Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 12:52 AM

1 posts, read 20,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by debmom25 View Post
Our family is looking to move back to the West Coast. We have been doing plenty of research on various areas, and we are trying to determine where most people think is the best place in Oregon. So as not to taint the responses we will leave it open to your suggestions, and not give a list of which towns we have looked into.

Here is our wish list:

High-Priority
Good Schools
Near (within 5-10 miles) to Nationally-Known Stores
Moderate Housing Costs
Low Crime

Would Be Nice (but not essential)
Close to the coast

We are coming from the East Coast looking for a sense of community, and most importantly a place where we can safely raise our children.

Any help with our search would be greatly appreciated.
I would recommend some areas of Beaverton, Hillsboro and the west side of Portland. Schools area great in some locations, prices are moderate, crime is extremely low and the area is well-knows for having multiple town centers with nationally popular retailers. The beach is only 45 minutes away.

I personally live in Hillsboro which has a high concentration of technology companies including Intel Corp. Hillsboro is a clean, low-crime, area.

To look at the statistical data for Hillsboro (and other areas) go to: Community Information for the area you're interested in. (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 02:43 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,372,304 times
Sweeet and Brooklyn:
I live in Albany. Not the most glamorous place in Oregon, but the cost of living is decent, close to a lot of good recreation, and the people are friendly. We're close to Salem, so all shopping is available within 1/2 an hour. I've lived here for 2 years, came from Arizona. People aren't clickish here, you'll meet people easily. They aren't turned off by outsiders. We have a Costco in town, and Wal Mart is in Lebanon (15 miles) but they're talking about building one here.
I ride my bike to work all year, and I can be at the coast in just over an hour. Our downtown has a nice historic district, and we have 3 rivers running through the area as well as a large reservoir about 35 minutes to the east. We also have strong church communities here. There is a lot of druggies here, but if you stay our of the "bad" parts of town you'll be fine. Not much crime, in fact we have stores in the outlying areas that have collection boxes to pay by "honor system". If the clerk is out busy, just put your $20 in the box and take your change.
We're sorrounded by turf farms, though, and this is a bad place if you have allergies. Also, state and property taxes are a bit high, they more than make up for the no sales tax. Granted, if you're from a pricey area, the property tax won't seem high, although you'll be paying the same tax for a $200k house (which is a decent house here) that you might in other areas for a $400-500k house.
Also, the earlier post that mentioned Cottage Grove is good advice. Real nice little town.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:46 PM

16 posts, read 99,154 times
I am amazed at how many folks feel that good location should entail areas of higher development. Don't you guys desire a more natural secluded country feel? Like someplace very quiet (no distant traffic noise) and you can go outside and there is no neighbors able to see you???? Don't get me wrong I understand the reason for subdivisions, and not everyone can do the acreage thing, but don't you think if you were to move here that one of the reasons would be a less artificial environment? Just interested..... not trying to cause trouble.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:07 PM

1 posts, read 20,675 times
I 2 AM MOVING 2 PORTLAND OREGON AND I AM VERY EXCITED MY MOM IS GOING THE LAST WEEK OF MAY BY CAR AND THEN MY BROTHER AND I WILL LATER FLY OUT SO, I AM VERY INTERESTED ABOUT WHERE A GOOD PLACE 2 LIVE IN OREGON IS!!!

Old 02-03-2008, 05:11 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,853,538 times
Hi Calayhalohame! The best place in oregon is going to depend on what kind of place you want to live in. Will you need jobs? Are you looking for a big city,suburb or a small city? There's not really just one place that is best for all.

Welcome to Oregon!

Old 02-04-2008, 08:10 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,686,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgcamper View Post
I am amazed at how many folks feel that good location should entail areas of higher development. Don't you guys desire a more natural secluded country feel? Like someplace very quiet (no distant traffic noise) and you can go outside and there is no neighbors able to see you???? Don't get me wrong I understand the reason for subdivisions, and not everyone can do the acreage thing, but don't you think if you were to move here that one of the reasons would be a less artificial environment? Just interested..... not trying to cause trouble.
I have to agree with you mjgcamper. I am having the same debate on the Colorado forums. My husband and I are considering moving to Oregon from Colorado, but it much more expensive for what we want.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:48 AM

353 posts, read 934,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calayhalohame View Post
I 2 AM MOVING 2 PORTLAND OREGON AND I AM VERY EXCITED MY MOM IS GOING THE LAST WEEK OF MAY BY CAR AND THEN MY BROTHER AND I WILL LATER FLY OUT SO, I AM VERY INTERESTED ABOUT WHERE A GOOD PLACE 2 LIVE IN OREGON IS!!!
Shhhhhhhhh.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:16 PM

16 posts, read 99,154 times
Thank you Delta07. Nice to know that I am not the only one that feels this way.I think people are more relaxed / happier out in the country.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:31 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,032,874 times
People, if you're looking at coming to Oregon...AWESOME!!! Welcome! However, a couple of words of advice so we can help you better.

First off, what do you consider "affordable" or "average" for housing. Unless we know what your parameters are, we can't help a lot because we might steer you someplace that's beyond your means. Or steer you away from some place you might prefer.

Open-ended questions like "Where should I live?" tell us nothing. Include your preferences regarding schools, political climate, weather, shopping/entertainment, the arts, recreation, etc.

If you do that, we can help you so much more. Oregon has so much to offer (ignore the stupid comments from 5gypsies). Again, welcome!

Old 02-20-2008, 01:28 AM

1 posts, read 20,477 times
Thumbs down generalizing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5gypsies View Post
To all of those people moving to Oregon...
Do not live in Lake Oswego even if you can afford to live here.
It is the snobbiest, most materialistic, unfriendliest community we've ever lived in.
And we have lived in 7 different States, Europe and South America.
It is deceiving because it looks so beautiful. Don't waste your money..
Oregonians in general are not very friendly at all. Only if you are a native will you click with them.The schools are not that impressive either.Lots of drugs in the High Schools since the parents have so much money. Academics are poor.All high schoolers regardless of their grades end up in Oregon State University. No higher expectations than that ! Bullies too are big here and parents seem to be fine with it.In our bus stop there are over 25 kids, you would never know because it is a ghost town 24-7. Where are the kids you ask? overscheduled with after school activities,moms driving mad with their starbuck's coffe, yelling at the kids but bragging about their first place in the soccer game,baseball,swimming ect. No one has time to be a friend, it takes up their time. Weekends are deserted in these communities....not a soul..everyone is in some field fanatic about making their kids #1. Summers are even worse. Everyone is in Hawaii or Mexico.No imagination to go anywhere else.No kids riding their bikes or playing outside, in other words being kids.
Dissapointing is the word to describe this place !
I do want to say that outside of the burbs there is plenty of outdoor things to do.
You will just have to relly on yourself and plan to keep in touch with family and old friends for a social life.
That is the worst generalization I have ever read. Obviously you've never lived in California if you think Oregonians are snobby and unfriendly. Just because you happened to live in Lake Oswego does not mean the entire state was like that. You happen to move into the most snobby place to live and maybe that says something about you. That is not what Oregon is about, we are free loving, peaceful people who are just out to have a good time. Maybe take a stroll down Hawthorne or NW 21st or 23rd sometime and eat your words. I went to school in Portland and ended up in a private school in Southern California. The best place to live if you really want to live in a friendly community that is nice, but somewhat affordable is Happy Valley. Lake Oswego is Orange County minus the beach and warm weather, so what would you expect moving there? If you want an Oregonian to respect you, you have to respect them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon