Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 08:59 PM

1,233 posts, read 3,434,765 times

Advertisements

What bout 70 to 78 yr in the Portland area,?can one be in safe area with good schools and get by? We are a small family and live within our means with very little debt and two paid for older cars. Thanks for your responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 02:06 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
I live very close to CL, but on the WA side. The weather is not great... lot's of rain and wind, and freezing rain, it's much better in HR.

but.. if CL is your best choice for school... I don't think it will be a big deal to find a spot to rent, but do beware of summer rush. I didn't see anything in the Gorge Classifieds tonight, but I'll bet there are a few places posted at the grocery or on the street.

There is a nice private school in HR. (probably a few) rents will be higher. Quite cheap and Quiet... places in Dufur (above The Dalles ~ 10 min), and very dry. Tygh Valley even cheaper and prettier. Pretty conservative area, I'd expect excellent schools, but you'd need to check it out...

Old 04-04-2007, 11:53 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
I'd pick Hood River (or White Salmon, in Washington across the river) simply because there's more there. Cascade Locks is barely even a town. Hood River is right on the climate divide between wet west and dry east, and you get a little of both. Pick a house back from the river though, to get out of the Gorge winds as much as possible. Stephenson, in Washington, is also a cute little town.

Mosier and The Dalles are completely on the dry side on the climate divide - hot in the summer, cold in the winter.

Last edited by Waterlily; 04-04-2007 at 05:30 PM.. Reason: No links to business sites

Old 04-07-2007, 04:50 AM

6 posts, read 25,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bretk View Post
I am even entertaining the idea of living in Echo.
Echo is a great little town! I am an Oregon native who works with all the schools in Oregon and the southern part of Washington. I can give you some good insight as to just about anywhere you'd like!

Old 04-08-2007, 01:09 AM

9 posts, read 74,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bretk View Post
I have been told that the school in Cascade Locks is very good and that they offer fulldday kindergarten. At the present time I am a single father of a 4.5 yr old daughter and she will be starting kindergarten in the fall, so all day kindergarten is very attractive. The only problem is that there are not any rentals currently in Cascade Locks. Hood River wold be great also. I am even entertaining the idea of living in Echo.

I do not have good credit so I cannot buy at this time. I had a foreclosure in Colorado after 9/11

I do not mind snow.

My job is to oversee the repair and replacement of 20 bridges from Troutdale to the Idaho Border over the next six years. I have the option of living anywhere off of I-84 but have family in Portland and Florence so I prefer not to go as far as Pendleton or La Grande. Somewhere between Arlington and Troutdale is where I prefer to live.
Cascade Locks is an Indian town, and if you are not indian, I have heard that they will give you crap. At 90k a year, move to Hood River or The Dalles!!!

Old 04-09-2007, 06:34 AM

1,233 posts, read 3,434,765 times
What are has the least snow, more sun and is family friendly, safer and better schools, but on a budget of 78 grand? Thanks!!!

Old 04-09-2007, 11:47 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPaNative View Post
What are has the least snow, more sun and is family friendly, safer and better schools, but on a budget of 78 grand? Thanks!!!
in the gorge I presume? $78k budget = annual spendable?

as far as cities -
probably The Dalles. HR gets a tad more snow (more moisture in general). TD = more family oriented, as HR is pretty 'trendy' (young wealthy families, or singles), generally higher costs for everything + a 'desirable' area.

as far as small towns, there are several 'off-the-track' towns SE of The Dalles, but within commute distance. (if you need a job) These towns are cheaper to MUCH cheaper (sometimes houses under $100k)

Schools, you will need to seek out details based on your preference. I hear there is good info on Greatschools(dot)com

for no state tax, and same climate Dallesport, WA, or Goldendale, Lyle...

Old 04-09-2007, 03:17 PM

7 posts, read 38,119 times
Wow. You better be able to afford something on your income. Unless you have a lot of debt already. My husband only makes 30,000 a year or less, and we are in the process of buying a 150,000 dollar home. But then again, we don't have any credit card debt, and no car payment. Our only major monthly expense is feeding our four children. So, if you can't afford something on your income, I encourage you to take a look at your debt and try to pay it down. Not having any debt is so freeing.

Old 04-16-2007, 05:05 PM

43 posts, read 198,076 times
You'll be living high on the hog on that income up here...even in Hood River. Enjoy and have zero worries about renting a house there for under 2 grand.

Old 04-21-2007, 07:59 PM

5 posts, read 27,082 times
Default I make 90 a year but my credit really stinks!

I am having trouble finding someone in Hood River that will rent to me with crappy credit

my email is bret.koprowicz@obdp.org
any ideas?
Would love something in the gorge for around $1550 per month
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon