U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 08:05 PM

153 posts, read 498,116 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am looking to get me, my wife and a toddler from bend/sunriver to Eugene airport. we don't need a rental car while there, so just the trip in between.

any suggestions?

thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 10:23 PM

3,970 posts, read 12,985,494 times
A little confused...you're not driving?

If you are, there are two basic routes. One is Hwy 20 to Hwy 126 into Eugene. The other is Hwy 20 to Hwy 242, only open during the non-snow months. The latter is more direct, but has many hairpin turns and probably takes just as long as the longer route. I've done both, it depends on your mood. If you like challenging drives, take 242. If you just want to get there in a reasonable amount of time, take 20/126. Unlike Washington State, there is no freeway route through the Cascades (except for I-84 through the gorge, but that would add 3-4 hours to your trip). Due to the lack of eastern Oregon population, there really has never been ever any effort to build a major freeway from E. Oregon into W. Oregon. (Although I keep hearing stories of an I-5 bypass North-South east of the cascades. Doubt it will happen in my lifetime.)

Old 05-19-2009, 10:29 PM

153 posts, read 498,116 times
sorry, i should have been more clear. I am not looking for directions.

Rather, are there any airport shuttle buses or car services that will go from Bend to Eugene Airport? any idea on cost?

Old 05-20-2009, 11:52 AM

479 posts, read 1,401,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
A little confused...you're not driving?

If you are, there are two basic routes. One is Hwy 20 to Hwy 126 into Eugene. The other is Hwy 20 to Hwy 242, only open during the non-snow months. The latter is more direct, but has many hairpin turns and probably takes just as long as the longer route. I've done both, it depends on your mood. If you like challenging drives, take 242. If you just want to get there in a reasonable amount of time, take 20/126. Unlike Washington State, there is no freeway route through the Cascades (except for I-84 through the gorge, but that would add 3-4 hours to your trip). Due to the lack of eastern Oregon population, there really has never been ever any effort to build a major freeway from E. Oregon into W. Oregon. (Although I keep hearing stories of an I-5 bypass North-South east of the cascades. Doubt it will happen in my lifetime.)
Thank you for your note, even though I'm not the OP. We're planning another trip to Oregon later this summer and wanted to find a different route. If we're coming from Idaho and want to go through Bend and on to the coast, is Hwy 20 good? Since we'll be in a motorhome, I'd rather not be on narrow, winding roads.

Any suggestions/advice will be appreciated!

Old 05-20-2009, 11:58 AM

479 posts, read 1,401,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbourbaki View Post
sorry, i should have been more clear. I am not looking for directions.

Rather, are there any airport shuttle buses or car services that will go from Bend to Eugene Airport? any idea on cost?
I found this but I don't know if they go from Bend to Eugene.
Central Oregon Airport Shuttle - Bend, OR, 97701 - Citysearch

Or, maybe you can get a short flight from Bend to Eugene:

Welcome to the City of Bend Oregon Website - Bend Municipal Airport (http://www.ci.bend.or.us/depts/urban_renewal_economic_development/bend_airport/index.html - broken link)

Old 05-20-2009, 01:26 PM

3,970 posts, read 12,985,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACTS Mom View Post
Thank you for your note, even though I'm not the OP. We're planning another trip to Oregon later this summer and wanted to find a different route. If we're coming from Idaho and want to go through Bend and on to the coast, is Hwy 20 good? Since we'll be in a motorhome, I'd rather not be on narrow, winding roads.

Any suggestions/advice will be appreciated!
Yes Hwy 20 is fine for any vehicle. It is 2-lane, but a lot of passing lanes too.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:07 PM

480 posts, read 2,364,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACTS Mom View Post
I found this but I don't know if they go from Bend to Eugene.
Central Oregon Airport Shuttle - Bend, OR, 97701 - Citysearch

Or, maybe you can get a short flight from Bend to Eugene:

Welcome to the City of Bend Oregon Website - Bend Municipal Airport (http://www.ci.bend.or.us/depts/urban_renewal_economic_development/bend_airport/index.html - broken link)

Only way to get to Eugene from Bend Municipal Airport is to charter a flight. Commercial flights all leave from Redmond. I don't think you can fly to Eugene from Redmond any more - you have to go via PDX. I am not aware of any shuttle service between Bend and Eugene.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:21 AM

113 posts, read 695,620 times
I've driven this route many times, and hwy 20 is NOT ideal for an RV. It has a couple rough spots due to road wash outs a couple years ago that haven't been properly fixed. If I were driving a RV from Bend to Eugene, I would take 97 south to 58 west. its an easy road for a large vehicle, and some really pretty sights. May take a little longer, but much less stressful. I haven't taken 126 into Eugene, but I have driven 126/20 to Corvallis many times. I pulled a trailer one time, and I took the 58 route to I-5 up to Corvallis just to avoid the hairpin turns and downward slopes of hwy20. I feel I saved my brakes a lot of wear.

Coming from Idaho, I like both highways, 20 through Burns, and 26 through John Day. The 26 route is much more scenic than the long straights of hwy 20, neither one is very challenging. Hwy 26 has more elevation changes, but nothing too crazy.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:19 AM

7,785 posts, read 17,589,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendite View Post
Only way to get to Eugene from Bend Municipal Airport is to charter a flight. Commercial flights all leave from Redmond. I don't think you can fly to Eugene from Redmond any more - you have to go via PDX. I am not aware of any shuttle service between Bend and Eugene.
Or the Bend shuttle to Portland and then Amtrak south to Eugene. Likewise the Amtrak shuttle from Bend to Chemult and then Amtrak from there to Eugene. The first option will be faster (although "fast" is a relative term in either of these options), because there are more trains that run the Eugene-Portland-Seattle line. In the second option, there is only one train a day that goes north from Chemult to Eugene and it's frequently late.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:18 AM

1 posts, read 13,851 times
Wink Driving conditions on Hwy 126

Here's my question/concern: I need to get to Eugene from Bend on 12/21/12. I'm concerned (actually, my wife more so than me) about the drive. We've done this more than once in the summer time, but never in the winter. We are NOT Oregon natives, as you might have already figured out.

How safe is this? Will I need chains? I don't have studded or even all-weather tires. The best route, of course - although a bit longer - is Hwy 20 to the 126, and from there into Eugene. (The other route is closed in the winter anyway, and we've done that. No point in doing that at any time of year, unless driving very slowly through the forest is your thing.)

We've had a very mild winter so far, but as anyone in Central OR can tell you, that can change very quickly. Any and all feedback appreciated. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon