Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 12:53 AM
QBQ QBQ started this thread

2 posts, read 28,356 times

Advertisements

We may be relocating to Oregon—we're thinking of Eugene—and wonder if Eugene, or any other city in Oregon, appreciates four-footed family members the way we do.

We love to hike with our dogs off their leashes, under voice control, several hours at a time. This is how we recreate. We HATE the two-acre dog runs we have here and have to sneak around like criminals to walk along the river.

Don't point me to your favorite "dog park" unless it offers trails where we can walk at least 5-10 miles in scenic beauty. Put another way, just how dog-friendly IS Oregon?

Thanks!

(Can you tell I'm totally disgusted with Sacramento?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2007, 11:21 AM

942 posts, read 1,391,408 times
I think you will find any place in oregon dog friendly, I have never been to any place in the country where I see so many dogs, no matter what town I visit. I live in the Portland area, and I see dogs on the public transit, in stores, at the doctors office, in apt bldgs, you name it there most likely will be a dog there. I can't say I really was comfortable with the pit bull on the bus a few months ago, in fact I was very uncomfortable and got off the bus, because the dog seemed nervous with the crowds. No you will have no problem finding space for your dog here, there are a number of places to take it for a walk, or places that you need to go to, most likely will accomodate your dogs. Have fun.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:35 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,235,032 times
But, off their leashes? That's a whole different story. I know that here along the beaches, leashes are required on the dogs.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:30 PM

110 posts, read 490,946 times
Default Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashelly View Post
But, off their leashes? That's a whole different story. I know that here along the beaches, leashes are required on the dogs.
I understand what you are asking. I live in SE Portland and walk my dog every morning about 8 am through a large park near the river. I would say 80 percent of dog owners have their dogs off leash and no one every says a thing. I have been going every morning for over a year and have never seen animal control once or seen or heard of any problems. In fact, a good friend of mine regularly jogs with her unleashed lab near the river and her dog runs way ahead of her most of the way.

Along the river beaches, you'll see dogs off leash all the time enjoying the sand and water. Animal control really doesn't go down there much, I've noticed.

Obviously, the busier the area (inner NE and NW Portland parks seem really strict because higher poplulation, I guess..because more urban life), the more problems you may run into.

There are plenty of hiking trails throughout the entire city and suburbs and you should have NO problem finding space to enjoy your dogs offleash. Sometimes certain areas or parks become "hot" in terms of people getting busted for off-leash....and everyone will move to another area for awhile and then go back when things settle down.

But I can say that our experience as dog owners here has been wonderful. We have a small dog who gets scared being tied up outside of shops, etc, so we carry him everywhere (coffee shops, post office, grocery, boutiques, auto shops, my son's elementary school, hair salon!) And we were invited in! We didn't even have to ask most of the time!

Hope that helps!

Old 04-25-2007, 12:17 AM

112 posts, read 716,381 times
Default Yes, Dog friendly!

Eugene has several hundred miles of running, biking and walking trails throughout the city and along the Willamette River. On a nice day, it is common to see people out with their dogs, without leashes. You'll also see people walking their dogs in the city, but typically on leashes due to traffic (unless your dog is very well trained and able to handle areas with lots of car and foot traffic. There are also several trails in the mountains, most of them are leash required areas, but I've never seen anyone throw up a fuss about a dog not being leashed as long as it's well behaved. Most of the signs regarding animal restrictions are in public parks in city limits. Certain parks have pet "seasons" where pets are allowed but only during certain months. Other parks have pet "stations" where bags are available to pick up after your dog goes to the bathroom. Whenever I go to the coast I see several dogs out on the beach with their owners, walking, running and having a good time free of leashes. I believe the only requirement is you pick up after your dog on the beach so that other beachcombers don't have to walk through a pet bathroom, and I've never come across dog piles on the beach, so I suspect everyone does their part to keep the beach looking good.

Old 04-28-2007, 03:38 PM

5 posts, read 33,408 times
Bend, Oregon is DOG CITY. I mean, how many other communities have a July 4th parade that are 100% amimals! WoW! A great dog park....great dog care and more!

Old 04-28-2007, 09:18 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Just don't move to a rural area and let your dog run loose, if you want to keep your dog. There's a statewide leash law. It's legal to shoot dogs that are harassing livestock or wildlife. Farmers and ranchers will generally catch a dog and give it a ride to the pound or hold it for evidence, only shooting the dog if they can't catch it. If they have to shoot a dog, they practice the 3S rule - shoot, shovel, silence. You will never find out what happened to your dog. Road crews generally don't notify anyone about road kill either, they just ship them to the landfill.

If you value your dog, keep it home.

Old 05-04-2007, 09:53 AM
QBQ QBQ started this thread

2 posts, read 28,356 times
Default Most Dog Friendly City?

Thank you for all the replies.

Most people have strong reactions when I ask about off-leash recreation in open space areas. I am not an advocate of dogs running wild off-leash where it's not appropriate. And of course dogs should not be allowed to chase or harass livestock or wild ... or other park users. If they do, they should not be allowed off-leash. Dog off-leash should be strictly supervised and if they wander a bit you should have practiced recall, with treats, if necessary. There is a responsible way and an irresponsible way to recreate with your dog(s) off-leash. And not all dogs should be allowed off-leash.

Sacramento is VERY restrictive. We have 4,000 acres of open space along the American River and it's illegal to let your dog off-leash to play frisbie and swim when it's 110° here. But we can walk in circles in a 2-acre, fenced dog park. It's crazy.

Thanks! More replies are welcomed!

Jackie

Old 10-02-2007, 11:46 PM

6 posts, read 26,619 times
Jackie,

I feel the same way you do. I'm in Southern California and considering a move to either the Portland area or the Pittsburgh area (for family reasons). I want to make sure where I move is very dog friendly, and that includes off-leash trails.

Amanda

Old 10-03-2007, 08:36 AM

10 posts, read 94,565 times
I was recently in Bend for a wedding and took hikes with my three little boys daily. We ran across other hikers and joggers all the time with their dogs off-leash. And just about everyone had a dog! I was amazed at the number of people taking advantage of the outdoors with their dogs in tow. Definitely a dog friendly city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon