.

The schools I attended have been recognized for decades for excellence both on state and national levels. And many students have gone on to scholarships at prestigious colleges and universities ... OSU can't hold ALL the graduates! =o)

Sometimes I WISH it were a ghost town! Sometimes traffic gives me flashbacks of L.A. (not really THAT bad ... yet). I've never been to Hawaii.

There are TONS of well-used bike and running trails, parks everywhere (I believe the Portland-Metro area has one of the highest concentrations of parks in the country), and almost any kind of activity - cultural, educational or otherwise -- that you can imagine.

It is definitely not to my taste in EVERY area, but I honestly wonder what this person experienced to embitter them so much! We do think of moving once in awhile, but the beauty, variety, and extended family have kept us here so far.

Just had to put in a couple cents' worth =o)

Old 05-23-2009, 06:47 PM

1 posts, read 6,882 times
I am originally from the West Coast Seattle, WA but I currently live on the East Coast. I am seriously thinking of relocating back to the West Coast but not sure I can handle all the rain WA gets. I was thinking of OR. I love sunny days, I enjoy being out doors. My hobbies veggy gardening, upland hunting with my dogs, 4-wheeling with dogs along my side, taking them swimming in lakes or at the beach and riding horses. Ideally, I would like to live on the out skirts of town on about 2 to 4 acres. I would like to be with in at least 1 hour driving distance to a nice town that offer different things to enjoy. I like going to the Library, book stores, shopping in outlet stores, renting or going to the movies, finding good resturants and used funiture stores for treasures. What suggestions would you all have for me?

Old 05-25-2009, 01:55 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,467,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazle View Post
I am seriously thinking of relocating back to the West Coast but not sure I can handle all the rain WA gets. I was thinking of OR. I love sunny days, I enjoy being out doors.
Seattle gets 155 precipitation days a year. Portland gets 152.
What part of Oregon are you thinking about that you believe to be sunnier and substantially less rainy than Washington?

Old 05-25-2009, 02:00 PM

1 posts, read 6,826 times
OMG! Debmom5 DO NOT listen to 5gypsies. I grew up in Burbank, CA and back then it was a very nice community for the most part. Then I lived at the beach for about 9 years and then moved to the Northwest 10 years ago, 9 of which have been spent in Lake Oswego where my wife grew up until she moved to Santa Barbarba to attend UCSB. That said, L.O. is the best place I have ever lived or could ever imagine living. It meets or exceeds all of your criteria; schools, shopping, low crime, community, nice people etc... The only challenge will be the cost of real estate which can be pretty high but you can check out realtytrac.com to check on foreclosures. 5gypsies you're miserable and I'm glad you're gone or going - clearly your name screen name suits you and your klan. By the way my wife's brother went to Stanford and then onto Harvard for his MBA after Lakeridge in L.O. and OSU is a great school. What the heck are you talking about? Maybe you love Lake Oswego and you just don't want anymore out of staters moving here?!

Old 05-26-2009, 05:10 AM

212 posts, read 426,424 times
hazle- I know next to nothing about OR, but was hoping to remedy that by extended RV visiting this summer (hubby is dragging feet, arms and various and sundry other appendages about this) ;-) However, on a scientific basis, I would stick to the immediate "leeward" side of either the Coastal or Cascade ranges, for less cloudiness and precip. I think you guys call it rain shadow? In theory. And the Willamette Valley supports vineyards, so that would indicate to me a certain microclime which is sunnier and drier than the typical Pac NW drearydrizzle. Unless they've developed a particularly duckish type of varietal which enjoys roots in rain. "Misty notes, with hints of webby-ness and a moldy finish. Approachable now." Nah...

Old 05-26-2009, 11:43 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by investorscooter View Post
hazle- I know next to nothing about OR, but was hoping to remedy that by extended RV visiting this summer ...the Willamette Valley supports vineyards, so that would indicate to me a certain microclime which is sunnier and drier than the typical Pac NW drearydrizzle. Unless they've developed a particularly duckish type of varietal which enjoys roots in rain. ...
Growing season for grape production (summer / early fall) = lots of sun in 'the valley'. (long days too... 5AM to 9PM). Grape varieties in place have root tolerance to WET winters, and the foggy / gray days of winter are not as harmful to grapes, and they may be to your DH Lots of grapes in 'the gorge' it might be a better climate choice coming from FL. Columbia Gorge Wine Growers on the Web

Old 05-26-2009, 03:02 PM

12 posts, read 44,835 times
Native Portlander for 31 years. I've experienced every part of the state.

"Where is the best place to live in Oregon" is broad so I'll keep it short. You can ask questions later.

This is in no particular order...

Portland and surrounding areas:
Portland
Beaverton (burb of Portland, but nice areas with lots of shopping)
Sherwood (small family community, but about 30 min from Portland)
Tualatin
West Linn (higher home prices)
Lake Oswego (high priced, posh, and expensive)
McMinnville (small college town in wine country)
Happy Valley

Central Oregon:
Bend (mountain resort town, recreational area, great weather, hard to live here)
La Pine

Eastern Oregon:
Joseph (small mountain town - port to the Wallowa mountains/Eagle Cap Wilderness)
La Grande

Southern:
Ashland (artsy theater town, great weather, retirees, expensive to live)
Grants Pass

Coast: (I'm not the guy to ask in this area. I wouldn't live in any of Oregon's coastal towns but these are my favorite to visit)
Cannon Beach
Manzanita
Pacific City

Misc:

Sandy (small mountain town about 30 minutes from Mt. Hood slopes, 45 min from Portland)
Hood River (about an hour from Portland, down the Columbia river, wind surfing capital, dryer than PDX, somewhat close to Mt. Hood)
White Salmon (across the bridge from Hood River)

Those are off the top of my head. I know Portland like the back of my hand, so if you have any questions specific to Portland, such as specific neighborhoods, I'll most likely be able to answer them.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:10 PM

9 posts, read 41,343 times
I don't Know about you but i live in Green Bay, Wisconsin and i love it. The homes are reasonable priced everyone is nice, and there is not very much crime. Now if you were looking for healthy places for your self, you should look in downtown Green Bay. I know about this restaurant that opened there about a month ago and serves everything made with no meat, but the food is still good, mabe even better then if there was meat. I forgot the name of the place but i am sure you could find it if you go to http://www.green-bay.org and look under businesses/restaurants. Now the size of the Green Bay area is nice too, there is around 300,000 people in the Green Bay area. Not too big, and not too small. Also, don't forget about the GREEN BAY PACKERS!!! =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D

Old 06-09-2009, 07:15 PM

9 posts, read 41,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adonia1986 View Post
Hello All! I just stumbled across this forum while looking for places to move. I am currently engaged and getting married in October to a wonderful fiance. Shortly after our wedding, we are looking to move to Oregon as we have heard many wonderful things about the state. Unfortunatly we as of yet have been unable to take a trip out there to visit places we may be interested in. That said trip is planned for late August to make sure the places we have been considering are as wonderful as we believe them to be. My hope is that those of you on this forum may be able to assist us in finding the perfect place to begin our lives. Here is our "about us"
I am 23, he is 27, both of us hail from midwest U.S.A. and currently reside in Green Bay, WI. He has a degree in Human Biology, a massage therapy certification and a degree in Chiropractics. I have a degree in Sociology and a masters in Social Work. He lived the majority of his life in a place so small you blink and it is gone, I on the otherhand grew up in Allouze, a suburb of Green Bay. We do have plans for having children in the future and want a place that would be good for them to grow up in. Despite both of us loving Green Bay, it has come to the point that we have begun to question the rising amount of violence and lack of healthy lifestyles.
Here is a list of things that we are looking for in a new place. We are both vegetarians and want a community that is at least remotely concerned with health. As my fiance has a degree in Chiropractics, we would be looking for an area with more "natural" health care empasis. As far as size goes, we would be looking for something similar to the size of Green Bay, ideally with a suburb not to far away. We both love nature, and the outdoors and are particularly fond of rock climbing. Having lived near a bay most of our lives, ideally we would be remotely close to a body of water, no matter what form. We both also share a love of music and theatre and love almost all weather. As far as living expenses are concerned, we would be looking to purchase a home no greater in cost than $150,000 in a neighbourhood that is both child and pet friendly.
I would like to take a moment and thank all of you for any imput you may be able to offer us and appreciation for taking the time to read this post.
I don't Know about you but i live in Green Bay, Wisconsin and i love it. The homes are reasonable priced everyone is nice, and there is not very much crime. Now if you were looking for healthy places for your self, you should look in downtown Green Bay. I know about this restaurant that opened there about a month ago and serves everything made with no meat, but the food is still good, mabe even better then if there was meat. I forgot the name of the place but i am sure you could find it if you go to City of Green Bay - It's All Here! and look under businesses/restaurants. Now the size of the Green Bay area is nice too, there is around 300,000 people in the Green Bay area. Not too big, and not too small. Also, don't forget about the GREEN BAY PACKERS!!! =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon