U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2009, 12:02 AM

177 posts, read 555,391 times

Advertisements

ok, i'm wondering about some opinions of the best small towns near Portland - within 20-40 min. i've been searching lots of the info on the site, which is great. what i'm looking for is a cozy, friendly, well educated, town with atleast some things to do! it has to have a safe road to portland. a place with a well kept reputation. if we move into portland i would like a place right with a view of downtown portland at night. is southwest area an ok area in your opinion? does anyone know of any nice but not too expensive rentals in that area with that view?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 01:17 AM

6,413 posts, read 11,210,212 times
Portland, dividing areas to the west, has what are called the West Hills. They will block any view of the city from the west. I'm don't think there's anywhere to the east, that i more than a a suburb of the city, where you'd have a view like that. Really, the only possibility would be to the north, in Vancouver and its surroundings.

You'd probably need to be looking at places that are a bit higher in elevation.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:08 AM

14,940 posts, read 36,700,848 times
Forest Grove or Banks would be your best bet for small towns, or maybe Sandy...depending on how you define small town.

You can't live in a small town and have a view of downtown Portland. Apartment buildings are 3 stories max so any potential views would be blocked by other buildings, hills, or trees.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Portland, dividing areas to the west, has what are called the West Hills. They will block any view of the city from the west. I'm don't think there's anywhere to the east, that i more than a a suburb of the city, where you'd have a view like that. Really, the only possibility would be to the north, in Vancouver and its surroundings.

You'd probably need to be looking at places that are a bit higher in elevation.
Ok i saw that pic of the dowtown with the bridge and the lake and I was just wondering what was there on that other side of it .. like any apts right there on that lake.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Forest Grove or Banks would be your best bet for small towns, or maybe Sandy...depending on how you define small town.

You can't live in a small town and have a view of downtown Portland. Apartment buildings are 3 stories max so any potential views would be blocked by other buildings, hills, or trees.
it was two different questions - i said IF we move to portland i would like that view, otherwise we'd probably like a smaller town. i'll check out those towns. i've looked some into sandy.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:22 PM

2,486 posts, read 4,588,838 times
Buildings that wouldn't be expensive elsewhere become expensive when you put them somewhere that has a nice view. I just don't know of a place that's inexpensive and has a nice view of downtown. Maybe there are some new high-rises that have lowered their prices recently?

For small towns, Forest Grove, Banks and Sandy are good suggestions. Also check Sherwood, Newberg & McMinnville.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:36 PM

14,940 posts, read 36,700,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa E View Post
Ok i saw that pic of the dowtown with the bridge and the lake and I was just wondering what was there on that other side of it .. like any apts right there on that lake.
Lake...do you mean the Willamette River?

Anything that views the Willamette isn't going to be cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon