U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 12:09 PM

165 posts, read 978,101 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We're going to be living in Portland or Vancouver and my daughter will likely be attending college in Eugene, needing to travel between the two areas about three times a week. I see the Amtrak between Vancouver and Eugene is $38 each way and takes four hours. Better ways? Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 12:41 PM

1,313 posts, read 6,110,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi66 View Post
Hello,

We're going to be living in Portland or Vancouver and my daughter will likely be attending college in Eugene, needing to travel between the two areas about three times a week. I see the Amtrak between Vancouver and Eugene is $38 each way and takes four hours. Better ways? Thank you.
Three times a week?
Ordinarily, healthy young adults with the degree of independence needed to attend college make 1-3 visits to their parents each year! If there is too much anxiety over cutting the apron strings, then your daughter should look at one of the many universities in the Portland area until she is mature enough to live on her own. Eugene is a long ways from Portland and is not realistic as a casual commute. Even with your own car it is a three-hour drive.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:48 PM

165 posts, read 978,101 times
Thanks. We can't afford for her to live separately in Eugene, so that would be the reason for commuting to school.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:00 PM

716 posts, read 2,632,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi66 View Post
Hello,

Those commutes will cost $912/mo. and consume 96 hrs.

Either have her apply for campus housing assitance, find roomates, get a beater car or pick a college in Portland.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:02 PM

7,785 posts, read 17,078,303 times
When I look it up on Amtrak it's $22 each way, which is about the best you are going to do. It's a 2.5 hour drive, so 4 hours is not bad.

If the idea is that your daughter reside with you in Portland/Vancouver and go to school part-time in Eugene as a commuter? That puts a huge commuting stress on her, and makes it very likely that she'll miss classes. Either driving, riding a bus or going by train she'll need somewhere to stay when she's down there - driving for 2.5 hours and then attending a class or two and driving back is a recipe for disaster.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:21 PM

14,936 posts, read 36,685,504 times
I don't see how she couldn't leave cheaper with off campus housing. You can rent a room cheaper than that. College students live on Ramen Noodles which I think are the cheapest food possible.

I personally could not imagine commuting like that 3 times a week and then actually paying attention in class. College costs a lot of money so it makes no sense to set a young adult up to fail. That is A LOT of commuting.

She may be able to find a carpool down to Salem, and then another one down to Eugene, but that would take just as long. There is also the airport shuttle, but by the time you get out there to catch it, not sure it is any better than amtrack.

I would either have her go closer to you for school, or find a cheap room to rent for her down in Eugene.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:53 PM

10,836 posts, read 18,620,394 times
Don't even consider that commute!!! That is nuts. Find a room-mate arrangement, even if she must share a room. When my husband attended the U he found a room in a school teacher's home near campus.

Get creative. The only other option would be to live at home and attend Portland State.

Don't live in Vancouver, she won't qualify for in-state tuition in Oregon (there are RARE exceptions).

Old 05-04-2009, 11:26 PM

15 posts, read 43,146 times
Wow, that is crazy making, I can't even imagine you are seriously considering such a commute. I mean, it's not like you'd be even saving any money. If you/she can not afford to live separately from you then she needs to attend a college by you, in Portland. There are plenty of nice schools around the Portland area. Why commute all the to Eugene?

Old 05-05-2009, 12:00 AM

1,592 posts, read 3,190,668 times
Assuming that's what you really want to do, Greyhound is the cheapest way if you buy tickets 14 days in advance.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:37 PM

890 posts, read 3,356,230 times
I once had to drive from Portland to Eugene twice in a week and wanted to shoot myself. I think you'd be wise making different arrangements as one like this is sure not to stick for long. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon