Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2007, 04:38 PM

177 posts, read 969,491 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about moving to Dallas, Or. and wondering what you could tell me about local stores, etc. I know Salem is close, just wondering what is actually in Dallas and what the atmosphere of the town was. I like small towns(grew up in a town with pop. of 2,000 and previously lived in a town with pop. of 12,000). I have a job in Salem, but housing in my price range is slim so will probably have to look to towns outside for a nice house. Is Dallas dog friendly? I have two small dogs and would like to be able to walk them around town or take them to a park. I know there is a doggie daycare in Dallas, are there other dog related businesses? Any information about Dallas would be appreciated, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 12:58 PM

10 posts, read 48,633 times
We almost moved to Dallas but chose not to because it was a mill town.

Old 07-15-2007, 10:28 PM

1 posts, read 4,173 times
Thumbs up raised in dallas

Lived here most of my life, great town..
not too big, we got a hospital, wal-mart, plenty of small parks, and one big
park, I see people walking there dogs all the time. We have one mill, so I don't see how that would qualify us as a mill town...
One of the reasons I still live here is because its not too big, and only twelve miles from salem, I also work out of town...:

Last edited by thegame97338; 07-15-2007 at 10:29 PM.. Reason: title

Old 07-15-2007, 10:54 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,632,923 times
Dallas isn't bad; it's a typical small Oregon town. It sits at the western fringe of the Willamette Valley - to the east is Salem, and to the west are hills and trees.

If you are thinking of moving to Dallas, you might also want to check out the nearby twin cities - Monmouth/Independence. Monmouth is the location of Western Oregon University. The Monmouth/Independence area is about 8.5 miles by road from Dallas, and about the same distance as Dallas from downtown Salem.

The area in general has a number of wineries, farms, and parks. It is much less dense than Salem itself.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:47 AM

11 posts, read 46,063 times
I don't think Dallas real estate is much (if any) cheaper than Salem, especially when you add the cost of commuting. I'm not sure which part of Salem you will be working in, but the commute is still far and you have to deal with crossing the congested bridge. I would recommend finding something in Salem

Old 07-19-2007, 11:37 PM

3 posts, read 26,768 times
Default Dallas living

Hi there,
I lived in Dallas for 14 years. Small town of about 13,000 to 14,000 people. There is a Walmart, Safeway, Rite Aid, Ace True Value, Lumber store, Dollar Tree and lots of small businesses. There is McDonalds, Burger King, Little Ceasars, Dominoes, Dairy Queen, Dutch Brothers and other drive up coffee shops. Plenty of fast food to suit your fancy.

There is a small local hospital with a great ER, and surgery center, and they do some short length admissions. Most of the more involved diagnoses get transferred to Salem.

I commuted to Salem most of the time that we lived in Dallas, and it is about at 17-30 minute commute, depending on time of day and traffic. If I worked night shift, and left for work at 10:30 pm, I could easily make it in 17-20 minutes without speeding.....because there was very little traffic. The commute is quite pretty also....especially in the spring when the ground is in bloom.

There is a bridge that sometimes gets congested, but rarely caused a problem for me. Longest wait in 14 years was 45 minutes when there was a bad accident on the bridge that had to be cleared. I only got caught in a traffic jam maybe 8-10 times in 14 years, so really it's not that bad....of course frustrating when it does happen, but not bad.

The community is dog friendly, The city park is very large and areas are separated by beautiful landscaping. They have a city pool and an indoor pool as well. We loved it there. Moved 3 years ago for a job and love our new home and community, but will always have a place in our hearts for Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon