Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 07:20 AM

102 posts, read 301,830 times

Advertisements

Yeah, we figured that we might be biting off more than we can chew. We are now considering spending the majority of the trip on the coastal cities and having 1 day inland dedicated to hiking and such. We are very excited. Oregon seems absolutely gorgeous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 04:30 PM

9 posts, read 88,023 times
the coast 3 capes senic loop & do not go to cheese factory . the columbia river is a wonder too

Old 04-13-2009, 07:48 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
Howdy Folks.....................

I think you wood Love the Hellgate Jetboat Excursions on the Rogue River from Grants Pass to Gold Beach......or from Gold Beach inland..................

also thar are 1/2 or full day raft trips outta Merlin..............

www.hellgate.com

I think i've heard of a Brewry around Grants Pass or Medford/Ashland area. Perhaps go do a search at www.google.com

When i was a youngster i lived in Milwaukee, Wi when Daddy was off fightin' a war...............my Uncle worked at Millers...

Have a Wonderful Evening............................Grizz.......... ...............

Old 04-15-2009, 10:18 AM

We are now looking at spending 3 days on the coast. What are the "must see" areas on the coast (scenery wise).

Old 04-15-2009, 03:01 PM

716 posts, read 2,816,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by la60336 View Post
We are now looking at spending 3 days on the coast. What are the "must see" areas on the coast (scenery wise).
The stretch from Lincoln City to Seaside but turn off of Hwy 101 at Oretown and take Sandlake Dr, thru Pacific City. Take in Straub, Cape Kiawanda and Cape Lookout State Parks.

Then take the loop from Netarts, Oceanside and Cape Meares. Stop at the Cape Meares Lighthouse St. Park and see the lighthouse and Octopus tree. There's a little section of that Hwy with an absolute panaramic view of the entire coastline. Make sure you also go to Bay Ocean Spit and take a walk or bike ride to Crab Harbor.

After that you'll end up in Tillamook and make sure you see the air museum. (might be the largest wooden structures in the world). Skip over the cheese factory.

North of Tillamook there are a number of small towns and each one has it's own charm. (ex: Garibaldi, Rockaway Beach, Manzanita). They might even be running the tourist train from Garibaldi to Wheeler.

There are some great views between Manzanita and Seaside. Take in Oswald St. Park.

If you're into tourist traps then check out Cannon Beach to pick up your souveniers.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:05 AM

Thank you very much for your insiteful response. We will certainly look into those places.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:43 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
You can't go wrong with the coast. We just came back from the Nehalem Bay area, Manzanita, Neahkanie... beautiful. Summers can be a bit congested on the coast, so be prepared for that. In June - isn't that when cannon beach has the sandcastle festival? If you're looking for places to stay on the coast, yurts are great, and there are some nice hotels and b&b's as well.

Here's a bit of a warning from one Texan to another: Oregon beaches are nothing like what Texas calls beaches. They're cold, even in summer. Wear layers, jackets, and bring warm clothing. Some days you can get by with sandals and shorts, and can peel your outer layers off... but most of the time you'll see people wearing jeans, fleece jackets, socks, shoes... Lots of people in Oregon still live without air conditioning. Even in summer! They escape to the coast to cool down.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
You can't go wrong with the coast. We just came back from the Nehalem Bay area, Manzanita, Neahkanie... beautiful. Summers can be a bit congested on the coast, so be prepared for that. In June - isn't that when cannon beach has the sandcastle festival? If you're looking for places to stay on the coast, yurts are great, and there are some nice hotels and b&b's as well.

Here's a bit of a warning from one Texan to another: Oregon beaches are nothing like what Texas calls beaches. They're cold, even in summer. Wear layers, jackets, and bring warm clothing. Some days you can get by with sandals and shorts, and can peel your outer layers off... but most of the time you'll see people wearing jeans, fleece jackets, socks, shoes... Lots of people in Oregon still live without air conditioning. Even in summer! They escape to the coast to cool down.

Thanks for reminding me. I forgot how cold the Pacific Ocean is. Very helpful advise.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:43 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,450,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davefr View Post
The stretch from Lincoln City to Seaside but turn off of Hwy 101 at Oretown and take Sandlake Dr, thru Pacific City. Take in Straub, Cape Kiawanda and Cape Lookout State Parks.

Then take the loop from Netarts, Oceanside and Cape Meares. Stop at the Cape Meares Lighthouse St. Park and see the lighthouse and Octopus tree. There's a little section of that Hwy with an absolute panaramic view of the entire coastline. Make sure you also go to Bay Ocean Spit and take a walk or bike ride to Crab Harbor.

After that you'll end up in Tillamook and make sure you see the air museum. (might be the largest wooden structures in the world). Skip over the cheese factory.

North of Tillamook there are a number of small towns and each one has it's own charm. (ex: Garibaldi, Rockaway Beach, Manzanita). They might even be running the tourist train from Garibaldi to Wheeler.

There are some great views between Manzanita and Seaside. Take in Oswald St. Park.

If you're into tourist traps then check out Cannon Beach to pick up your souveniers.

What? Skip the Cheese Factory? Blasphemy!!!!
It's worth it just for the squeeky cheese curds and the fresh Tillamook Ice Cream on a warm June Day!!!!!
How can you visit Tillamook and not go to the cheese factory?
(As for Tillamook, it's not that interesting---I hope you like the smell of dairy cows!)
You could go to Garibaldi on Tillamook bay ( a little north) and walk the docks and look at the fishing boats for something interesting to do.

BTW -- Highway 26 from Portland to Seaside goes right through the area where they film that tv show "Axemen".
It always cracks me up that they portray it as a "vast wilderness".
Sure it's kind of remote, but my family and I have run around in those woods for generations and I guess that it just feels like my backyard.

Mike

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 04-23-2009 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: me no spel gud

Old 04-24-2009, 08:06 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
I recommend skipping the cheese factory, too. It's really not that exciting or interesting and the ice cream at BJ's is way better (Bj's uses better ingredients and makes it in smaller batches). It's more just one of those things people do to cross of their "things to do because everyone does it" list. If that's you're boat, go for it, but otherwise you wouldn't be missing anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon